Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the Girls...No offense to the Guys.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did date a couple of mummy's boys, but they were fairly easy to spot early on so thankfully those relationships never took off.

My boyfriend has a healthy relationship with his mum, I think. As he grew up without a Dad, he could've easily been overly attached to her, but he didn't end up that way, thankfully. He moved away to uni and has lived on his own ever since. They talk on the phone once or twice a week, and he sees her a few times a year, which I think is perfectly reasonable. She is important to him and he cares for her a lot (which is also important to me), but he doesn't prioritise her opinion over his own or mine, and is capable of making his own decisions.

I figure that's the key thing right there. For me, it's not a question of whether his mother is a sweetheart or a bitch, she might as well be like second mother to me, but if we're a committed couple, then her active influence in our relationship is uncalled for. He's a grown up and needs to live his own life, making decisions on his own - we need to make our decisions on our own. We need to have private moments together, moments just between us, we need to do stuff the way we see is fit. If his mother, or mine for that matter, interferes in any way, even with the best intentions, it just doesn't sit right with me.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

I have dated one once, and even though I got along with his mother, it was still frustrating at times.

With my current boyfriend, I'm actually living with his mother. She is so nice, and always includes me in whatever, even when he isn't around. He lives on his own, but is over here more than he used to be and I think his mom is happy about that. He's not a mama's boy, but is quite close to his mom as she raised him and his sister singlehandedly. I believe that he has that balanced relationship with her where he respects her, but will stand up for his own opinions. His mom has trouble not knowing when to back off, and he can get overly defensive with her. But they both know that they can improve in those areas and are working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rugger View Post
        I'm super family-oriented. If you don't get my family's approval, sorry you are gone. When everyone else walked out, my family was there. Maybe I'm a "mamma's boy" in that respect, but I don't see a problem with that. I would never ever date someone who treated their mother like shit and I would never date someone who was all oedipal with their mother either. You do need a balance.

I adore both of his parents and they adore me. They know how much I love their son and only want what's best for him. His mother and I are close, We drink together and gossip, we go to see movies when my SO is at work and we go shopping. It's like being with my own mother. I gues I got lucky
        that. my SO´s father passed away years ago and I never got the chance to meet him, but his mother knows how much I love her son, and how much he loves me, and is happy for us, and helps us however she can. when we are out and about she introduces us both as her children! than explains I am going to marry her son, but she already considers me part of her family!
        So im the daughter she never had! XD

but i see how some mothers can be awful, controlling their sons lives and whatnot. i wouldnt stand that either. there is a limit for everything.
        our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

The ex-husband was a mama's boy. At least I thought he was. In the beginning of the marriage I resented him and her for their closeness. I got the feeling that I had to be close to his mom and the rest of his family. Coming from a broken home - anything that had family in it just didn't settle well with me. As time progressed I realized that he wasn't being doted on by his mother, he wasn't a mama's boy - He was just a lazy ass bastard that had nothing more to do than sit on his balls all day like a hen sits over her eggs and mooch off his very generous and kind parents. My now mother-out-law and I are good friends. I'll take his mom over him any day.

Comment

Mine is not a mamas boy. But i wouldnt even call the woman a mom. But even though he isnt, it is still his mom and he will make every excuse in the book for her. I dislike this woman. She should never have been a parent. So in my case that is annoying.
            Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

My SO has tendencies. The only reason I say that is because I haven't yet had the strength to admit to myself that he might be one
              He's a mama's boy in a different way. He seems to have mixed feelings about her. But he doesn't admit to it a lot. He puts on this lie that he's totally cool with his mom and all that. Which is fine, whatever. But it seems like the only reason he does the things he does (i.e, eat lunch with her every so often, run errands with her if she asks, etc...) is because he doesn't want to deal with her nagging him. And trust me...I don't blame him. I'm not going to get into much, but I have had issues with him in the past. Even now, there are times when I feel he gives her more respect than he does me, and because of the type of relationship they have, it just doesn't make sense to me why he will go out of his way to prove that I'm wrong and make sure I know that, but if his mom says something that is totally bogus, she might be right -_- He's more afraid of her than anything. Maybe not fear, but I do know that he feels obligations because he lives there without rent. I've told him before that he's not obligated to do anything but his chores. He is her child, and he's only 20.
              Anyway...I have mixed feeling about her too. It's like when she's on the rag everyone has to be nice to her, but no one else is allowed to have a bad day. She's the only woman in the house, so she's use to having the attention. And boy does she demand it -_-. Anyway, I try not to let it bother me. It's not a huge issue so no big deal. At least if she really doesn't like me, she has the decency to pretend lol.
              sigpic
              Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
              Our first LDR ~ August 2009
              Closed the distance ~ January 2011
              He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
              Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
              He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
              Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
              Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Working...