Things to know by 25(ish)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garnet View Post
    You and I have had different experiences, both in our own lives, and in those around us. I said fairly early on that if this article helps someone, great - so I'm not quite sure why you're jumping on what I said. I can't even tell if you read everything I said, since I also mentioned that I thought it was a great thing when people do find someone to use as a sounding board, as the OP suggested.
    It appears to me as though you are just looking to argue, and perhaps if you had a better understanding of what I was actually saying, you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss my interpretation as simplistic.
    It really doesn't matter though. I have shared my thoughts with the OP, and have no interest in getting farther into this with you.
    To be fair, this hits a personal chord with me, as I don't think I'd be alive today without talk therapy and my parents' negative opinion towards it prevented me from getting help for many years. However, I did read everything you said very carefully. I addressed that specific part of your opinion because I didn't think it was a very fair interpretation of what the article was saying, and that stands.

Comment

Um, counseling doesn't need to be some major or intense thing. It's mostly just good to go and talk everything out because the person on the other side 1)can't judge you 2)doesn't know you personally and 3)has no reason to try and muddle things up.

In fact in my Counselling Strategies class, it was recommended to us(as future psych professionals), to get counselling ourselves. It helps one straighten thoughts and such out in their own mind and time.
      “But now, I know, how absence can be present, like a damaged nerve, like a dark bird.”

Comment

What an interesting article. Several of those points are similar to what has been happening to me.
        I'm in my early twenties, so a little younger than 25 but I suppose it doesn't matter.
        I believe that I am transitioning into my true personality. As a teenager I was confident and yet extremely anxious in regard to change and uncertainty. All my friends knew what they wanted to do and did degrees that would lead to their dream jobs. I had absolutely no idea.
        I did a degree I found interesting and I learnt a lot. It was only three months after I graduated that I stumbled onto what I wanted to do. Reading this article it makes me realise that I've discovered it earlier than most people. I love waking up in the morning and going to work.
        There are others points I could talk about but this point is the most poignant one. (I think that's the right word.) lol
        "Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'm possible"- Audrey Hepburn

Comment

This article had a lot of valuable things to say. I think the comment of hitting 28 or 30 and seeing some people you know break through as adults while others cling to adolescence is so true. It was also a relief to hear someone say that he doesn't think people figure out what they want to do until they're in their early thirties. It almost gave me permission to stop feeling terrible for not knowing right now. I'm going back to school at age 28 because I think I might like something and be good at it, and this was a nice little shot to the arm of encouragement. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Working...
          X