Living in Argentina for an extra couple months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living in Argentina for an extra couple months

So I'm 22 years old from Australia and about a year and half ago I did an exchange in the US and fell in love with this girl who was doing exchange too but from Argentina. We dated for a while but then had to go our seperate ways. Finally we had to accept the inconvenient truth that we would have to return to our home countries and seperate. We tried long distance, I decided to end it, then about 5 months later she came to Australia and I decided to see her. We had a great time and I realised how perfect we were for each other. We decided to do long distance and it lasted for 5 months as I bought a plane ticket to her city Buenos Aires. I am now one day into being in Buenos Aires and I'm so fucking happy to see her. The thing is however, that this trip is for 5 and half weeks and then after that we will be separated again for another 6 months as she will be doing her masters degree in Australia. This is, if she gets into the scholarship program, which I think is likely but we wont know until November and it starts in Feb. The main issue is that after being here and everything I went through in this long distance thing, I've realised I really don't want to do that again!

What I'm wondering is if there is any chance I can extend my trip and extra couple months maybe even before she leaves to go to Australia for her masters? Now, I realise that changing my flights is an option and I'd be happy to do that but how I am I going to survive? I don't speak any Spanish and so getting a job may be hard. I have a double major degree in Communications & Media and English/Cultural Studies and am currently studying Digital Design at a University in Perth. Just finished my first sem got about two years to go, but I think I can do it online. I've mainly worked clothing retail through university.

Lastly, I wanna know what you guys think about whether this is all worth it? Along with how I'd go about getting a job and what not.

I know it sucks to think about, but I really think you should go back home and spend the 6 months apart. It's not all that much time in the long-run and simplifies things for you immensely. Maybe you can extend your trip for a few weeks (if you have the time), but beyond that, you need to be realistic. You would need to get a work permit to work in Argentina, and you've already stated that you don't speak Spanish, don't have the savings to support yourself, and don't have much work experience, so the chances of you finding a (legal) job and being able to stay are small. From my perspective, it would be financially, educationally, and personally responsible for you to go back to Australia as was planned. It's hard, and we all have to say goodbye to our SOs at the end of every visit, but we're also strong enough to recognize when we need to make decisions that might feel bad in the short-term but benefit us in the long-term.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Working...
    X