Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Question - Moving Without a Uhaul or Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Question - Moving Without a Uhaul or Car?

I'm limiting myself to 3 boxes, 2 suitcases, and a backpack. My clothing and necessities will be going into my suitcases. My gaming consoles will be going into my backpack and onto the plane with me as my carry on luggage. I am packing a box for winter clothing (since it tends to get bulky quick), one for my computer, or I could stuff my winter clothing into my computer box to serve as the cushion for my computer, and one for other random possessions I will feel the need to bring.

But I'm not sure what is the best way to get them there. I looked online and I found a blog from a woman who moved to California via bringing all of her things to the airport and checking them in like luggage. I looked for my airlines and they stated nothing about boxes in their baggage policies. I'm considering USPS or UPS. These options could be beneificial as I could leave them at home and have my parents ship them out once we've settled into our new apartment (although the idea of living without my computer for 3 weeks pains me ).

Has anyone here moved like this before? Any recommendations?

Compare how much excess baggage is for your flight and how much it would cost to send the boxes via USPS/UPS/similar.

You could also ask on craigslist or facebook groups for your city (whichever is more popular where you are) if someone happens to be driving and could take your boxes.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

A box is just like another piece of luggage to airlines, I think - it is subject to dimension and weight limits/surcharges. I agree with Dziubka that you should compare prices between checking the luggage in and USPS.
      So, here you are
      too foreign for home
      too foreign for here.
      Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

You can take any kind of box onto the plane, but you might have to pay an oversize fee and depending on how many suitcases are free for you, additional fees for each box. Usually I had 1 free suitcase + carry on + personal item, but on my last trip, because I was on the fiancee visa, I was granted 2 suitcases + carry on + personal item (=laptop bag for me).
        I know that for the third suitcase they asked for 200€ and that was just too much! Definitely ask the airline you've booked with!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
        Married: 1/24/2015
        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

If you are loading boxes on to the airline for freight, make sure they are study ones and are well packaged - airport handlers are notorious for mistreating things - even more so than normal couriers.

Personally if it were me, I would take the separate courier option afterwards - it will probably be cheaper, and you'll get a chance to settle in and work out where to put things before you get them - you also don't have to worry about transporting them through the airport with you and getting them checked in.

I find the times I have to go without my laptop to be liberating - it is funny how at times we think we can't do without it, and then when enforced we find we survive quite well - like when I went from my place with my ex, to my folks for a few months while waiting for my new house paperwork to be sorted out - I went from 100MBit internet down to 1.5Mbit if I was lucky...... that was *tough* though lol.

Comment

I think you should ship them, to be honest. Or, at least ship the valuable items. The clothes I think would be fine to check in as luggage. p_b82 made a good point about how they treat luggage. You should probably call the airline too to find out what sort of fees they may charge you and what dimensions of boxes they'll take.

Comment

Honestly you can probably get a cheap suitcase for the clothes and make it a little easier on yourself. My ex took his pc on the flight back when we broke up and it got broken. I would fedex/ups it personally. Make sure you pack it really well and insure it.
              Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
              All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Is there a reason you don't want to go with a car or U-haul? The option of renting a car one-way and just driving it might be cheaper. Also, that way you don't have to worry about the excess baggage fees, things getting lost through the airlines and you will have a lot more room. It's only a days drive.
                To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Get those space saver bags. You can pack more into a smaller box!
                  sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Originally posted by R&R View Post
                    Is there a reason you don't want to go with a car or U-haul? The option of renting a car one-way and just driving it might be cheaper. Also, that way you don't have to worry about the excess baggage fees, things getting lost through the airlines and you will have a lot more room. It's only a days drive.
                    Agreed, it might actually be less than a day. I think maybe 8 - 10 hrs, factoring in traffic?

Comment

I don't drive due to an anxiety disorder. I don't trust my ability to drive on interstates with my anxiety.

I'm already checking 2 suitcases for clothing and necessities. And according to the airlines, a third bag would cost $150, and it just goes up drastically the more bags you add. I know that not all of my clothing and necessities will fit into two suitcases. So I thought I'd have my winter clothing sent over since it's the bulky clothing and not immediately needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kapwned View Post
                        I don't drive due to an anxiety disorder. I don't trust my ability to drive on interstates with my anxiety.

I'm already checking 2 suitcases for clothing and necessities. And according to the airlines, a third bag would cost $150, and it just goes up drastically the more bags you add. I know that not all of my clothing and necessities will fit into two suitcases. So I thought I'd have my winter clothing sent over since it's the bulky clothing and not immediately needed.
                        Damn, that's expensive. It's definitely MUCH cheaper to ship your extra items.

Comment

Yeah it's seems more expensive than most airlines. I just wish that USPS and UPS had a simple tool for giving an estimate on shipping costs but they want to know the dimensions of the box and the weight and I don't know what those will be until they're packed. Hopefully they're all less than $50. If they're less than $50 each I'm fine with it I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by whatruckus View Post
                            Agreed, it might actually be less than a day. I think maybe 8 - 10 hrs, factoring in traffic?
                            I just did a quick search through Google and it came up with about 14 hours. Of course, I don't have exact cities so it could be a little more or less. I drove 16 1/2 hours each way in February to go see SO.

I can understand your need to fly though. I hope you can find a cheaper way to get it all moved. That's a lot to spend on shipping.
                            To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Working...
                            X