Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from the Netherlands!

Hi everyone,

I just registered to the forums and figured it would probably be a good idea to start with an introduction. So here goes;

My boyfriend and I have been together for nearly 6 months now, we met online but we're both Dutch and don't live too far apart. A few months ago he was offered a fantastic job "promotion", only it means that he needs to relocate to New York City for at least a year (and a maximum of 2 years). The offer was almost too good to be true though, and he has already travelled to NY for work in the past, only for shorter periods so he pretty much knows what he's getting into. The offer was particularly hard to resist because the job he has here will cease to exist. So after we talked about it (and I had given my support) he accepted.

Even though we had only been together for a relatively short time we agreed immediately that we were going to make this work. At first I tried to find a way to go with him, but it turns out my moving to the U.S. is simply not a realistic option... That means we're going to have to maintain a long distance relationship for the time being. I know I can wait for him and I know I can trust him to do the same. I'm also happy for him because of the opportunity he's been given, but at the same time I'm absolutely terrified. He is truly the best thing that ever happened to me. I've been in a bunch of crappy relationships in the past, but being with him all of that seems to disappear, like it's of no relevance anymore. With him, it feels like I finally get the chance to be the best I can possibly be. There's no way I'm not going to do everything in my power to make this relationship work, he feels the same way.

He's leaving in less than 2 weeks so I decided I need to find a way to cope with the situation before my fears and insecurities get the better of me and I panic and ruin something that has every chance of being great and more. So I turn here for support.

Thanks for reading!

Welcome to LFAD!

Comment

Haha I just saw your name somewhere and wrote on your profile, and now I see your thread! Welcome to LFAD

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Welcome Dutchie You've certainly come to the right place for support.....

Started Writing - February 2010
          First Visit - September 2010
          Second Visit - June 2011
          Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
          Our Wedding Day - April 2012
          Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
          NOA1 - July 2012
          NOA2 - December 2012
          Fourth Visit - December 2012
          Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

Welcome! This will be the perfect place for the support you'll need.

Comment

welcome to LFAD

Comment

Hello! Welcome to LFAD!

Comment

welcome! cool another dutch
                  before he goes ask him to wear a shirt and dont was it so you have his something with his sent!! that help alot when you feel alone

Comment

Thanks everyone!

That's actually a good idea Dragonlady, but I think I'd feel a bit creepy asking him that, haha!

Comment

Hi there Dutchie! I'm new here too! I thought I'd stop by your page because my ex boyfriend was from the Netherlands! We had an internationally long distant relationship! But we only were together almost (two weeks off) six months! But I wish you both the very best! Oohh, and I still remember a little Dutch (just I love you) ^_^.

Comment

Hi Somebodysangel, that's so cool that you know a bit of Dutch, although I'll assume you don't need to anymore

I wish you the best too, but I'm sure things will turn out WAY better for you than they did with the Dutch guy
                        Thanks for stopping by

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchie View Post
                          Hi Somebodysangel, that's so cool that you know a bit of Dutch, although I'll assume you don't need to anymore

I wish you the best too, but I'm sure things will turn out WAY better for you than they did with the Dutch guy
                          Thanks for stopping by
                          Haha, I still use the Dutch for "I LOVE YOU" with my mom when I want to suck up to her! Hehe... I plan on making things work with this one, after all we've been together almost four years and been LDR for only eight months (today in fact!) but we'll get through it!

Comment

no worries! it felt wierd the first time too, just talk to him about he probably want something like that too to take with him!!

Comment

Somebodysangel, that still works with my parents too, I always assumed it was my innocent look and natural charm but I see it must be the language after all..

Dragonlady, I'll see if there's going to be a good moment to bring it up next weekend (I suppose I should be specific, otherwise I might just recieve a fart in a jar )

Comment

Working...
                              X