D.E.N.I.E.D. Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D.E.N.I.E.D. Again.

My boyfriend was denied a US B2 tourist visa again today. Not really sure what to do now. Even if I go visit him, what happens afterwards? He needs to meet my parents, but we can't afford a family trip to Peru (or anywhere requiring a flight + hotel, really), and it's selfish to make them use their vacation savings on that. He can't apply for another year, but in a year, nothing will have changed. He will have no new information to give them.

*sighs*
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Sorry to hear that, it must be extremely frustrating.

Comment

First of all, I'm so sorry that he was denied again. It must be so frustrating and I would be crushed if I were in your position. I wish I could give you a hug.

However, it's looking like the only way you can conceivably see him is to visit him in Peru, so I really think it's worth revisiting this with your parents. Reassure them that you will be very safe with a Peruvian native, set up a Skype meeting, educate them a bit about the country, anything that you think will help. It might take a bit, but it would probably be much easier to go by yourself with your parents' blessing than having to save up the money in secret and risk causing a huge rift if you don't do as they wish.

I hope you two can see each other sooner rather than later.

Comment

Could you meet in a different place? Could he try for a Canadian visa, EU visa, or maybe you guys can meet in Mexico? Most Latin American countries are super cheap, it'd only be the flights that would cost a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
          Could you meet in a different place? Could he try for a Canadian visa, EU visa, or maybe you guys can meet in Mexico? Most Latin American countries are super cheap, it'd only be the flights that would cost a bit.
          Wow what a great idea, I would have never thought of that.

What a crappy situation to be in, I hope you two can see each other soon. lucybelle's idea sounds like a winner to me.
          sigpic
          Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
          Our first LDR ~ August 2009
          Closed the distance ~ January 2011
          He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
          Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
          He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
          Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
          Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Sorry to hear that. It really has to be unbelieveably frustrating for you. I really like that Idea that lucybelle gave, I never would have thought of that!

Try and keep your hopes up! Best of luck to you!
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~*** So Much Love to Share ***~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I am really really sorry for that. *hugs*
              our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

I am so sorry! I would be crushed and it seems like you're making the best of it. Also, I think it's really commendable that you're thinking of your family too and not just yourself. Lucybelle's idea is fantastic, so I'd definitely give it a try. I hope that something works out soon and we're all here for you!

Comment

I agree with lucybelle. Maybe you could provide an excuse for your parents to use their vacation savings on somewhere they want to go and have your SO meet up with you. Or if he can get one to Canada, they wouldn't even have to use their vacation savings.
                  I am really sorry about your situation tho. Just remember everything happens for a reason and it will all work out in the end.

Comment

I just spent a few minutes trying to find a country he wouldn't need a visa to travel to and I couldn't find a single one. I even looked up countries poorer than Peru and he still would need a visa. Surely he knows a country he could travel to without a visa outside of South America? Canada, EU countries, Mexico, Nicaragua all need visas. But perhaps he's more likely to get one to one of those places?

Comment

Dear Kitty,

As one who has been the recipient of a VISA DENIED stamp on my passport - I feel your pain. It is very frustrating and painful when you cannot be with your SO because of a VISA. I cannot get a VISA to go to the US - it is extremely hard for 3rd world country citizens to secure a tourist visa if you don't have papers or proof that you have property and ties to your home country. Sometimes so much proof is required and sometimes you are just really at the mercy of the consul. The day I applied for a VISA I had my papers but the consul didn't bother looking at them. He just said try again after 6 months. It's not fair.

Do you just want your SO to visit or are you wanting something more permanent - if it's the latter he can try for a student visa.

Comment

Gosh, I must be sheltered... I didn't realize that people needed permission to visit the US. That's really awful for you both. I hope you can figure something out... the previous posters had some good ideas!

Comment

I'm sorry for all this trouble :-/ visas are such a pain.

I was just thinking. Maybe if you went to see him first, maybe that would make it easier for him to get a visa next time he applies? Because whenever I go to see my bf (in the UK) the immigration officers ask me if he was there recently to visit me. When I say he has, it seems to be the right answer and they let me go. I suppose that makes me look less like a 'mail-order bride' and more like a legit relationship?

Or maybe you could write a letter which he takes to the embassy, in which you invite him to visit you and vouch for him? I had to do that once for my Russian colleague, he couldn't get a visa unless he had a letter of invitation and someone to vouch for his accommodation.

In any case, if you love each other, don't give up. Go visit him whichever way you can, and who knows, maybe in time something changes for the better.

Good luck! xx

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Thanks for all your support, guys, it is really great to have such an involved community. <3

These are all the documents he took and showed to the consulate/embassy:
                            - Passport photos
                            - Passport
                            - Confirmation sheet for appointment
                            - Birth certificate
                            - Proof of payment
                            - School ID
                            - Letter pertaining to a current lawsuit he has going on in Peru
                            - House tax bill (only home owners are taxed for houses)
                            - School transcript
                            - Proof of enrollment in university
                            - Letter from his research advisor (or boss, since he's paid)
                            - Copy of his mom's ID
                            - Copy of my parents’ IDs
                            - Envelope from USA (for proof of prior communication)
                            - Copy of invitation letter
                            - Copy of sponsorship letter to the embassy

We did everything we could and it still wasn't enough for them.

Thank you for looking that stuff up, lucybelle. It is a nice idea and in theory it should work out well, but it would be much more expensive than just him coming here or me going there because we would have to factor in hotel and food costs, as well as the additional money from two flights rather than one. If my family were to go on a trip and meet him somewhere, I'm not sure how the costs would factor in. The thing about my family going to Peru would be that my boyfriend is offering to pay as much as he can for the hotel that my family would have to stay in, so we at least have those costs covered.

Anyway, yeah, this has been a really upsetting process and at this point I'm feeling really hopeless for our future together. We're not giving up or anything, because we love each other, but it sure is a lot of waiting around. We just wanted to be able to visit one another for a couple weeks-- we're both in school still and we both have research obligations, so neither of us can stay for any longer than that. I really don't want it to be a fiance visa that finally brings him here.
                            Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                            Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                            Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

That is a serious let down. I get you wanting him to meet your parents, but is there a reason for the rush? You never know how many things can change in a year that you dont expect. Dont let it set you back. Just keep looking at other options.

But that does suck. Im sorry
                              Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

Working...
                              X