Success stories.....not bragging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success stories.....not bragging

I've been reading through so many posts and reliving all the feels that so many people here are currently going through. I can remember what it was like when I first found this site, and how helpful it was knowing that I wasn't the only one who was experiencing these feelings of uncertainty that this would ever end in my favor. I felt I had found kindred spirits, and if they were able to close the distance then I would be able to as well. I loved that there were people of all ages, not just "old" people like me in this situation.

I thought I would start a thread of success stories to give others hope who are just starting out their LDR, or even maybe give some hope to those who have been walking this road for many years. This isn't to "brag" or make you feel bad. My goal is to give someone who may be feeling down the renewed hope that dreams can and DO come true.

My brief story: Met my husband on Facebook after we were both done with marriages that had just fallen apart. I had three children, one grown and two still in middle/high school at home. He was in NY, no kids, and I was in Ga. He swore he would never move here. I told him I would never move back to NY. For YEARS I thought this would go nowhere. We had more fights and I was ready to walk away more times than I care to remember. After 18 months of me traveling to NY to see him every month, he finally realized I was the best thing in his life (his words, not mine), and he rented out his house and moved all of his stuff to Ga. One problem though....his job was still in NY. So, while he was trying to get a transfer and applying to every position that would get him to Ga, he lived with me on weekends and stayed with his mom in NY Mon-Thurs. I STILL didn't think we would end up together forever. We got married two years ago and continued to do the part time distance, and even though we were together every Friday night through Monday (or sometimes Tuesday) morning, I STILL was frustrated and bitchy and took it out on him, because it wasn't good enough. How he put up with me is beyond my comprehension. Finally, this past November, he applied into a position with his company that allowed him to work from anywhere. After weeks of waiting and multiple interviews, we found out just before Christmas that he got the job and he started it in January. We've been living together full time for five wonderful months. He now works from home, and I was laid off in Jan, so we have been together nearly every day. Happily, I start a new job on Monday, and we will be living like a normal couple....forever.

So, it took five years from start to finish, and along the way I wasn't sure it would happen, but here we are. It's been a long and bumpy road. If anyone had told me how long it would have taken I probably wouldn't have committed, but looking back, it doesn't seem like it was that long. My advice: have a plan. You make one for your career.....isn't your life even more important?

Next success story......
    Last edited by TaraMarie; June 5, 2018, 10:57 AM.
    sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

This is a great idea.

We met 5 years ago on an online dating site. We were 2,500km apart. He said he'd come visit me but I didn't believe him seeing he lived so far away. He proved me wrong driving all the way to see me. We had a date or two then decided we wanted to try long distance. 6 months into things I had to move home (900km between us) as my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer. My SO flew up helped me pack up my apartment and workspace and drove 16hrs back with me. We continued only being 900kms apart until I decided to try relocate to him. I temporarily moved but quickly found I was misinformed about job opportunities there and my Dad's health was declining so I returned home. My SO came up to spend time with me and my dad. He even asked my dads permission to marry me which I thought was sweet. The day my dad died I rang my SO and he drove 9 hours straight to get to me which is something I'll never forget. Since then we were still long distance and I thought we'd go nowhere. Last year, on my dad's birthday my SO proposed and he told me that he was going to move here. Moving here was the better choice financially and we are now living together in our place after 4.5 years of distance. We have been together 5 years now and will be tying the knot in 1 month, with a wedding speech written by my dad to be read thanks to my SO giving him the heads up. There is hope, even through all the heartache.

Comment

Being a guy on a female dominated site I might have a different idea of success. See sometimes just meeting and dating a girl for awhile, then finding out you're not compatible
      and breaking up to me is a success. See it's not always about making it, it's the journey about finding the right one

Anyway, I dated a few girls after my marriage ended, nothing long distance though. Well I reached out to this chick I though was cute, had a lot in common, and seemed low maintenance.

...well I didn't get her location right, I thought she was in San Jose not Washington State! Haha, well we hit it off from the first couple messages. Our conversation has never been a struggle. We had a few weeks where we weren't too sure what the next step was then she basically messaged me and without a doubt let me know that she was planning on buying a plane ticket and we were going to both get lucky!! That started a sexting spree that is still memorial today! Anyway we just flat were so attracted to each other from the first meeting. I still can't keep my hands off her! I messaged her for the first time 7-12-17, we moved in together two days ago. Success? maybe time will tell, but if it ends today, I'm glad that I met her and have her in my life. So in that way I guess it is a success.

Comment

I met my partner on a language exchange site in 2015. It was a friendship that turned into much more . We met in person in early 2016. As soon as we met, it was perfect and we have now closed the distance (literally closed it only this week ). It can work, for sure, but of course it is hard. 16,000kms between us, two different hemispheres, two different cultures, two different languages, but here we are. Lots of visits, horrible long-haul flights, missing each other terribly, visa applications, immigration paperwork, questions....questions...more waiting, one of us having to leave our country (in this case it was me), but now it is all over. Was it worth it? Yes, absolutely and I wouldn't change a thing. I also was able to bring my precious little kitty cat with me, because I couldn't stand to leave him behind. It is wonderful to have closed the distance. So yes, definitely a success story

Comment

Working...
        X