One Year Anniversary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Year Anniversary?

He'll be visiting from 17 March to 1 April. Our anniversary falls on the 8th, which we could have booked for, but given his brother, a 14-day stay was the maximum we could plan for and neither of us were willing to sacrifice any part of my spring break and I was not about to book his return flight during the school week - would have been miserable not being able to see him off at the airport - SO we have decided to celebrate our one year anniversary a little bit earlier.

I have literally been churning ideas over and over in my head. The one I keep coming back to is, unfortunately, a rendition of what I did for my ex. :/ I'm not sure I have issues with that or not. My ex came out for Valentine's Day and I more or less had my mother and sister help me convert my room into a "hotel room," since I could not afford a room at a hotel or a B&B. It ended up being even better than I imagined it. I did tell my partner of this ages ago, when my ex and I were still together, to which he responded by guffawing and claiming the idea a bit too "sappy" for his taste. Turns out a lot changes when your best friend becomes your girlfriend; all of a sudden those little sappy things become fun for you too. I booked us a night at a hotel when I visited him this past summer and sent him out of the room for 20 minutes while I drew a bath and added bubbles and set the room alight with candles, and wrote him a love letter. He loved it. I'm considering repeating the "hotel room" idea when he comes out in March.

I have a scarlet red sheet set along with a comforter and matching pillow cases. I'm wanting to book my partner and I a couple's massage at a local spa, which would then be followed by an hour in a private hot tub for the both of us - water and tea included; considering having dinner beforehand (debating on whether to go nice/dressy or local/funky). Going back to the bedset I mentioned, while my partner and I were out, I would send in the troops, aka. my mother and sister, to set up the bedroom for us: make up the bed, rose petal turndown, some light fruit and chocolate and maybe something to drink, some candles and the fireplace that they would light closer to when we got home, etc. I'm loving the idea. The couple's massage + hot tub is only $180 for the both of us - an hour massage each and an hour in the hot tub which, as I mentioned, is private and outdoors if the weather is nice enough - so it's affordable, and it would be wonderful to come back to our own little "hotel." I'm simply wondering if this is a bad idea given the fact it's been done for my ex and he's aware of it? I mean he didn't mind my lighting candles at our hotel and I do remember asking him if he liked/enjoyed it, and was honest about how I was worried he wouldn't given what he said about my ex, but that was only candles and not the whole shebang. I'm currently trying to decide if the fact it was done for my ex would outweigh the surprise, or if he would love it too much to care. :/ It's not that I'm having issues coming up with ideas for our aniversary; it's that I absolutely loved what my mother and sister did - they literally went above and beyond what they had to - and it was absolutely incredible and I would love to share it with my current partner as well. I do think he would love it. I simply don't want the fact my ex had a similar surprise to detract from it, or seem like it's something that I "do" as opposed to something that's coming from me and my more creative side (as I choose all the decorations and the design of it).

Opinions?
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

I want to make a box! I'm going to find a wooden box and I'm going to find some awesome wrapping paper, wrap the box, and glaze it (so it sticks), put a picture of us on it and then put little mementos of our relationship in it. Super corny right?

I'm going to get him a gift too, something material that I know he'll like, I just don't know what yet.

Oh I didn't even answer your question. lol, do whatever feels comfortable and right to you. If you're uncomfortable with an idea, you can find another one without a problem. I like your idea a lot though.

Comment

Pfft, you're a friend. You get biased rights to sharing what you're going to be doing. That sounds like a great idea though! I'm thinking of doing slightly similar for Valentine's Day, depending on if I can get everything ready in time...

And I'm not personally uncomfortable with the idea, but I worry about it tainting the experience for him even if I'm not too sure he'd even care. :/ Another thing I considered is saying I don't have the money for the couple's massage and splurging only on dinner and a private hot tub for an hour, still having my mother/sister set up the room, and then I'll be the one to give him a massage by candlelight/the light of the fireplace with some nice massage oils; I have been considering dressing in some sexy lingerie while giving it as well, which wouldn't be something I could do while hot tubbing or at dinner, obviously. :P
      Last edited by Haley53; January 12, 2012, 09:53 PM.
      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
      to be continued...

Comment

I think you have great ideas! (for some reason I thought you were asking for ideas, which is why I shared, I'm really out of it tonight, just exhausted)
        I don't think the idea will be tainted, it's a great way to show him how much you care and spend time together. I know to some couples presents and what not are important, they aren't to me and my boyfriend, we'd rather spend the time together, sometimes tells me your SO will just love anything special you do for both of you.

omg I almost just gave you another idea, I need to stop posting tonight, I can't even think straight.

Comment

Haha, that's a good point and I'll definitely think about it.

On a slightly unrelated note, ended up finding this on the VS website:

https://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/S...ame=vsdWrapper

I must have eet. D: But it comes to like $60 with shipping. I hate splurging on lingerie because it's usually something I'll only wear once, but this is our one year. >_>
          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After