Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will you have a joing account with your SO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I end up getting married, I like the idea of 3 accounts. Living together now, I pay the bills, and we split most other stuff. It's worked out well, though sometimes I feel like I'm paying too much. (ie: When we eat out, he never covers dinner. Either I pay the whole thing, or we split it)

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
      It's worked out well, though sometimes I feel like I'm paying too much. (ie: When we eat out, he never covers dinner. Either I pay the whole thing, or we split it)
      This is why I'm pro one joint account for spending - because there isn't any of that keeping score. You both paid for that dinner, movie, new TV or whatever.

*nods to self* Yeah, I'm over the keeping score. I mean, I pay for everything too, and it does give me the shits when his friends/family make comments about him supporting me because that's far from the case BUT I hate it when he's like "you pay for <item> I'll pay for <whatever> then we're equal." Because in my mind our pool of resources is whatever we have. Doesn't matter where the money in that pool came from - it's there, it's all we have, and when one of us hands it over to a third party for petrol we have the same amount less in the pool as we would if the other had spent that money So, we're already equal, even though right now it's all my money in the spending pool.

I'm a freak. Anyway, that wasn't directed at you Lucybelle... you just inspired my ramble is all.
      I should drink some coffee, fix my brain right up!
      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

We'll be getting one for visa reasons But I like the idea of having separate accounts into which our individual pay checks are put into, then a joint one for bills etc. I dunno if it will work though. My SO is very keen on just having several joint accounts, so we'll just have to see what happens.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
        <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
        The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
        <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
        <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
        Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
        Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

I would like that. I think my SO does as well. It's just much easier. I don't like the idea of saying "let's pay half/half" or having to overthink that only one of us spends lots of money on things. If we buy stuff, we'd be paying for it together. From our account.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle View Post
            Yes, Frank and I have decided to have a joint checking account but still have our own accounts to pay for our own personal stuff.
            This is what my SO and I have agreed on. The joint pays for the bills that we share together and purchases we choose to make together (like a TV). The personal stuff is for things like when I go get my pedicures each month and he purchases parts to modify his car.

I have a friend who ONLY has a joint bank account with her SO and just the thought of it concerns me. I feel that you need to have some money that you can actually call your own and that no one else can get their hands on. I hope that they finally marry and stay together because my concern is if, GOD FORBID, they broke up, then money is involved. Who gets what?

I have my own supply that in case anything were to happen, I know that I would be alright. Same for my SO.

*~*~*Forever & Always*~*~*

Comment

I'd like to have a joint account, but also have our own seperate accounts too. I.e. for gifts or presents or buying things that relate to just me and not my SO.

Comment

I like the idea of having a joint account with my SO, but I will still have my own bank account. I feel we should each have our own bank accounts and one joint account to save money and pay bills with. My parents do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                X