No announcement yet.

I know this is probably stupid...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If she's not planning on going to college, she really should look into some kind of certification beyond high school before trying to move. Getting by on just a high school diploma is tough. For her to actually move to the states, there's only three options I can think of and those are getting accepted into a program (college/university), through finding work leading to a work visa (which is not possible on just a high school diploma), or by marriage (which is not an option right now, full stop.). All of these options require time, serious planning and patience.

Can you go up there to visit her after she graduates from high school, maybe?

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

I suppose I could just have her come down here to visit me over summers, and then we could move in together after she graduatedd. The reason I couldn't move up there is that I already have career oppurtunities lined up in the states. Geez. I hate being so nitpicky. She just wants to get away from everything, spend time with the one she loves. And I want the same for her. We do need to be cautious, though. So, yes... I see the complications. If she isn't going to college, will we have to wait longer after she graduates for her to come down here?

Comment

Check your state laws. Each state in USA differs. In some states it is considered statutory rape to have sex with someone under the age of 18 if you are 18 or over. I think she is too young and it would be in her best interest to wait until she is an adult. Canadian Law means nothing in the USA.
        "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Parabobomb View Post
          I suppose I could just have her come down here to visit me over summers, and then we could move in together after she graduatedd. The reason I couldn't move up there is that I already have career oppurtunities lined up in the states. Geez. I hate being so nitpicky. She just wants to get away from everything, spend time with the one she loves. And I want the same for her. We do need to be cautious, though. So, yes... I see the complications. If she isn't going to college, will we have to wait longer after she graduates for her to come down here?
          I would say she at least needs to be able to hold a good enough job to support herself before thinking about moving. There's really no American employer who'll offer a Canadian with just a high school diploma a job. She'd need to be sponsored by you and get a visa approved. Or get to the point she can show she's able to support you financially and bring you up to Canada.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

Everyone hates their parents at 16. You are both too young, but especially her, to be moving internationally. You just need to wait. Two years MINIMUM.

Comment

I agree that living together is a bad idea, but you can still close the distance. It would be great for the two of you to be close distance for a while then move in together. You could go to her and get a place in her town, (no, it's not easy. none of it will ever be easy.) and date close distance until she's of an appropriate age to be making big life decisions. or, you could wait it out and see if she wants to come to a school near you, then dating close distance while she lives in the dorms.

Comment

Like someone else suggested, how do you plan on paying for the visa? If you do move in together, how do you plan on supporting yourselves? What are you planning on doing with your life? What about her - I mean, what does she want to do with her life, beyond run away from her family?

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                Progress: Working on it.

Comment

So, have you 2 met before? If not, I suggest you visit her first for at least a few weeks! You said you can support her financially, so it shouldn't be a problem to buy a plane-ticket. You should also meet the parents!

Also, what parents will give a 16-year old permission to move abroad - alone - to live with a bf/ stranger? I think that really weird. And why would they pay more money for her schooling when she can have it for free in her own country (assuming it's free in Canada or at least cheaper?)

Also, I think it's very selfish to say, that you could never move there because you get homesick! In a LDR, both should be willing to move to each others country, at least for a while!!!

Comment

So, it would have to be after she graduated highschool? It just hurts being apart considering she doesn't have a phone or computer of her own, so we only talk parts of every day.
                    If you have money, cant you get her a phone or a tablet?
                    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I am 18 years old, she is turning 16 this year...
                      And how will you support her? I am a little sceptical because you are barely an adult yourself. Do you live on your own?
                      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
                        If you have money, cant you get her a phone or a tablet?
                        I was thinking the exact same. Why not buy her one for a birthday present or something?

Comment

Thank you all. I managed to get it all figured out. Yes, we will wait for her to graduate highschool, and yes, last night I wasn't thinking clearly when I posted this. Thank you a whole lot, everyone. I will visit her over the summers, or something, and then when she graduates, we could move in together! The homesick thing I said, I don't know what I was thinking. Of course one of us would have to be.

Comment

Thank you all. I managed to get it all figured out. Yes, we will wait for her to graduate highschool, and yes, last night I wasn't thinking clearly when I posted this. Thank you a whole lot, everyone. I will visit her over the summers, or something, and then when she graduates, we could move in together! The homesick thing I said, I don't know what I was thinking. Of course one of us would have to be.
                            Good to hear, I think in the overall this will be better for both of you. I also think that you too will be stronger than ever when you reunite for good. Best of Luck and enjoy LFAD.
                            "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                            X