Living in the US or the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living in the US or the UK

I am facing this dilemma whether to move to the UK or stay in the US when my SO and I get married.
    In the UK he already has a fairly good paying job, adorable family, and better schooling.
    However I know no one except for him and his family over there, it is expensive to live there.

In the US I am going to school, I know tons of people, my family is all here, and we can inherit the house I grew up in.
    However he will not have a job, he may have to go back to school, schooling is not that great :/

My parents would hate it if I moved to the UK, but it seems like a smarter idea. My SO wants to move to the US, but it is so hard to find a job right now in my town.

What is your opinion? Should I move to the UK for a better future for my children or stay in the US to please my family?
    "Forever and Always"
    sigpic

There are just so many little things when picking countries... I'd say make a list of the things that are important to both of you, and then do a massive amount of research.
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I agree with Zephii, you should definitely make a list! Make a pro and con list for living in the US and then make another one for living in the UK. Hopefully this will help! But it's good that he wants to move to the US

Comment

it might be a good idea to try to spend time in each others countries as well before you decide. if you get a visa it only lasts a year or two, so you get to experience the country to decide if you like it. if youve never even been to a country its hard to tell if youd like it or not.

Comment

I agree with the advice that's already been given. Make pro/con lists, visit each others countries. But also consider immigration laws. Moving to another country just ain't what it used to be

Comment

go where your heart is leading you to, and you cant stay in a place just because your family wants you to thats not fair to you, you have to do what YOU want to do not what they want. For me i have to move to the UK to be with Denise because thats where i feel my home is right now, anywhere she is thats my home and its the only option at this moment

Comment

Originally posted by kasia516 View Post
              it might be a good idea to try to spend time in each others countries as well before you decide. if you get a visa it only lasts a year or two, so you get to experience the country to decide if you like it. if youve never even been to a country its hard to tell if youd like it or not.
              This.

Penn and I talked about living in Spain for a while...and then he did it for a year. Turns out Spain, for all its charms, is a bureaucratic nightmare--his temporary visa expired before they got around to delivering his student visa to him, and he had to get an emergency extension. And this isn't because he wasn't on the ball--he went and applied for his student visa the second day he was in the country (September 22), so he'd have it before the temporary visa expired (December 20). He never got his student ID card, after having been there a year. He also hated how everything shut down during siesta, and that if there was a state or church holiday, forget trying to do anything--school was closed, and so was everything else.

You definitely need to try living somewhere before you make the decision to move permanently. (Of course, after all that, Penn still occasionally wishes we lived in Spain.)

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

When will you graduate from university?! What kind of degree will you get? These are the questions you need to consider before moving to the UK because it's not like other countries where you can teach english without a degree and also you don't want a min. wage job. ( There are some English jobs that exist without having a college degree) Also what part of the UK does he live in?! Also maybe your boyfriend can help connect you with a job too!

Comment

Working...
                X