Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what things will you miss when you leave your country and what will you not miss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what things will you miss when you leave your country and what will you not miss?

I was thinking about this today as I saw a thread "things you miss about your SO's country".

It got me thinking what things I will miss about my home country when I move to America to close the distance and be with the love of my life.

this is my list of things I will miss
    1) the historic castles and stately homes we have in England
    2) British chocolate and sweets(candy)
    3) Haribo sweets, I know they are German, But my fiance told me they only have gold bears/gummy bears in America, I love haribo Tangfastics and starmix.
    4) British made cheese, like Cornish brie and cottage cheese.
    5) Cornish ice cream
    6) Cornish pasties
    7) Yorkshire Puddings
    8) British scones, I have heard that America has scones but theirs are sour and the English ones are sweet.
    9) British biscuits, which they call Cookies in America, we have great brands of biscuits here.
    10) English Tea, I know some brands are sold over there, but some are not.
    11) The beach only being an hour or 2 away by car or train, as when I move to Minnesota, USA the nearest beach will be nearly 20 hours away.
    12)Guy Fawkes Night (which is a night for fireworks on November 5th)
    13)knowing about British events( But I may be able to keep up with it online, such as BBC websites)

Things I won't miss

1)The crowded large town I live in, it will make a nice change to be living in a small town(which is only an hour from the city)
    2)People in England calling their friends "mates" I don't like that term.
    3) Traffic in the large town and in London
    4) How expensive it is to buy food, it is cheaper to in America
    5) How the crafts stores in England don't stock much Scrapbooking supplies.
    6) Football(soccer) crazy fans, as Football is the main sport here.
    7) How people don't say hello in the street, as I like the fact Americans are friendly like that.
    8) How it rains in England about 80% of the year
    9) How England never gets snow for Christmas
    10)Boring British sitcoms and soaps etc.

What about you???

Things I will miss from my home country are food stuff. I miss these now because I don't live in my home country. Things I will miss from the USA - nothing lol

Jerk Chicken
    festivals
    bammy
    Ackee & saltfish
    Beef patties
    Met Online : July 2013
    Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
    2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
    3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
    Proposal : December 2014
    Closed distance : February 2015
    Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

You are going to miss tangfastics so bad, seriously :P better stock up while you can!
      So, here you are
      too foreign for home
      too foreign for here.
      Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Free healthcare obviously, when I move from Canada to the U.S xD

Comment

For me it is going to be:
          driving on the 'correct' side of the road
          My car - I can't take it with me and it is my project and hobby for the past 11 years
          using good old £'s and pennies
          decent chocolate
          unsweetened food & drinks - Sugar in Cream and bread for example, as well as US fizzy/soft drinks (Soda)
          decent Squash (the drink) - Cool aid tastes of nothing but sugar to me!
          the UK colour in the countryside, the trees, the smells etc
          Hearing the British accent, in all the regional variations
          My Family
          No adverts on some TV channels, or if they are ads, not terrible amateur creations that make me cringe every 10mins they come on TV!

there are tons more... but I have no choice to give all that up to close the distance, and that is what I'd rather have more so can't dwell on it too much, planes make the world a smaller place and so I'll get my fix once a year at least, if not twice

To the OP - a Scone in the UK is called a Biscuit in the US, as I had some made for me when I was there last time

Comment

If I moved, I would surely miss salty liqurice and smoked, salted meat and fish. Most other things I guess I could make myself.. I would also miss Norwegian worklife rules, and 12 month payed maternity leave. I would miss Norwegian summers as well, my family and close friends.
            I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
            - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
              If I moved, I would surely miss salty liqurice and smoked, salted meat and fish. Most other things I guess I could make myself.. I would also miss Norwegian worklife rules, and 12 month payed maternity leave. I would miss Norwegian summers as well, my family and close friends.
              I've had two exchange students from Norway. Their families used to send me candy. The chocolate was wonderful. The salted licorice (and I love salt and licorice)....I could do without that one.
              sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

I would miss :
                - Chocolat, fries and beer
                - Health care
                - Worklife rules
                - Family and friends
                - Hearing people speaking Flemish

I wouldn't miss :
                - All the unfriendly people over here.
                - The weather.

