No announcement yet.

Studying Abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry your friends don't see it the way you see. I'm also planning to move abroad to study. I just first need to finish my bachelor's and then apply to the business university in Vienna, Austria. I had already planned to do my masters abroad before I fell in love with my SO. Now I just know the destination. And there also happens to be a perfect program in the uni. But before that I still need to stay here in Finland for one more year... hence a LDR.

I have one issue with this also. Everybody who I've told about this moving idea has been supportive. All my friends, my brother's wife (who's like a sister to me and I completely trust her) and so on.. But I haven't even hinted my parents because I KNOW they would disapprove. They really like my SO and think he's nice, polite, handsome, smart etc. But my mother has an issue with me going abroad. She has practically denied a language course from me when I was 15 (was shocked when my brother suggested it would be good for me), she totally objected when I wanted to go inter railing with my ex bf when I was 17 (luckily my dad approved and we went!), she was first a bit shocked when I told I've been accepted to do an exchange semester when I was 20 and told me I can always quit it and come back to Finland if I don't like to be there. I mean.. how the hell am I supposed to learn to be independent if I'm on a leash? So I'm afraid she, my usually wonderful and lovely mother, would try to sabotage my relationship if I would tell her about our plans before it's sure.

Maybe she wouldn't but she's never really trusted my judgment even though I'm pretty much the perfect daughter and studying in one of the best schools in the country. I got a great summer job on my own, I'm smart and I have never ever done anything totally stupid. I wish I knew I could trust her and get her support before I go. I wish I could be excited with her and talk about silly stuff like livingroom decorations with her.. Of course I know she will support me after I've already gone and she's got used to the idea... It just worries me when I have to keep it as a secret for one more year.

Comment

Originally posted by pytsip View Post
      So a huge twist in the whole thing. As I said before, the whole reason why I had not done study abroad before was because I didn't want to be leaving someone behind. I just got news that my SO and his best friend are now coming home in January to finish their degrees. So as it appears, I will now be the one leaving him behind while I go to China.
      Sorry, didn't catch this post when I replied before.

I still say go for it. Even if you're leaving him behind, do it for you. Both my SO and I have done study abroad programs. He "left me" behind while he was in Spain, and it was tough, but I survived. I also left my high school sweetheart behind when I went to France, and our relationship didn't end until way after I got back, for absolutely unrelated reasons. If you never go, you'll regret it, so my advice is to not let anyone or anything other than exactly what YOU want influence your decision.
      "All you need is love, love, love. Love is all you need."

Comment

And what if you are moving there to close the distance a lil. Is not the business of your friends, you don't have to justify yourself for them, they have no right, they should only support you and not judge your decisions. Do as you like!

Comment

Working...
        X