Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, I'd move without the ring!

Comment

I'd gladly move without a ring, because I want to have lived with my SO before getting engaged/married. No matter how perfect you are together, it can be different to actually living together.

Comment

My SO moved to me first, then I moved away (again...) and I'll be moving to him after he moves back to his home state again. So, absolutely. (But I won't move without a job first.)

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

i guess it depends on the couple... to me moving for someone (and possibly moving in too) is a very big commitment in its own. My So and I got engaged way before we went LD, so it's not applicable in our case; but even if we hadn't, as long as it's clear that we're in a committed relationship and are working towards common goals, i would move across the world for him..
          Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
          And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
          ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
            I moved to another country without being engaged.
            Same here.
            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I intend to move without the ring. My boyfriend has said before that he sees his future with me, even blew his surprise proposal plans one time while under the influence. I know without a doubt I want to be with him forever, but the thought of moving without that all important ring on my finger freaked me out a bit too just because I was raised to not "live in sin" or whatever you want to call it. I saw it as a guarantee when it really isn't. I allowed myself to get a little too freaked out about it, to the point where I put the wagon way before the horse and had a bit of a falling out with my boyfriend about it, something we're working through now. In thinking about it, and separating my feelings on the issue from everyone else's, it really isn't important to me. What is important is that I trust in my boyfriend, I trust in how he feels about me and how I feel about him, and I trust in our relationship. If things end up not working out, then at least I took the risk and followed my heart and know that I have a massive support system to go back to.

Comment

Even though Dylan is moving to me, it will be without a ring. We know we want to get married, but we also know we need some practical, 'real-life' time together first. Also, I've had a ring before, and it's all about the relationship behind it. If your relationship is strong and genuine, I wouldn't put so much emphasis on the ring. Besides, moving is just as big of a commitment, I think. And, when in doubt, prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Have a back up plan (just in case, if it makes you feel more comfortable) and follow your heart, like Heathergro said.

ETA: What I meant to say was, I had a ring from an ex and it didn't mean as much as this relationship with Dylan does.
                Last edited by Katelyn313; June 26, 2012, 11:15 AM. Reason: I can't articulate my thoughts
                My motor runs a lover's heartbeat
                It's just me and you
                Put the pedal to the metal
                Baby, turn the radio on
                We can run to the far side of nowhere
                We can run 'til the days are gone

Comment

I would move to get my ring lol Since, I am from another country we have to be married so I can be there legally. If I were you (live in the same country) I would just move closer to him and not move in with him until he propose. When he talked about marriage and future of me moving or whatever I just asked him.. so where is my ring? then he told me to come and get it.

Comment

Yes. I am going to. However, my situation is merely going to the same college now. I would be going anyway, so it's less important that our relationship is that firmly established. We have a lot of growing to do before making that step together.

Comment

I'm with a few of the others on here in that I would prefer to live with someone for a while before jumping into a marriage so yes I would move without a ring. It's probably not such a big deal for me though because I have moved around a bit in my life and if I moved to be with my guy then I would actually be moving closer to my family & friends. I think I would still want some kind of indication that marriage was on the cards though, or at least a confession of love (we aren't at the 'I love you' stage yet). I like to be organised as well so would want to have a back-up plan in case it didn't work out. A job to go to would also be high on the priority list.

Comment

I would. Although I don't think it is possible for me to move to her without marriage. She could come here though.

Comment

I would be willing/planning to move without a ring. I have a very versatile job and am self sufficient and financially independent. Now, given immigration laws, it might be quite a challenge to complete the move without the ring so will have to wait and see how that goes.

Comment

If I were just to move to his country (but not move in together) I'd probably move for another reason, like a job or education. In that case I wouldn't need a ring or proposal. But I have no reason to move to his country unless we're going to move in together. In that case I'd be willing to move and sample living together for a limited time, say a year or so. I think if after a year of living together we aren't sure whether we'd like to marry each other (with specific plans made), then we probably never will. Marriage is important to me in terms of committment.

Not to mention the legal aspect which will probably require us to get a fiance visa before I can move there.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

I moved without a ring after only 4 months... we have been together a year and a half and i don't doubt his commitment to us. A ring and a piece of paper is small a consideration really. They are just steps that come when you are both ready for them. They are not a guarantee of anything.
                              Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
                              Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
                              Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
                              Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
                              Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

Comment

I plan to be moving without a ring. And like LeilaniJoi said a ring is a small consideration and not a guarantee; I know way too many people who have been engaged and their relationship didn't last.

Comment

Working...
                                X