Coping with Low Self-Esteem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coping with Low Self-Esteem?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this. :/ Though a stint of it has to do with my SO, most of it has to do with me personally. I seem to always have trouble figuring out where to post things...

It's been almost four months since my partner's mother passed away, and though things have improved, I feel like I, personally, have hit a wall in my/our progress.

Over the holidays was about when my partner's moods switched from irritable and angry to an almost morbid depression. This became even more apparent when he had a great time being out with old friends (whom he hadn't seen in months) for NYE and came home to face the reality of what his situation was. As a result of this, the reassurances have waned, though he doesn't quite see it, the affection has waned a bit, though he doesn't see that either, and the closest I see of him to the man I know and fell in love with is more or less first thing in his morning. Now, this isn't to say the reassurances/affection have stopped completely. They haven't. He still tells me the sweetest things. Earlier when he was upset, I told him that I was sorry I couldn't make it okay and I have said often that I would give anything to change his situation for him, and he told me, "Knowing you're mine makes me feel okay. Because I'm not alone, and I don't mean relationship-wise. I mean in the world." He's come back when we've been talking late my time and said things like, "I didn't mean to take so long with what I was doing. I feel stupid because now you're probably asleep and I'll sit here missing you so, so much like I always do. Are you there? Please be there." He's reassured me that nothing's changed and we still talk about things such as my visits and my working holiday. He has been wonderful, and why? Because despite everything he's going through, despite all of that, he's still trying. He's still putting effort into making our relationship work and being the best that he can be. Hell, he got his passport done sooner than I expected and without any prompting even after telling me to remind him to get it done!

And I love him to pieces. I mean prior to all this, I felt like I was living my fairytale, and there are days I still do. He is a wonderful man, so much older than his age (sometimes. Sometimes he's still very much a 19-year-old boy. ), and not only someone I love, but someone I admire and respect. I have full faith in our relationship and I would guess that even with the waning reassurances, so does he. He has said so, and he has said that nothing has changed and he has told me that I am more or less fearing something irrational, because it doesn't exist.

But I struggle a lot with self-worth, and I can feel it coming into play here. I can feel it coming into play when I'm upset about something he doesn't even get, because he's not the sort to simply miss something that blatant. He does not see why I feel so insecure in our relationship when he sees it as solid, when he has faith and confidence in it, when he sees it as that's nothing changed and we're still on the same course we always were. The reason I feel so wound up and insecure is because ever since I was about 12, I have relied heavily on outside reassurance, not only in my relationships but also in my life academically and socially. It's worse with males than females and I'm guessing based on the "role models" I grew up with. But the thing is that even an A+ means nothing to me unless someone else sees it/hears about it and then praises me for it. My personal accomplishments mean little to me unless they are recognised by someone else as being an accomplishment. When it comes to me and the nagging little voice in my head, nothing is good enough. I am, through and through, a perfectionist to the point that it's detrimental. I can get an 100% on a paper or a homework sheet and still find things wrong with it; the praise from my mother or some other outside source simply drowns out the self-deprecating voices in my head for a while. :/ I worry constantly about not being good enough, not being worth it, not being deserving enough, not only of my partner but generally of everything. I blow simple mistakes out of proportion and though I have worked on it to a point I no longer burden people with excessive apologies for what they hardly noticed, I still go over it and over it and over it obsessively in my head. When faced with situations out of my control, if I have no way of seeking/gaining control of them, I also tend to hit a sort of downwards spiral.

With my partner's situation, which is the same as my mother's several years ago, I obviously had no control over his mother's death. I had no control over my grandmother's death. The situation is not anyone's fault. Life happens, and people have to deal with it. However, because I played no part in it, because I cannot rationalise it into being my fault (generally I twist even the most irrational of things into being "my" fault, simply because then I feel like I have control over it, an ability to fix the situation, and I have had people take advantage of this; luckily my SO's very big on accountability so has helped break me of this habit a bit) or something I caused, I end up feeling so completely helpless and out-of-control that, again, I internalise it and it becomes detrimental to my self-worth. My partner took a month-long break. My mother considered suicide. For some reason, I feel like if only I were good enough, if only I'd tried harder, been more, been something better than I am, then neither of these things would have happened. Both have assured me neither of these things had to do with me, and logically, I can believe it, but emotionally, it's hard to see it differently than I currently do. I realise I'm taking so much more personally than I should be and that I can't take those things personally if I'm going to make it through this situation, but it's difficult.

