Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who did the moving when closing the distance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who did the moving when closing the distance...

Was there anything that you wish your SO had done to help, or anything you think would have helped you more in the move if you were to do it over again?
    The reason I ask is because my SO is moving over in December, and whilst I'll be there to help him pack up and we'll be flying back together, I'm just wondering how I can help him before I get there. He knows that if he ever needs help with anything that he can tell me, but he's the kind of guy who has a huge heart and wouldn't want to put any stress or worry on anyone, especially not me. I just can't help but feel a little bit useless in the situation though, I so badly just want to be over there helping in any and every way I can! Any tips, pointers or advice?

Well in my opinion,I think you're doing enough for now. I mean you'll be there to help pack and fly back with him so that's really all you can do. Most of the help needed I think comes after the move itself. I mean,I packed and made the move all by myself and all he did was buy my ticket. But most of the help I needed didn't come until I was actually here.
    Last edited by LadyDaemon; September 29, 2013, 07:13 AM.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
    Back Together: August 1,2012
    First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
    Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
    Engaged: January 17,2013
    Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
    Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
    We Got Married! - July 3,2014
    SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
    Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LadyDaemon View Post
      Well in my opinion,I think you're doing enough for now. I mean you'll be there to help pack and fly back with him so that's really all you can do. Most of the help needed I think comes after the move itself. I mean,I packed and made the move all by myself and all he did was buy my ticket. But most of the help I needed didn't come until I was actually here.
      Thanks for the input, I agree with this 110% actually. I didn't really think of it in that way though for some reason. Thanks for that heads up, very handy to have

Comment

Originally posted by delightful View Post
        Thanks for the input, I agree with this 110% actually. I didn't really think of it in that way though for some reason. Thanks for that heads up, very handy to have
        You're quite welcome. ^-^

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
        Back Together: August 1,2012
        First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
        Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
        Engaged: January 17,2013
        Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
        Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
        We Got Married! - July 3,2014
        SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
        Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

I did the moving here. Hmm anything I wish he could have done? Not really. I hate to pack so it would have been nice having a little help with my kitchen stuff, but other than that, he did all he could. We were 5 hours away so every time is come to visit, I'd bring a truckload of boxes & stuff. When my moving day finally came, he drove down to meet me & helped with all the big furniture & packing the moving truck. That alone was a HUGE help!! When we got back here (his house) he did what he could to help me unpack.
          Sounds like to me, you're doing all you can. Hopefully he'll ask if he really needs your help!

Comment

When I moved down to CR something that really made me feel special was my SO bought me my favorite things for the apartment. Like my favorite shampoo, my favorite foods, lots of beer, etc. We also went and had lunch at a nearby place the day I flew in. He took off a week from work to help me get settled in and to show me around and stuff. It was very nice.

When he moved to me in the USA I made a big sign for my apartment that said "WELCOME HOME!" The day he moved happened to be Valentine's day so I also made a nice dinner for him and put little hearts around the apartment saying reasons I love him. Corny, but I think it made him feel better about leaving his country behind.

Comment

Originally posted by iHeartt View Post
              I did the moving here. Hmm anything I wish he could have done? Not really. I hate to pack so it would have been nice having a little help with my kitchen stuff, but other than that, he did all he could. We were 5 hours away so every time is come to visit, I'd bring a truckload of boxes & stuff. When my moving day finally came, he drove down to meet me & helped with all the big furniture & packing the moving truck. That alone was a HUGE help!! When we got back here (his house) he did what he could to help me unpack.
              Sounds like to me, you're doing all you can. Hopefully he'll ask if he really needs your help!
              Thanks for the input

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                When I moved down to CR something that really made me feel special was my SO bought me my favorite things for the apartment. Like my favorite shampoo, my favorite foods, lots of beer, etc. We also went and had lunch at a nearby place the day I flew in. He took off a week from work to help me get settled in and to show me around and stuff. It was very nice.

When he moved to me in the USA I made a big sign for my apartment that said "WELCOME HOME!" The day he moved happened to be Valentine's day so I also made a nice dinner for him and put little hearts around the apartment saying reasons I love him. Corny, but I think it made him feel better about leaving his country behind.
                Aw, you two sound like you make such a lovely couple! I really, really love this idea. Got me thinking a lot about what I can do now, although there's the issue where I'm coming back with him at the same time haha, but it would still be nice to have a few of his favourite things there just to help get him settled in and so on
                Thanks very much for the advice!

Comment

Working...
                X