Comment

I will miss:
                  Small town living.
                  Big Red (soda)
                  Cheap groceries.
                  Fall in Southern Indiana
                  The Container Store
                  Cheap manicures and hair cuts
                  Cheap gas.
                  (Apparently I'm still struggling with the price of things in Canada)

I won't miss:
                  The lack of diversity here
                  The obsession with Ameican Football
                  Being in medical debt

Comment

@ dizzyupthemeg, milk and chicken are also ridiculously expensive in Canada as they're on the quota system. Get ready for that one!

I've been living in Canada for school the last four years, so I'll actually be going home when I close the distance. I will miss poutine though
                    In all the world there is no heart for me like yours.
                    In all the world there is no love for you like mine.
                    -- Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by Ejoriah View Post
                      You are going to miss tangfastics so bad, seriously :P better stock up while you can!
                      definitely, my fiance loves them too, he tried some when he was here. lol I plan to bring some with me when I move there, also we will buy some whenever we come visit.

Comment

Originally posted by TooFarAway View Post
                        Free healthcare obviously, when I move from Canada to the U.S xD
                        I didn't realise til recently that Canada has free healthcare.

Comment

I'm in Argentina right now, just to clarify some statements below where I say "here" xD

Things I'll miss:

* Family and friends, obviously. And it's not like I'd be able to fly home on weekends or something either
                          * Good internet connection
                          * Vegetables!! Holy hell, no one eats vegetables here. At least not in my SO's town, because they're so expensive. I've been here 2 months and I'm already craving a salad so much I want to cry xD
                          * Winters with -20 degrees and 1,5 meters of snow.
                          * A snowy christmas
                          * Pick n' mix candy. Sour/acid candy!
                          * Going to the cinema or the bowling alley - neither exist here since it's a small mountain village.

Things I won't miss:

* The fact that everyone knows everyone in my town, and you can never keep anything private
                          * All the rules and regulations. I know they're there for a reason, but some of them are still ridiculous.
                          * Ridiculously high taxes. Again, I know it's there for a reason, but it always hurts a bit when I see how much of my pay goes to taxes
                          * All the pressure of looking good. You can't leave your house in dirty jeans or with greasy hair, or people will look at you as if you're insane. Here, it's soooo much more relaxed since it's an old hippie-town. I can walk around in sweatpants and my SO's t-shirt, and no one would give a damn!
                          * The uptight-ness. At home, people would rather stand on the bus than sit next to a stranger. Here, someone will start talking to you even if you're just in line to the empanada stand!

I think that's all for now, or at least all I can think of. There are pro's and con's of every country

Met online: February 2011
                          Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

The USA is huge, so even though it's not a different country, leaving one part of the country to another can make a difference. So, if I move to TX from NH, here is my list:

I will miss:
                            *Having the mountains 45 minutes away
                            *Having no sales or income tax
                            *Snow for Christmas
                            *Autumn here and all the beautiful colors
                            *Cheers, The 99 & Dragon Star (my 3 favorite restaurants)

I won't miss:
                            *Massachusetts and CT drivers
                            *Leaf peepers
                            *Ice storms
                            *NASCAR (NHMS is only a few miles from me and it's hell the week before through the day after a race)
                            To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by R&R View Post
                              The USA is huge, so even though it's not a different country, leaving one part of the country to another can make a difference. So, if I move to TX from NH, here is my list:

I will miss:
                              *Having the mountains 45 minutes away
                              *Having no sales or income tax
                              *Snow for Christmas
                              *Autumn here and all the beautiful colors
                              *Cheers, The 99 & Dragon Star (my 3 favorite restaurants)

I won't miss:
                              *Massachusetts and CT drivers
                              *Leaf peepers
                              *Ice storms
                              *NASCAR (NHMS is only a few miles from me and it's hell the week before through the day after a race)
                              To the bolded: Wait, you'd be moving to Texas from New Hampshire? Texas doesn't have state income tax. It has taxes on purchased goods, but no income tax - which is amazing.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                              Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                              Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X