No announcement yet.

Family's reaction when hearing you'd be moving away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine's only a hypothetical but oh well *sigh* well even though I'm 45, if I were the one moving, my 70 year old mother will probably tell me she was going to kill herself because I had broken her heart anyway by moving to another country taking her grandsons with me. She is still dramatic that way. Sometimes even parents refuse to grow up.

Comment

Talked with my mom yesterday morning.... she really doesn't want me to move...
      Join the Photography Group Today!

Comment

My mom took it pretty good, because right after we first talked about it she started joking "Oh, you can't move away, how will I be able to see my grandchildren grow up?" and then my dad proceeded to say "we could move into your basement" I am sure that my parents are sad about me wanting to move to a different continent someday, but they know me well enough to let me go, because they know I will always come back and I will always keep in touch. My parents and I are very close and connencted wiht our hearts, and even if there is a distance ebtween us, we will still feel as close as we do now, that we live in one house (I hope this sentence made sense)....All the other people from my family don't take it very serious, they always joke about it, but I honestly think they don't believe I will really move away some day. Oh they will see

Comment

mmm this is what makes it difficult for me to decide when exactly to close the distance...i'm REALLY close with my family, especially my parents and my brother. The four of us have always been close, but especially since we all moved to Australia over 3 years ago and started our 'new life' if you like. We moved back to the UK almost 2 years ago because of other family members getting upset about us being away, making my parents feel guilty etc etc. So i know my parents would never do that to me because they know whats its like.
          But at the same time, i know for sure my dad HATES the idea of me moving away! I've always been his 'little girl' and at first he was fine about me&my boyfriend, but since he realized its serious, he's been making little rude jokes about my SO and even asking if i've broken up with him yet. I spoke to my mum about it and she said hes just being silly and hes just scared of losing me, which i understand, so i'm trying to make it easier by breaking them in gently to the idea...telling them what i want out of life, making sure they know how much i love them and appreciate everything theyve done for me, and telling them how much i miss them when i am away from them (this is true though, i love them so much and i do miss them heaps...even when im only away from them for a couple of weeks).
          My mum has really been making an effort though, the other week we were all sitting down for dinner and she said, 'wherever any of us are in the world, we should always make sure we meet up somewhere in the world and have a big family holiday every year'...so i was like 'that sounds good...just the four of us?' and she was like 'no, with you're own partners and families in the future as well' and that made me so happy that she said that, because she knows how much Chris means to me and how much I want to move back to Australia eventually. I know she'll be upset when i eventually move though, the other day she admitted she feels like shes losing me a bit, so we're planning to make the most of the time we have left with me living here, so we're going to have a 'mother daughter day' every other week and make the most of having family holidays just the 4 of us. The good thing is she understands i need to have my own life and my own family...i'm just hoping my dad will come round to the idea because i know he'll find it more difficult to accept.

My brother hasnt really said much about it, but i know he hates it when im away and not with them...this year the 3 of them went away without me because i was with my SO, and my brother turned around and said 'it was rubbish without you...it was boring and wasnt fun at all.' and hes told my parents he isnt going on holiday with them again unless i go too :/ lol...it made me feel loved though
          Also last year i missed his birthday because i was at uni and had lectures...and this year when he heard i was going to be at Uni again for his birthday he got really upset and asked my mum if she could ask me to miss my lecture that day to go home for his birthday...i thought it was really sweet that he admitted he missed me and wanted me there...especially for a 15 year old boy!
          I think we're so close because its just the two of us, and so without me there he feels a bit like an only child?! Also when we moved to australia we became really close...to the point where we used to argue constantly, but since we moved there he would come and randomly give me a hug, or ask to go out and do things with me. i love that we're so close, and it will be really difficult leaving them...but like my mum said, we need to live our own lives and be happy with our own families. Obviously i would visit my family back in england at least once a year, if not twice, and im pretty sure they would visit me a couple of times a year if not more
          Anyway, i guess it will all work out in the end!
          And sorry for such a long post!
          I'm living off £10 a week for 9 months to raise money for 4 charities (Tommy's, Home-Start, Lupus UK and Hughes Syndrome Foundation)
          please visit my blog and sponsor me! https://10poundpom.blogspot.com/
          It's really easy to donate, you just go to the blog link, click on the Just Giving links at the top right hand side, and then click donate! It literally takes 30 seconds to fill in the details in order to donate and it will make such a difference to these amazing charities! Every donation is greatly appreciated, no matter how small!

