Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I tell my parents that I want to move to the other side of the world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I tell my parents that I want to move to the other side of the world?

Hello everyone!
    I’d like to move to Australia where my SO live.
    Starting by saying that my parents don’t know about him. They’ve met him as a friend of mine, and although they could imagine that there’s something between us, they don’t know that he is now living in Australia.
    I really don’t know how to tell them. I can’t stop imaging my mother’s face…that face that everyone make hearing someone going nuts…
    I’ve always loved travelling and they know it. Last time I talked to my mother about my dream of going to work abroad(it was not the first time) was last November. She wasn’t the happiest person in the world. That time I may have putted the situation in the wrong way because I was kind of generally speaking.
    I was like I floored her and she had a lot of doubts and questions. Mostly she was concerned about the fact that I would move to another country on my own, with no job and none to count on. (my bad ) I didn’t want to tell her about my SO and we didn’t mentioned Australia but Europe, Canada and then I don’t remember because we where generally speaking.
    The good thing is that I've been working on my parents for years, slowly breaking down their fears…but now it’s like I don’t have more time to do that.
    I'm of the opinion that if I listen to my parents I will regret it for the rest of my life.
    With the skills I will acquire, I should have plenty of opportunity. I'll have a world of experiences to look back on, a better understanding of the life and myself, and even more importantly, a great sense of accomplishment in the fact that I've lived my life exactly how I wanted to.
    My parents are a little old fashioned and I think that, beyond the fact that I want to move, the other “problem” is that I'm a girl. But I’m 26, not 16!
    I understand my mother's fears and that it's very difficult being a parent when your children move out, especially far away, but children grow up and choose their own lives. It is painful but inevitable.
    It’s like this is making me feel guilty because I dare to move miles far from her. I know that I’m making a huge decision that will affect the rest of my life, and my family knows that I will be seeing very little of them if move so far away, but it's also very important to create a life on my own. I want to live my life.
    There are many ways to stay in touch with family. Skype is amazing (we know it too well )
    Plenty of people emigrate every year and they make their familial relationships work.
    Families who tend to stay all grouped together aren't necessarily happier than families whose sons and daughters emigrated. I would rather have a child a thousand miles away who’s happy than one around the corner who’s depressed.
    I may make a mistake, and it will cost me financially, but it will also teach me stuff and take me to the next stage of my life…And if it doesn't work out I could come always back.
    I’d like to explain to them that given the way of the world at the moment, if someone see that they could make a better future overseas, then they should go for it.

So, I want to talk to them and this time I want to be prepared.
    It sounds like it could be difficult if not impossible to get them to understand why I want to travel, so maybe I can focus on what they do understand.
    Trying to find ways of making the travels sound like a good idea even to them.
    I’ve found a web site where you can look for internship and jobs all over the world, so maybe I can show it to them. I can show them that it won't be a complete "waste of time"…

What would you say?
    The thing I fear the most is the matter of the about 10000 miles…what can I say about it? Do I have to tell them about my SO?(I know I should)
    I can also mention some acquaintances that have moved down under but that don’t live where my SO does.
    Any advice?

Sorry… I feet a bit claustrophobic about this situation!

You don't mention which country you are from, I'm presuming it's UK.
    Have you considered the working holiday visa Australia offers? That way you are only going for a year (according to your family) you can look into adjusting to a partner visa if things work out for you and your SO?

Comment

I think that no matter how you tell your family/friends it will be difficult, migrating to another country IS an emotional process. Some people take it better than others when they find out that their loved one is moving away and some take it very hard but this doesn't change YOUR goals and decisions for your life. If your mum has your happiness and best interests at heart she will eventually come around and support you.. and if she doesn't.. well, do you really want someone in your life who doesn't support you?

My SO is moving from the UK to Australia and his family completely do not support this decision. It has been very difficult for him and has made him see his families 'true colours' in a way, who knows what the future holds with the relationship with his family when he does move to Australia this year.. it's not an easy situation but its one that could be better if his family choose to support him

the fact is that you are an adult, people move all over the world all the time and leave people behind, it will be rocky emotionally to figure out how you function with your family long distance.. but a lot of people do it, you can have a successful family relationship IF everyone involved is supportive and committed to having good relationships regardless of where you might live.
      Met Online: February 2009
      Feelings grew: January 2011
      First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
      Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
      Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
      Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
      Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
      Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
      Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
      Engaged: 1st of July 2012
      Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
      Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
      Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
      Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
      Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
      Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

I don't know how old you are, but it sounds like you're old enough to make this decision and move on your own. If you want to do it, I say go for it! Your mother will come to terms with it in time.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kristin91 View Post
          I don't know how old you are, but it sounds like you're old enough to make this decision and move on your own. If you want to do it, I say go for it! Your mother will come to terms with it in time.
          She said she was 26 in her post.
          Met Online: February 2009
          Feelings grew: January 2011
          First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
          Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
          Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
          Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
          Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
          Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
          Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
          Engaged: 1st of July 2012
          Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
          Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
          Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
          Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
          Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
          Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

I think parents will always want their children close by. No matter how old you are. I'm planning on moving to the US sometime this year. My parents don't like it because they'll miss me but they still support me. They told me it was my decision and if this was what I wanted to do, they would support that.
            But we are only planning on staying for a couple of years and then move back to Europe so I guess that eased their minds a little
            I'm sure your parents will come round eventually. You can't give up your dreams and not move just because of that.

