Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the website, and this situation

Hi,

So short rundown, if ya'll have questions feel free to ask. I met this woman in our little town, was honestly more amazed we had never run into each other before considering we were living about 3 miles apart, had jeeps (if you own one you understand) and went to the same gym. Long story short we made the connection and spent about 45 minutes talking in the gym (we were those people lol). I was in a relationship at the time and shortly after realized I shouldn't be. A few weeks later my current girl (we are not labeling our relationship/each other for fear of messing it up) essentially knew we were in a relationship. Before that she had made plans to go stay with a family, working as a Nanny, in France for the next 0-6 months (6 months max due to Visa). She took off yesterday at 6:55pm local time, and is now safely with the family in France.

I have tried to be in 1 long distance relationship previous to this, it failed miserably after a year. Flash forward to now, we had to choose how to handle the upcoming distance. We decided to put in the effort to stay close, if we do stay close we know it's meant to be and we will continue. If we drift then we drift, and will see what life has to offer in all directions. Personally, only way I can deal with it knowing how I feel about her is to say I'm going to make this work because she is what I want.

So essentially i'm here to have people to talk to and get a better understanding of how to handle the situation, overall I feel very lucky. Technology makes a world of difference in dealing with distance, and I am willing to deal with the frustration and difficulty due to the worth I see in the relationship and the individual. It has almost become a challenge to beat this and end up on the other side!

A little about me, I'm a full time technician at a dealership, and a full time student who will graduate in December. I'll head straight for my EMT after that.

I appreciate everyones time, feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Welcome! Look around the forum. There are tons of posts here with really great LDR advice. My advice to you can be summed up in three points:
    1) Stay busy! LD is easier when you are focused on your own life and are not dwelling on the fact that your loved one isn't near. Especially since she is only gone 0-6 months, you have an end date in sight that is very attainable if you stay focused on your life outside of your "thing".
    2) Schedule communication. As I'm sure you know, communication is key in any relationship. This is even more true in LDRs. Since she is in another country, time difference will play a role with you guys. Planning times that work for both of you make communication regular and continue the relationship.
    3) Plan "dates"! Watch movies, play games, cook dinner. Whatever it is that you guys want to do for fun, do it! You can't just talk the whole time, sometimes you need to do some "normal people" things and have a little fun together.

Best of luck to you both and I hope you enjoy LFAD!

Comment

Welcome to the forums

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I do feel lucky I have quite a bit going on, and working as a mechanic keeping my hands busy keeps my mind busy so that's good.

Comment

Working...
        X