'The reason it hurts so much to separate....is because our souls are connected'

Comment

Even though we're nowhere near ready to move, we know that when the time comes, I'll be the one moving. The few members of my family I've casually mentioned it to have not accepted it too well. My mom feels like he should move here and in her words, "if he really loved me, then he would move." I live in South Ga and he lives in Utah, so my family wasn't thrilled about the possibility of me moving that far away just for one person. However, what they don't understand is I'm not moving there just for one person. Of course the main reason I'd move there is because of Issac but I also adore his family and I've got alot of friends there. I've lived here my whole life and this town just isn't for me. I've always wanted to move somewhere different. Even though I'm almost 21, I'm looked at as 'the baby' of the family, so therefore they don't think I've got it in me to move somewhere totally new and make it on my own, but one day they will see

Comment

my dad said that too, he was like, 'he should just move here'...and i was like..'no'. lol, I can't stand living in England after experiencing life in Perth, it's too claustrophobic here, and i've always wanted to move back to Australia eventually anyway. After all it's my second home, i went to school there, had a job there, i have the best friends ever over there, my aunty&uncle live there, and of course my boyfriend and his family...so i think my parents are a lot better with it because of that...if I didn't have that connection with Perth they would never ever let me move across the other side of the world just for 1 guy! So i'm really grateful we used to live there and they know what it's like and how easy it is to keep in contact with family in the UK and visit etc.
              We've always known from the beginning that i would be the one to move back eventually...after all, it was I who left just to come to Uni in England...so i always knew i would move back some point after I finished uni.
              I'm living off £10 a week for 9 months to raise money for 4 charities (Tommy's, Home-Start, Lupus UK and Hughes Syndrome Foundation)
              It's really easy to donate, you just go to the blog link, click on the Just Giving links at the top right hand side, and then click donate! It literally takes 30 seconds to fill in the details in order to donate and it will make such a difference to these amazing charities! Every donation is greatly appreciated, no matter how small!

Comment

Originally posted by 8983MilesofLove View Post
                my dad said that too, he was like, 'he should just move here'...and i was like..'no'. lol, I can't stand living in England after experiencing life in Perth, it's too claustrophobic here, and i've always wanted to move back to Australia eventually anyway. After all it's my second home, i went to school there, had a job there, i have the best friends ever over there, my aunty&uncle live there, and of course my boyfriend and his family...so i think my parents are a lot better with it because of that...if I didn't have that connection with Perth they would never ever let me move across the other side of the world just for 1 guy! So i'm really grateful we used to live there and they know what it's like and how easy it is to keep in contact with family in the UK and visit etc.
                We've always known from the beginning that i would be the one to move back eventually...after all, it was I who left just to come to Uni in England...so i always knew i would move back some point after I finished uni.
                LOL well even though I don't like where I live, I wouldn't mind it so much if Issac moved here. He does have family here so there's a possibility he'll end up moving, but he's also got his own business and I wouldn't want him to leave that after he's worked so hard all these years at making it successful. However my family never sees my point of view. They think that just because I found my bf online, that somehow makes me immature or something, so therefore they never take me seriously. Me and Issac have talked about the moving situation numerous times and we both find great reasons why the other should move, so at this point it looks like we'll be ld for a good while longer lol

Comment

Yeah, I've still got a year and a half before I finish Uni, so we have until then to decide for sure
                  I've got the moving bug now though, I don't really want to stay in one place my whole life. I'd quite like to move around (a few years in Aus, a couple of years in UK, a year or so in the US maybe etc)...he's said he quite likes the idea of that as well, so we'll see...we're only young so hopefully we will have the chance to make the right choice for us
                  I know I defs want to get married in Australia...but I want my first child in the UK so I can be near my Mum...and I want my kids to grow up in Australia. Ughh its all so confusing haha!
                  My dad didn't take it too well when i hinted i wanted to get married in Aus :/ if we do we'll probably have a blessing in England for family members who can't fly. Hopefully that will sway him :P

Comment

Originally posted by 8983MilesofLove View Post
                    I've got the moving bug now though, I don't really want to stay in one place my whole life. I'd quite like to move around
                    That's exactly how I am too! I want to move out so bad I can't stand it! Once I find a job and save up enough, I hope to be out of here!

Comment

My SO lives in Baltimore, Maryland (where I've lived my whole life) and I just moved with my parents to Chicago, IL. The plan is for us to move in together in the next year to West Virginia and my parents are pretty supportive. They want me to move on with my life and they LOVE Scott. I'm lucky, but I'm also 22 and it's about time I start getting my shit together.
                      [CENTER]"True love doesn't mean being inseparable; it means being separated and nothing changes."

Comment

Well my parents have accepted the fact that I probably won't be around for the next couple years. I've got the travel bug pretty hard and had plans on living abroad even before I met my SO. When I told my family/friends that I'd be moving away they all said "yeah, well we figured we'd never see you again" haha

As far as my SO is concerned, he hasn't done much traveling so his family/friends are pretty shocked he's planning on temporarily moving to my country. But they're just happy that he's happy.

Comment

My parents absolutely love my Sweetheart, but my father said to me, "Why would you want to leave America and live in a place where they are decades behind us?" "They" is England.... he just doesn't have a clue, or he watches too much History channel.
                          Kimberly J
                          https://kimberlyandvernon.blogspot.com/

Comment

LOL thats funny! :P we're not decades behind...Australia on the other hand...now they are decades behind haha! Maybe you should suggest a family holiday to England so he can see what it's really like? hehe

Comment

Working...
                            X