Sticky Situation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky Situation...

Last night, me and my SO we're looking at visas for him to move here. But we came across a slight problem... Well major :L
    He can come here on the tier 5 visa next year as planned. We then planned to get married in that two years and go back to Canada for a coupe of months to get the new visa (married couples) But you need to be 21 for that... i'd be 18.
    The only other option is for me to move to Canada until im 21 and get a permanent residence and work there for a few years (i'd have done college by then) and then either stay there or come back to the UK and get the visa then.
    My SO checked it all out and he said it would work. But its quite a big move and that would mean id leave my entire family in England (Only my SO's parents live in Canada) and my college, job opurtunities. The one thing i want is to be where he is, and id do anything to do that. I guess im just slight worried about the future.
    Anyone have any advice on visas? and advice at all?
    Thanks in advance

I say continue remaining in a LDR for a few more years. Don't put off your college and don't throw the life you have away. Moving to a new country is hard by yourself when you are as young as you are. Your family won't be right there to help you. Maybe wait 1 more year and then have him come over on the visa and when its up you will be 21.

Comment

Im trying to work out the visa thing too lol my SO is in Canada and me U.K and it's a pain in the butt.
      Have you considered marrying in canada then coming back?
      As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Originally posted by BabyKirsty View Post
        I say continue remaining in a LDR for a few more years. Don't put off your college and don't throw the life you have away. Moving to a new country is hard by yourself when you are as young as you are. Your family won't be right there to help you. Maybe wait 1 more year and then have him come over on the visa and when its up you will be 21.
        I would have finished college then and be ready to work with the qualifications. I could go there and work once i have the visa in place.

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 AM ----------

Originally posted by leonsfangirl View Post
        Im trying to work out the visa thing too lol my SO is in Canada and me U.K and it's a pain in the butt.
        Have you considered marrying in canada then coming back? he can then come on the marriage visa.
        Yeaah it really is a pain in the butt! lol Dont you still need to be 21 to get the visa? That would be our only problem because id be 18 at the time. We'd have to get married as sooon as i was 18 for any sorta life together anytime soon. the whole visa thing is so awful :L

Comment

I was told at the Citizens advice bureau that a few months back that the Visa age restrictions only apply to the person applying..... but I'd check the U.K border agency website just in case as it can change all the time.
          Are any of his grandparents from the U.K? he could try the ancestry visa then and it can give him upto 5 years here.

Comment

It used to be 18 because we checked a while back, but i checked the other day out of interest and it had changed again to 21 for both partners, which really pissed me off XD Im hoping it will change or something. As much as id love to go to Canada, its more the fact im worried i may like it there too much and stay. I know my family wouldnt be too keen on that idea. Plus its a big change really as i have never left the country before apart from going to france and belgium. And id have no family about either, only his parents and siblings. Not great but only choice we have.
            No unfortunately, mostly india or portugal. But he does have some english in him a long waaay back, but he has no idea how or how long ago. Tier 2 seems way to hard to get too, coz that would have been more flexible but aparently its really hard to get.
            He'd get a job a lot easier there because the Chef college he has gone to is well known and his dad worked in the hotel industry too as manager so he knows people and it would be very easy for him to get work.
            I just hate visas! lol

Comment

It's not easy getting into the U.K, but as your only young it seems even harder. I'm doing TONS of research on visa's and such and if anything that i found out that i think could help you I'll let you know.
              Good Luck!!

Comment

Yeah it is so hard. Its looking more likely that i'll spend a few years there until we can get into the UK.
                Thanks, any help would be really good!
                You too, Good luck

Comment

Have you thought about closing the distance where you both move? My SO is from Ireland, and there's no way for me to get a visa there unless we get married (and there's no way I'm doing that soon!) so we're both moving to the UK for two years (with me on the tier 5 yms visa). I've known a few other LD UK-Canada couples who closed the distance by moving somewhere that they could both easily move. And if you can figure out a way to move somewhere and live together for 2 years (maybe a year one place, and a year in the UK?), he'd qualify for a nonmarried partner visa. As far as I can see, there's no age limit on that.

I mean other than that, you could just continue LD for a little while longer until you could be old enough for the fiance visa.

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                  Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

I'd have him come to you on the teri 5 as planned, stay as long as that lasts and get married, then just go back to Canada til you're 21. What's a few years? Besides, if he's going to live in your country it's only fair that you live for a while in his too. It will bring a much better understanding to both of you, and Canada isn't really that bad. Once you're 21 you can go back to the UK - really, it's the same plan, just with a longer stop in Canada than you originally intended. Think of it like an adventure
                    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Working...
                    X