I will admit that a part of this might be the fact I'm due on my period any day now. I also ended up quitting a medication (been on it for three years) at the 50mg point (was on 200mg) as opposed to the 25mg point, which is what I am/was supposed to be doing. I will not lie and say I'm brilliant with my medication. I went cold turkey off a 100mg dose of an antidepressant I was on for several months and paid hell for that one. :P I am assuming that both of those might play a part in the fact I've cried at the drop of a hat lately, but I know that a lot of it boils down to issues and insecurities I deal with in all aspects of my life and on a daily basis. :/ Someone mentioned to me that I need to separate the past from the present, because I'm tying way too many feelings from what happened with my mother to what's happening with my SO, but when those emotions were numbed and repressed simply to survive the situation with my mother, when they're being re-awakened through my experience with my SO on top of the feelings caused by the situation itself, it's difficult. And I do intend on starting to see someone to help me through this, but I figured I'd see what LFAD had to say. Anyone ever struggled with similar issues? How did you handle them/work through them? How did you learn to cope, or how are you learning to cope?
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Wow, what an awful thing for your SO to be struggling with. I personally have had the blessing of never experiencing a passing in the family. I have to say though, although of course I'm sure it's stressful for both of you, he seems to be healing well, and you as his SO are doing your part by being there for him and being his support. I think just give him time and he'll come around more. Everyone mourns differently. My SO locks himself away for days with no communication to the outside world, so at least you don't have to deal with that ^^'

You sounds pretty similar to me. I also have a history of struggling with self worth. Just like you, if something awesome happens to me, or if I accomplish something, it is meaningless to me unless someone else shares in my happiness. It's not necessarily a bad thing that you want to share you accomplishments, but try to take some time before you tell anyone, to tell yourself "you did, girl. You deserve this". Whenever I do something that I've worked for, whether I had to work hard or not, is I take myself out and buy fast food, or cute shoes or something. I reward myself, and that makes me feel good, even aside from other people being happy for me.

As far as your general low esteem, what I found to help me is when I get up in the morning and get ready for the day, putting my make up on and whatnot, instead of pointing out the flaws, point out the good things. The same thing applies to your inner traits. Point out the good things about who you are. To me, you seem to be a very supportive girlfriend, understanding beyond a lot of peoples'. And just seeing how active you are here on LFAD, you genuinely enjoy to help people. You put your own time and issues aside, to address other peoples' in very detailed and careful writing. Even though there can be flaws to it, you put your all into what you do. There aren't a lot of people out there like that. Because of these things and much much more, you are an asset to not just this community, but the general population. You seem to be a very sweet person, and I'm sure your SO can vouch for that.
    You have so many burdens that aren't even yours to bear. Have you tried just talking to a psychiatrist about it? Even if it's just to get these things off your chest, it's worth talking to someone.

Oh! So the med that you've recently stopped taking, is that a hormonal medication? If so, I think that that might be almost solely responsible for what you're feeling. I don't suffer from depression, but I do suffer from pre menstrual syndrome, which can come close to it sometimes lol. Before I started on birth control pills, I also cried at the drop of a hat, felt immense pain and guilt, and felt that everyone and everything blamed me. Dropping anything that has hormones in it is a really bad thing to do X) When you take something that has hormones in it, especially antidepressants, your brain eventually realizes that it doesn't need to make that specific hormone anymore since it is coming in anyway. So it stops making whatever hormone it is you're taking. Therefor when you just stop cold turkey, your brain is not given any time to start making that hormone again. So you're left to deal with not having that hormone for a while until your brain starts producing it naturally again. My best advice to you is to always ALWAYS talk to your doctor before you stop taking anything with hormones in it. Even if he/she feels you should continue the treatment, it is their job as doctors to give you medical advice to what you are asking for. My mom went through the same thing, and it's very common for anyone taking hormones especially antidepressants to feel that they don't need the meds anymore so they just stop. After my mom started taking it again, she felt a lot better about herself. I'm not telling you to start taking the medication again, I'm just saying that that's probably a big part of why you're feeling like this. I'd also suggest talking to your doctor about what you're experiencing. Doctors are our friends
    And I just saw that you intend to talk to someone about that. Talking is so good for you, it taps into your happy receptors in your brain. Something like that XD.

