Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florida - France, Oh la la.

Hey Gang,

I've been a member since October or November. I met my French boy in Boca (March 2010) while he was interning at my university. His next internship was in Italy so he invited me. I jumped at the opportunity with open arms. A chance to travel and possibly solidify an amazing relationship?? Yes, please. I've been back in the States since late December and enjoying the time with friends and family. Some days are unbearable. Others are much easier. But I've learned 3 things:

1. Trust the one you're with and let them live their life away from you. Everyone wants to go out and have a good time. You can't fault your love for grabbing a beer at a bar or club with friends. I even think flirting and meeting new people is good. I remember an older woman on a plane told me this once and I was horrified, but I get it now. Flirting builds your own confidence and, in my own case, reminds me of how amazing my own guy is. Granted, there's an appropriate way to flirt and boundaries, but, overall, I think it's healthy. Bugging your love about what they're doing with whom will only push them away. Use your brain, though. If something walks and talks like a cheat, put on your boot and exert a good kick.

2. Focus on your own life. Yes, we're separated and I would love to be doing fun things with him, but just because we're 5,000 miles apart doesn't mean I have to wait to do those things. Because of this, I've planned two trips with friends and am going to several shows and festivals in the next few months.

3. Look toward the future with your love. I get to see my Frenchie in a month and am elated. He'll graduate in July and move here soon after, allowing us to officially start our life together. This plan has eased the fear of "what if?" Granted, life isn't predictable and things don't always happen as planned, but without some idea of your future together, what's the point of long distance??

Every relationship is different, but these simple things have helped me immensely. I look forward to meeting you all and wish you nothing but the best

Chrissy

Hey welcome to the forums (even thought its a lil late ) love the story and the tips and couldnt agree more with them my SO and I live very productive and social lives outside of our relationship . Good luck with everything with your love and I get to I see my boy in 18 days and Cannot wait!!
    " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
    Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

Comment

Welcome to LFAD! Great story!

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

love your intro post! welcome to LFAD
        Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
        And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
        ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

Welcome!
          LFAD Book Challenge: 4/25 Complete
          Currently Reading: Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo (219/1463 pages read)
          Total Pages Read This Year: 3283

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Working...
            X