Stressed with his mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stressed with his mom

To make it simple and short, I pitched in money to help with getting the SO and I a car. His parents though paid for most of it because it would be way too hard for me to get my car all the way down here from Ohio.
    What annoys me is just about every day since we had it his parents are taking it or someone needs to borrow it. His parents - I've checked - ALWAYS have gas in their car- always. If it's not full it's half a tank, and so does our car. Though they continuously NEED to take our car- and it's stressful. I've already asked if it's because they want the car and they say no it's ours, yet ALWAYS take it. I haven't been put on the insurance yet so I haven't got to drive it and when I talk to the SO about it he says it annoys him but if it continues even after I get on the insurance then he'll start really talking to them. But I can't help but get stressed.

His parents (mostly his mother) has officially made it on my bad list from how she's been recently. It's been about 4 1/2 months and has finally hit me emotionally, and I'm honestly getting fed up with it. I don't like his family or how they are and have been considering just going back home. But it's so hard because it's not HIM it's his family! They're always saying you have to share everything with family, and his mother always tells me to watch my tongue and not get mad at this or that person. She tries to keep everyone happy and is always giving to other people yet doesn't understand why she doesn't have anything! She's nice and kind and all of that but LIES to everyone to keep them happy. Me or the SO can't even talk about online about what we've done or what restaurant we went to or what we did throughout the say because his SISTER can't find out! Because she gets 'jealous'! His sister is a THIRTY year old woman with her own place, and has a job. Yet we can't talk about our lives at all because she'll get jealous? His parents have been in a rutt and broke because they've been helping her out with food, and gas, and all of that. His sister just had to use our car yesterday because she didn't have gas!

My family was like this to my sister but not THIS bad, I honestly also moved here to get away from my family and they're honestly 50% worse than mine!

I just don't know how to handle them anymore or if I can. I just spent so much money on transferring my license and with the car, etc. I want to go to college here because my city doesn't offer the program I want but what else can I do? I'd be all for starting a job and getting my own place here but nobody will hire me!

/rant
    sigpic
    We've been together since 10.11.10

First Visit-7.13.11
    Second Visit-12.17.11
    Closed the distance-06.20.12

I feel like this is what makes it difficult, when you're this young and completely dependent on your SO's family. You'll have to live with them if you and your SO end up married in general, but you don't typically have to literally live with them. What about support from your family? Are you currently getting any?
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Comment

My parents do send me as much money as they can which is usually $30 a week but lately they haven't been able to send that much because my dad's job is screwing him over!

And he's just such a momma's boy it bugs me and his mother is always around and always telling both of us what we can and can't do or what we shouldn't do! For example- a silly one- He had accidentally gave me a small hickey on my neck and she kept yelling at both of us saying he isn't allowed to do that because people think bad of me, etc. It's like- seriously? It wasn't even noticeable, and she wouldn't be quiet about it and it's my body anyways. I don't ever see people getting judged because of that, maybe years and years ago. Almost everything has to be run by his mother and honestly I'm just hitting my breaking point with his family.
      It's also even worse because she only speaks spanish and I barely know any so I can't ever actually talk to her about anything and while I'm here trying to learn spanish she throws a fit when someone tells her to learn english!
      sigpic

First Visit-7.13.11
      Second Visit-12.17.11

Comment

wow...holy protective mother batman...sheesh...not sure how much of that i would be able to put up with to be honest...i am very much a family guy...but this is ridiculous...i get that you are living there...and that you have to abide by their rules...but sounds like a bit much to me...does your SO work?...i would say for you...keep trying to find someone that will hire you...take whatever you can find...even if it's a couple jobs with a few hours...talk to your SO about how you are feeling...and that you want to get out of there asap.....that you can't take it...if the 2 of you are ever gonna have a good relationship...you need to get away from his family....and live by your own rules...and as for the things with his sister...are you kidding me?...sounds like she needs to get a life of her own...and stop worrying about yours and your SO's...do what you have to do for yourselves...

Comment

My mum had the "no hickies" rule too, think it's a generational thing. I have actually gotten flack from workmates and strangers for having them though, so I don't think it's unfoundered. Plently of places under your clothes where he can mark you as much as you like!

I sympathise with you. It's hard living with the inlaws. All families are a bit messed up, but it's only ok when they are your own haha. But yeah, not a lot you can do until you get a job and get out of there. I guess on the car front, you can always say "No, I need our car, I'm jobhunting today" or whaever. I don't think that'd be rude.
          Anyway, I just wanted to wish you luck! Don't give up on this just yet, because your plan is a good one and the reward will likely outweigh the cost.
          When does your course start?
          Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

When I say no the hubby gets upset and so does his mom, every time I get annoyed I'm put down as the bad guy so I can't really even say anything anymore! I won't even get to start college until next year because financial aid will not pay for an out of state student and I don't have the 20k to pay for college. I have to wait a year to be considered a resident here so then I can qualify for in state tuition. Both of us have applied almost everywhere around here and his grandmother is even helping us get in with some people but we have NO luck whatsoever! It's just so stressful, but like I said if I go back home- I'll have to drive 2 hours away every day to go to school which where am I gonna get that gas money?
            sigpic

First Visit-7.13.11
            Second Visit-12.17.11

Comment

Working...
            X