Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow Moving Price Shock

Wow is really all I can say.

After getting all these estimates over the phone for how much it'll cost for me to get movers and packers for my little studio, my quotes ranged from $1,800 - $2,500 which is what I was expecting. I literally have 10 pieces of furniture.

So how much am I going to pay? $3,620.23. OUCH. And yes, that's the lowest quote I could get with negotiation.

And just in case anyone is wondering, I live in a 472 square foot studio. Yup, that's how much it is to move a studio 1,700 miles.

It would be cheaper to sell your stuff and buy Ikea things when you get there. Thats expensive!

Comment

No, unfortunately I have some things that are very expensive and I won't sell because I cannot afford to buy them back and I'm very attached to them. Additionally I have a pretty extensively collection of records I WILL NOT part with and none of this would fit in my car. Sadly I did the math and get a UHaul to bring my stuff would cost about the same (gas and what not and I PHYSICALLY cannot do the work myself). I asked the guy if I got rid of my couch if it'd back a difference and he said it'd be about $20, which doesn't make it worth it at all.

I talked to my mom and she's going to give me a loan for the extra cost because she knows that I'm really limited physically in what I can do moving wise and it's just something I have to pay. I think I posted this more as a hey people, look out for this cost because I know I wasn't prepared at all.

Comment

That's steep. :/ I'm glad your mother's giving you a loan, but yowza! I don't want to think about what moving costs will be like for my partner... I can't really see him leaving his computer behind or certain possessions he inherited from his mother. I suppose we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
        { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
        Met online: February 2009
        Feelings confessed: December 2010
        Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
        Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
        First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
        Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
        Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
        Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
        to be continued...

Comment

Well it was certainly cheaper for me to move internationally! I sold all my stuff, gave away 3/4 of my clothes, packed what was left and my good knife onto 2 checked bags and left!

Comment

Wow that is a LOT of money. S:

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
            Well it was certainly cheaper for me to move internationally! I sold all my stuff, gave away 3/4 of my clothes, packed what was left and my good knife onto 2 checked bags and left!
            It was the same for me! I gave or threw away most of my stuff, put some boxes in my parents house and moved with just 2 big suitcases.

Comment

It's just not an option for me to get all new stuff. My record collection is irreplaceable, many of them were my moms, my artwork was painted by my aunt, my shelves were a gift and retail at $1,800. Plus, if I buy new things I still have to pay to have it moved in and assembled, these are things I can't do on my own because of my back issues. I know this is the right thing to do - hiring the movers, it's just well ... that's more than double what my horse cost lol.

Comment

Ouch... : {
                sigpic
                Not to get clever
                but with you I see forever
                But whatever it is,
                Here's to you,
                I Love You Kid...

Comment

I wish I had a cheaper solution to offer, but there's really nothing else to be done - not if you really need to hold on to those possessions.

I'm in a similar position; I'll be moving cross-country this summer for graduate school. I also have many friends who are in the midst of the same process, and no matter which way anyone cuts it, everyone says the cheapest (and easiest) route is to just sell off all your furniture and buy new stuff when you get there. Fortunately, I don't have any furniture of my own to begin with...I'm limiting myself to whatever I can fit in the car!

That's great that your mom's willing to loan you the extra money. I hope all your stuff gets there safely! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X