SO is Persian Jew and I'm me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO is Persian Jew and I'm me...

And I don't just love her, I'm in love with her.

I feel like my relationship is a time-bomb. Her family culture is exactly what you'd expect of Persian(Iranian) Jews. If you don't know, read the link below.

https://thecolonic.blogspot.com/2007...an-dating.html

We've broken up twice now, month apart each time, for "fears" she won't explain no matter how much I try to inquire, it reverts to her not knowing and answering, "unno." Except to explain during the breakups that she can't be with me, shouldn't be with me, as well as doesn't want to be with me(Which the last was trying to emotionally disconnect, so doesn't phase me). <--Frustrating though!

Now our end of January meeting has been canceled by her as of the other day and it made me feel like someone just scooped up the first shovel full of dirt to make my grave with, because I know she wants me to be there physically...

And it hit me today that what I suspected of her upbringing, was in fact the reason for our difficulties in just being a couple. She is of drinking age, lives at home, doesn't work, doesn't drive, and is "protected" by her parents. She can't go out and stay with friends overnight, she doesn't go anywhere alone from the house, and definitely never left alone in groups if there are no girls present as well. Her friends are very few, because they essentially can only be Persian Jew's or family related, which she doesn't get along with as it is as her mother is Russian Jew, and her father's side of the family, Persian treats them both like lepers socially, though still enforces Persian customs of "Social circles" on them.

This has meant that my texts or calls are ignored(phone is on silent to conceal it) until way, way later when she can get away from her mom and dad to communicate back. They spy on her, they walk into her room at 2am if there is so much as a glow from her laptop to check on her; which means when we skype or just chat, the slightest noise or light outside of her room, see's her slamming the laptop shut, closing our session for the rest of the night for fear they'll take up a second visitation. It's almost laughable if it didn't make me feel like a heel...or worthless, because sometimes she can't even say "brb" in chat or else clue them that someone more important than them is being communicated to.

And this is completely normal for her culture. If you didn't read the article and don't know what I'm talking about yet, read it.

I'm in deep shit here emotionally, because today I contemplated ending the relationship to protect myself, knowing it might not end well should her parents learn of me, but the thought of doing so has made me extremely ill all day since I even considered the notion. And the pressure of her parents would certainly win out if it came to that since she lives with them currently. She, no joke, said if they figured out we were together, they'd take her phone and internet away. I can't even send mail in letters or gifts, because they open her mail and question who sent it. I can't even so much as send flowers, which is very much something I would do.

She's suggested flying to me twice to live with me, and I didn't catch the hint until now, that she realizes I can't ever visit her or have a gradual physical relationship, because that cutoff would happen at the snap of the fingers. It feels like an all or nothing decision has to be made soon; I walk or I tell her to come to me like she's suggested and we try, and hope it works.

This is the most complicated and extremely lopsided life crossroad I've ever experienced. I can't decide if I'm a fool for getting involved with her, but she's so special to me at this point, ending it will feel about as crude as chopping off my arm selfishly so the person I love hanging by it over a cliff doesn't drag me down...

I understand that culture having friends being a part of that culture. I think having her fly off to you would be a good idea. However you need to think of the worry it would cause her family because of their culture they are very over protective. Just put some serious thought into this. If she flys to you she may be disowned and have to be with you for a long period of time, plus their are pass ports, green cards ect.

I'm not saying it cant happen, because it can, but just think about both sides before you make the decision.
    " There is always hope.
    "

Comment

Wow, I can't imagine how difficult and frustrating that must be.

You say she is legally allowed to drink, so she is legally an adult who is legally allowed to make her own decisions. I imagine that if she ever wants to have a normal relationship outside the Persian-jewish circle, she will have to emancipate herself from her parents.

I imagine that she doesn't have a job either, and is totally dependent on her parents. If she is ever going to visit you, how would she obtain the money to do so? and if she did visit you, you realise she will be dependent on you for a long time until she feels comfortable enough to stand on her own two feet and do things like going out without you and getting a job.

Has she ever spoken to her parents about how much they are controlling her? I can understand it being part of her culture, and in a lot of cultures, respecting parents wishes is of the highest rule. I know a lot of parents just want to protect their child, as that is natural, but to be denying her such things as outings just because there's a boy there, sleep overs etc, is socially crippling.

I think she should try and find a job so she can earn a little bit of money and put it to the side for a trip. Even just working at mcdonalds or something basic so she can learn a little bit of independence.

I'm not sure what else to say, because I don't understand the entire thing, but I really do feel sorry for the poor girl. I don't think its right for parents to be so controlling over their child just because they live under the same roof. Once you turn 18 you're legally an adult (in my country, anyways), and should be allowed to make decisions without fear of repercussion from your parents.

Comment

wow. this is hard, but then again, would you consider converting to her religion? i guess that if you dont, you have zero chances, or close to zero chances to be together in the future.

also, just one thing i didnt like in your message:
        Originally posted by sardonis View Post
        It's almost laughable if it didn't make me feel like a heel...or worthless, because sometimes she can't even say "brb" in chat or else clue them that someone more important than them is being communicated to.

her parents are or as important as you, or MORE. i would say more.
        our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

First of all, I think that pinning her parents' behavior entirely on their ethnicity is problematic, to say the least.

Obviously her parents and especially her dad are very controlling and don't want their daughter to emancipate and grow up. It happens in all cultures (although it's certainly more common in some than in others).
          By the way, do you both live in the US? Does she have any education whatsoever?

I don't think there's much you can do. You can be there for her and let her know you support her in everything she does, but in the end she has to do it herself. You haven't really written much about what she wants to do. Does she want to be with you? Enough to stand up against her parents or possibly cut off any contact with them? Because the way I see it there's no way you two can be in a relationship with her parents' blessing.

I'm very sorry for her and I'm sorry for you being in that situation, but I fear there's not much you can do about it, she needs to make a decision here.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

I'm not in the same situation with your SO, but in a way, yes. My parents are very protective over their children, especially with their daughters. So it is difficult to talk to them about anything because I feel like they wouldn't agree with what I'd tell them. I am very dependent to them because I don't have a job yet and I feel like that is holding me back. Even if I'm 20years old already, they still control me in a way because I still live with them, I ask money from them and such.

I know it is both hard for you, because my SO is coming over here soon and I still don't know how to tell my parents about it.

I think it is important that you'll be able to talk with your SO about what you plan to do in your situation. Like ask her about what she wants to do about her situation so you'll be able to make your relationship work and vice versa. I think it would be nice for you to talk about it seriously. Ask yourselves if this situation is worth fighting for and worth waiting for so you can be together in the future.

I wish you the best!

Comment

I'm not in the same situation with your SO, but in a way, yes. My parents are very protective over their children, especially with their daughters. So it is difficult to talk to them about anything because I feel like they wouldn't agree with what I'd tell them. I am very dependent to them because I don't have a job yet and I feel like that is holding me back. Even if I'm 20years old already, they still control me in a way because I still live with them, I ask money from them and such.

I know it is both hard for you, because my SO is coming over here soon and I still don't know how to tell my parents about it.

I think it is important that you'll be able to talk with your SO about what you plan to do in your situation. Like ask her about what she wants to do about her situation so you'll be able to make your relationship work and vice versa. I think it would be nice for you to talk about it seriously. Ask yourselves if this situation is worth fighting for and worth waiting for so you can be together in the future.

I wish you the best!

Comment

Working...
              X