Marriage/Common-Law/Conjual Sponsorship - Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marriage/Common-Law/Conjual Sponsorship - Canada

My SO and I have decided that I will be the one to move to Canada (from the US), however I'm a little unsure about the difference between common-law and the conjugal sponsorships and what they entail. I understand the marriage part of it, and while we do have the intentions of becoming married in the future, we would like to live together first before we do that. It has nothing to do with commitment, more or less we want to make sure that living together, especially with me in another country works and fits nicely into our lives.

From what I've read, it seems like a conjugal relationship is one like marriage, however you're unable to be together because of certain circumstances?

Does anyone have any clarification on this?

Additionally, if you are approved for the visa, do you also have to apply for some type of adjustment to be able to work or does that get coupled in with the application?

One more question: Can you go up as a visitor and apply for a temporary work visa or are there procedures in place to stop things like that from happening?

Any advice would be great!

B

Conjugal partnership is basically that you've been in a long-term relationship but can't actually live together. You have to be together for at least a year. You'll also need to prove why you can't live together, which obviously is because you live in different countries. You'll need tons of proof of your relationship. I actually have a friend who has done this recently, so feel free to PM me and I'll relay questions to her.

Comment

But I thought it was for reasons beyond your control?

Comment

It is, if neither of you can get visas to live in the other persons country then it is out of your control.

Also you can't just go to Canada and get a temp work permit. If you are a member or commonwealth countries you can get a holiday work permit but if not you need to apply for a work permit and generally a skilled workers visa which means you need to have a specific form of work from the list before you can apply. You have to apply for both outside of the country.

My SO is English and we plan to apply for the common law visa next year. We'll have lived together two years and have the proof. I was reading up on it though and to apply for it I basically will have to say I am willing to sponsor him and have funds to support him incase he can't find work.

Comment

So he's lived there with you for two years and hasn't worked? Once you apply for common law, can he legally work?

I'm trying to find the best way to do this and I'm so discouraged right now and I feel like I'm being rushed and I'm freaking out.

Comment

Im liviing in the Uk with him.

Comment

Originally posted by bethanymkeegan View Post
              So he's lived there with you for two years and hasn't worked? Once you apply for common law, can he legally work?

I'm trying to find the best way to do this and I'm so discouraged right now and I feel like I'm being rushed and I'm freaking out.
              If it is the same conditions as in Australia, you will get a work permit if your visa application is accepted.

BUT you need a sponsor who earns x amount of $$$ to say that they will cover your expenses in case you cannot find work. Over here, you are unable to get unemployment benefits from the Australian government with a temporary visa.

Comment

Working...
              X