Temporary close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporary close

hi all, first off, apologies for not posting on the forum in such a long time but some of you might remember that i had a baby girl in the first week of February and well, life has been absolutely hectic! i'm knackered but loving motherhood, it's just an emotional rollercoaster at the moment.

Update: So, my SO was supposed to leave (to return to London) when the baby was 6 weeks old but after lots of thought and realising how hard it was to cope with the baby, he suggested that i return with him. so, we've been back in London for the past month and a half it's a temporary closing of the distance because i'm only on a tourist visa. if we'd sorted out my spouse visa, we would've had to wait another 3 months or so and i couldn't face being without him for so long, specially that we now have the baby.

in all fairness, things have been really hard even if we've temporarily closed the distance. i miss my parents beyond words, they supported me throughout my pregnancy when my SO and i were still long distance and i was living with my parents and they were so helpful when the baby was born as well.

it was alright when it was just my SO and myself and we were living in London alone but now, i crave the family life and i'm really missing it.

but yes, i know, i'm thrilled to be with my SO.

but the future is uncertain, we don't know how things are gonna work out. who's gonna be living where. i spend a lot of time worrying about that when i know i should most probably enjoy the present but it's really hard, when my SO goes to work, i'm all alone with the baby. and it amplifies the absence of my parents and friends.

i would love some input from you guys, just to gain some perspective and it's great telling you guys what i'm going through, because i know you understand and relate <3

wishing you guys a lovely weekend. thank you for reading

wow exciting evrything! hope it all works out like you want to.
    can't you skype a bit more with your parents? it surely have opend my moms view

Comment

hi dragonlady, thanks for your reply. we skyped on a weekly basis initially but then most of the time the baby requires my undivided attention and it's hard, what with the time difference etc, to set up a skype date with them.
      but i think the most important thing right now, is my SO and i have to resolve the issue of how to close the LD permanently. financially though, it just doesn't make sense to do so. he works here in the UK. if we move back to my home country, we'll be starting from scratch and i don't think we can do that considering we are now responsible for a baby.

Comment

I think, as you said, your priority right now should be finding a way to stay CD for good (and of course taking care of the baby ). Once that's sorted out, or is at least on the way to being resolved, you can concentrate on working out how to see your family and friends back home more often. You can't worry about fixing everything at once because you'll end up burning out! Regarding support here, does your SO have family living nearby you can turn to? Or are there any local mother and baby groups you could join? The important thing is that you and your SO aren't apart right now, but there are always other people you can reach out to if you feel the need.

For what it's worth, I think you and your SO must be two very brave, strong people. You're holding your little family together against the odds, so have faith that you'll be able to work the practicalities out in due course one way or another Also, I just re-read your post and realised you're in London like me, so before I go, here's a big hug for you from down in the south east!

Comment

Congratulations on the baby! Enjoy it, but don't feel guilty if you can't be happy 100% of the time, worrying is natural, I have no experience with having kids (yet ) - but I suppose your brain gets even more alert to potential discomfort when you have to take care of another little life.

I think even if the closed distance is temporary, you should probably try to think how to make yourself happy there - like lademoiselle suggested, it would probably be helpful if you try to find some new friends that are close to you - Skype is good for staying in touch, but it can't replace your social life. And then you can see if you want to stay there or if you really can't get used to being out of your home country - these decisions take a while...

I wish you all best!

Comment

Congratulations on the baby! That is so exciting!

I don't have much advice for you on how to stay more involved with your family. I generally use Skype when I'm with my family. However, I just wanted to say that I applied for my spouse visa this past December, and it only took about 6 weeks for me to get my UK spouse visa. I applied priority and even had to send in extra documents during the Christmas and New Year's holidays. I'm not sure if it's taking that much extra time now that they're being sent to the UK. If you would like any help with your spouse visa, I would be more than happy to help. Just let me know.
            "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
            Made it official: September 17, 2010
            Got engaged: January 15, 2012
            Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
            Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
            Got married: November 21, 2012
            Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
            Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Working...
            X