Comment

Thank you so much for all your support and advices. They cheer me up a bit

Originally posted by Jazi View Post
              I think that no matter how you tell your family/friends it will be difficult, migrating to another country IS an emotional process. Some people take it better than others when they find out that their loved one is moving away and some take it very hard but this doesn't change YOUR goals and decisions for your life. If your mum has your happiness and best interests at heart she will eventually come around and support you.. and if she doesn't.. well, do you really want someone in your life who doesn't support you?
              You’re right!
              I’m sorry for how your SO’s family is reacting to him moving there, and I understand how difficult can be a situation like that. Hope time will change his family’s mind.
              I don’t know if I’ll be “brave” enough to do that, but on the other side this is still my life and I want to this.
              Yesterday I talked to one of my relatives on the phone and I vaguely mentioned the fact that I want to leave this country for several reasons. She said something like “Are you half-mad? The work situation isn’t better in other countries…This travelling thing again? You’ve always been so stubborn!”…but after, talking about things in life she said “It’s important to have a goal in life, and, when you have one, go for it!” I really broke down and cried and I think she didn’t notice it.
              I’ve heard this phrase tons of times…I was like “Are you kidding me?” and “why can’t that phrase be applicable to my situation?”
              There’re lots of things going on in my mind right now…

Originally posted by Jasmine30 View Post
              You don't mention which country you are from, I'm presuming it's UK.
              Have you considered the working holiday visa Australia offers? That way you are only going for a year (according to your family) you can look into adjusting to a partner visa if things work out for you and your SO?
              I’m from Italy. I know about WHV, my SO is there with it (in Brisbane actually :P ) …but I think that for my parents this is not enough.
              They’re mainly scared by the fact that (to their eyes) I'll travel trusting to luck, and in a way I get it…

So I think that one of the best solution (if not the only one), is finding a European program, a scholarship, or something “organized” that take me there.
              I'm also considering to tell them that I could go to Australia for an organized English course (I know just EF, an it’s not cheap), and at the end of it, see if something comes up.
              I'll have to come up with a plan. What do you think/suggest?

Sorry but I needed to vent…

Comment

Have you ever tried being honest and direct? I have a grandfather who's never in support of anything I do, and the most effective communication I've ever had with him has been when I've been honest and genuine. I once told him I was going out of the country at the last minute and said I wanted to share it with him earlier but I was scared he wouldn't support me, because he's had the tendency to be negative about my travelling in the past and yet it's something I need to do for me and I wish he would support me in my endeavors. Have you ever considered telling your family that it hurts you when they call you "half-mad" or "stubborn" versus trying to convince them why travelling is a good thing? Maybe saying something like, "I really appreciate the fact that you all care enough to make sure that this is something I really want and have thought through, but it is, and I know that you all think I'm being stubborn but if I want to travel, I'm going to find a way to travel. I would like that to be something I could share with you, and talk about with you, because it isn't unavoidable and you're my family, I love you and want to tell you everything! But if it is going to be something that you can't support or that you're going to criticise every time I bring up, then I think it's going to have to be something we don't talk about and I will tell you when my departure dates are." Sometimes people don't realise they aren't being supportive in the right way, or even at all, until it's bluntly pointed out to them and underlined with the consequence. But if you simply choose to sweep it under the rug, you likely won't ever get that support through trying to reason.

Comment

I had this same situation a couple weeks ago with my grandparents... they're the same sort of people who were even against me looking into moving to the midwest. But in the end you just have to come out with it, and they might surprise you. If they know you really want to do this and you do have some sort of plan (you do have a plan... right?), they might just support you in it rather than potentially damaging their relationship with you by trying to convince you to stay. And in the end, you've made your decision. Whether or not they agree with it, it'll be a great load off your chest once you tell them.

Comment

You’re both right. Each time I tell them I want to travel I’m always honest about what I really want to do and always show them what my plans are. The point is that every time I bring it up they see it like a tantrum(don’t know if it’s the right word) and it really hurts that they don’t understand that’s something “I need” to do, to be myself…because it’s the only thing that makes me happy…

Meanwhile I’ve googled a lot, looking for valid solutions to include in my plan.
                    I think I could start as an au-pair and after looking for a job there. I’ve made a list of Italian schools where I can teach, so I could give out my résumé there. I also speak Spanish and French so I could apply for jobs in tourism field (as receptionist in hotel and so on). I could also apply for jobs in hospitality, in which, as far as I know, you don’t need to have specific experiences and lots of people that have WHV work in that field.

I haven’t told my SO about this troubles I’m having because I don’t want to deceive him. I can’t tell him that I’m thinking about closing the distance and at least I won’t be able to do it

Thank you for all your support

Comment

Working...
                    X