No announcement yet.

Living with others: from your parents to your partner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think it's important to try living by yourself (i.e. away from your parents' house) before moving in permanently with your partner?
    i would say its rather a case of knowing yourself more than living on your own. granted some may argue that you need to live alone anyways first to know yourself; however i argue that living with someone makes you concious of your limits/ trigger points, what is deemed acceptable behaviour, and knowing your part of the household duties... be it that you are sharing with family, friends or OH. Living on your own for too long can reinforce bad habits gained (ie leaving laundry on the floor) which would be harder to change once moving in with another.

although my SO had shared before; he'd never shared with a woman before and stated he liked his space. that made me doubt to move in straight away; so i slept a week at my friends then a week at his til i could find accoms. However eventually i gave up the chase and moved in perm. the honeymoon phase wore off, but we'd adjusted to a good routine. he still has his moments (i'm the messier of us 2) and he does a big clean that i cannot take part or he'll stress. even if in the same room we can still do our own thing, or i just go into the other room.

so living together doesn't necessarily mean giving up your own interests or being 'together' 24/7. hope that helps!!

ps- if you like baking claim the kitchen as yours; sure its sterotypical, but i find nothing beats bordem better than whipping up a cake to the radio and not letting my SO in to help... its all mine!! nom nom

Comment

I'm in that situation currently, and I'm not entirely sure. I'd say it probably is, but I guess it depends on how adaptable you are.

Comment

I've lived out of home for almost 2 years now. I feel like it would definitely help to make the transition to living with your partner smoother. It forced me to be more independent, improving my cooking and cleaning skills.

Plus you will also be used to be away from your family.

Comment

Working...
        X