2 Year Anniversary Gift...But I Know What I Want

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Year Anniversary Gift...But I Know What I Want

I hope I don't come across as selfish and materialistic. My SO and me are together for 2 years in August and for the past year now, I have been dying for a promise ring. Nothing too expensive, but for me it's the meaning behind it. He generally struggles with deciding what to get me, but ends up doing a good job. He and I have been through A LOT this year, so I think it's rather appropriate of a gift. He and I do talk of the future and marriage in a few years, so we definitely are in this for the long haul. I just don't know how to get the gift I truly want. I think it feels weird asking directly for that. Any ideas?

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

You could bring it up randomly? That might be a way? Or if you ask him if he has anything that he wants in specific for your anniversary? Then he should ask what you want? Me and Thomas wear eternity rings, which from what I gather, are basically the same as promise rings. He got me one, and I got him one. Thomas wears his around a chain because I got the wrong size though He actually asked me, so he brought it up in a conversation. Why not try just suggesting it to him and see what he thinks? It could make a good anniversary present, getting one for each other, and then having a nice meal, take a day trip somewhere, etc?

Comment

Well let me just tell you my story- I wanted jewelry sooooo badly for my last birthday. I hinted and hinted and hinted. I basically drooled over earrings and bracelets. I mentioned at least twice a day how I needed new earrings and how pretty sparkly things are. I did this for probably 2 months. And for my birthday I got... A BOOK! I had mentioned once how I wanted this book, and I guess that was a bigger hint than 2 months of jewelry talking

So if you don't want to be disappointed, just ask for the ring

Comment

Haha! Lucybelle, I love that story. It's totally happened to me too. (Hinted at jewelry for Christmas, I got a book & chocolat instead!)

If you want to be "sneaky" about it, try leaving your computer browser open to the ring you like. If you don't feel the need to be sneaky (as some guys don't ever pick up the small hints...) just tell him your ring size & point out the ring you like. Or suggest you buy them together. (It doesn't have to be his idea, after all.) I bought my SO & I promise rings. I actually didn't even buy them together, so they don't match.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I flat out asked for one It was Valentine's last year and he started complaining he didn't know what to get me... so I sent him a link to a silver Claddagh ring I'd had my eye on lol It was a cheap $15 ring, but I was so proud of it, and my SO just looked relieved he could stop searching for something haha!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
          <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
          The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
          <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
          <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
          Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
          Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

To me, I would want it coming from my SO directly. I wouldn't want to ask for him to make a promise to me. I would want it to be something he felt compelled to do. I actually turned down a promise ring to put the money towards celebrating my birthday with something fun for the both of us when I arrive in the summer, simply because we know our commitment and that's enough for me. If anything, I would say ask him directly, but if you're asking for my opinions, it would be to let him get you what he feels is right for you and stop worrying so much about what a ring would only make apparent to everyone else. You're in love, you plan on getting engaged, that should be enough, if you don't want to be the one to prompt him to buy you a ring. If you have no issue with that, however, then my opinion is ask. I don't agree with hints and a lot of the time, people end up disappointed by them.
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
            Met online: February 2009
            Feelings confessed: December 2010
            Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
            Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
            First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
            Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
            Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
            Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
            to be continued...

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
              Well let me just tell you my story- I wanted jewelry sooooo badly for my last birthday. I hinted and hinted and hinted. I basically drooled over earrings and bracelets. I mentioned at least twice a day how I needed new earrings and how pretty sparkly things are. I did this for probably 2 months. And for my birthday I got... A BOOK! I had mentioned once how I wanted this book, and I guess that was a bigger hint than 2 months of jewelry talking

So if you don't want to be disappointed, just ask for the ring
              LOL!!! I must say, your stories tend to make me laugh xD! That's pretty awesome LMAO!

My SO and I got each other promise rings for our 2 year anniversary as well. It actually turned out to be his idea. He kinda just flat out asked me what I'd think about getting each other promise rings for our anniversary, and I absolutely loved the idea. If you're afraid dropping hints won't work, you can always ask him what he thinks of the idea. xD From what I've noticed, guys tend to be a little dense sometimes when it comes to dropping hints. They don't always notice. xD jeje

Comment

Working...
              X