The things I did to cope with my emotional issues were not as effective until I could first learn to be more emotionally stable. For me, that meant taking birth control pills to regulate my estrogen levels. Another thing that does wonders for me is keeping a journal. Whenever I'm feeling unstable, or just down in the dumps, I write about it. Even if I don't initially know what's wrong with me, usually there's something hidden deep that I didn't initially realize. I usually feel a lot calmer by the time I have everything written down. And I always write as if I'm talking to someone. No formalities. Just writing. Or typing.

Anyway, hopefully you didn't get lost, I tend to kinda ramble through.

Hope you feel better!
    sigpic
    Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
    Our first LDR ~ August 2009
    Closed the distance ~ January 2011
    He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
    Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
    He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
    Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
    Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Yes, I deal with the same emotions. Not because I've had a passing, but because I guess it was how I was raised.

I got a 99% on a paper and jokingly criticized to others that they couldn't just throw the extra 1% in there to give me a perfect 100%. I felt like I shouldn't have even passed the paper, and when I got a 99% I was upset because it was "so close" to being a perfect paper, but "so far". I wonder what I did wrong to get the % knocked off.

I sometimes blame what's going on w/my SO on me. I know logically that nothing going on up there is my fault, but emotionally I feel like "if I did this differently or didn't text so much..." and like you it's hard for me to separate emotion from fact.

What do I do.. hm.

Well, we are often not how others see us. I remind myself that others most likely are not NEAR as critical of me as I am. I remind myself that if I REALLY weren't worth something I don't think I would be trying as hard as I am to convince myself that I am, that I wouldn't try to get good grades, and any numerous other things I have going on in life that I put effort forth.

I have to remind myself just because I was raised with a critical family does not mean they meant to be critical to me in a negative manner, just that they want me to reach my full potential. it helps, but it's only slightly comforting.

I do think the medication could be part of it. I can't speak to the period.

Also, I think the past could be playing a role as well, as I struggle with it in different ways, but I think it's important not to give it TOO much credit because I can logically-but-not-emotionally separate myself from it as well and I feel it's important to take hold of the actions now and not base them off the past.. even if it may be true.. because to me that's justifying it and it doesn't matter *why* I am behaving that way, so much so that I am and except to trace it and realize that it NEEDS to stop.

i'm largely still learning to cope with a lot of it. i just try to train my brain different. congratulate myself on something more in addition to being critical. if i find myself being critical I yell in my head STOP IT! to that little voice. it's thought reconstruction. you teach yourself to think differently.

I don't know if this was any help but after reading your post you and I seem to be a lot a like in this manner. If you want someone to talk about it with you can get a hold of me

Comment

@ushiwakafox -- Thank you very much for your response. I really appreciated it.

He did withdraw for a while, though a part of that was down to his not having internet. When he lost his mother, he also lost his home - his father was still listed as a tennant even if he didn't live with them, and living with his father was not an option - and he now has his 15-year-old brother to think about, which has also been a bit of a struggle, as his father decided to take him/them to court over his brother's custody (he's vying to become his brother's legal guardian), so in a way, it's like with a single event, I'm not only dating someone who lost his mother, his home, but also someone who now has a child to think about. It's been a huge adjustment for the both of us and it naturally threw a wrench in the works as far as future plans to be with one another, so that's likely contributed to my insecurity around our relationship; given the fact he's still in the throes of his grief, still figuring things out, and will be for some time, it's understandable we don't have a solid future plan beyond my working holiday (2013) and likely won't for a while. But we did go through a month of having very little contact - we were lucky to each send a text or two a day - so I understand how difficult it is and I suppose it's good to be reminded of the fact that we aren't there anymore. We may not be 100%, but we aren't at 0% either.

I think your suggestions are good ones, and ones I have suggested on other forums, likely here as well, and even on my advice blog. Funny how the advice you're so confident to recommend can be the advice you shy at when it comes to applying it to your own life. :P I have done the whole "talking at/to/in the mirror" thing, but it ended up frustrating me even further because it was almost as though I was speaking to my reflection. It was easy enough to say "stop thinking like you are. You know you're a good girlfriend," but I got really incredibly tongue-tied when it came to saying "I need to stop thinking like this. I know I'm a good girlfriend." I'm not sure why. I know that a lot of the time, changing your emotional state often starts out with changing your perspective and the way you think about things. I'm a huge believer in CBT and I'm actually in line to becoming a psychologist myself. I may make it a point to be as determined about using the "I"-statements in the mirror as I am about keeping up with an exercise routine. I do like the idea of a rewards system, though. When it comes to money, I tend to be cheap as when it comes to me yet I'll literally fork over an insane amount for somebody I'm close to in the blink of an eye. I have even sent money to complete strangers to help afford things they've wanted. Perhaps I'd do best to remember that sometimes I deserve little treats too, and maybe celebrating my accomplishments might make spending money on myself a bit easier.

I was seeing a therapist (been seeing her since I started university) and she helped me immensely. I'd seen a psychologist for 2-3 years before who literally put the psycho in psychologist - she literally would not show up to appointments/forget we'd made them, blamed me for even her faux pas, got angry at me if I confronted her about doing something I didn't like, told me I was in denial if I said I felt she was misunderstanding, talked to me about the sex life she had with her husband, etc. - but she was what we had available to us at the time given the circumstances. Going into university, I was referred to a therapist with whom there was an affordable copay and we worked through a lot of what I have been through, including some of my darker history. I stopped seeing her over the summer, then started seeing her again when my boyfriend first lost his mother/started withdrawing, and she blatantly admitted to not understanding his behaviour. The fact she didn't understand something so simple as grief and the fact I was constantly explaining it to her turned me off from continuing with her. :/ It's not that she's a bad therapist - she's wonderful and helped me through quite a bit - but she simply didn't understand grief in the most basic of ways and I really needed that at the time. More recently I have been seeing someone for Psych-K which does absolute wonders for me, and that's the person I mentioned seeing for this. I imagine she'll help quite a lot.

The medication I'm going off of is actually Lamictal, which was being used as a mood stabiliser for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder (originally). I don't want to talk to my psychiatrist about it because he got cross with me for going off the antidepressant so abruptly. Though I understand and accept this as a consequence of my behaviour, he went on to tell me that it was proof of the fact the antidepressant must have been doing something and disregarded my argument that going off 100mg that abruptly is going to cause some intense withdrawal symptoms; the medication was doing nothing for me, I know that, and once the withdrawal symptoms settled, I was as fine as I was on it. The same is with the Lamictal, really. :/ If I'm honest about any withdrawl symptoms, he wants me to stop decreasing it and consider going back on what was my regular dose. My opinion is that I'm going to have withdrawl symptoms on decreases of medication my system is used to. They usually span for a week or two, and then I'm fine. His opinion is that I should stay on the medication and mine is that I was only ever using the medication as a crutch. I went from 5 medications to 1 and I'm functioning fine. While I think the medication did well for me when I needed it, I have spent enough time seeing my therapist weekly that I have learned how to face life a hell of a lot better than I did. I still have things to work on, yes, and feel that we, as people, can only improve and continue to learn, change, grow, and flourish, but I feel ready to do it without medication. I know I'm not doing it smartly but it's almost too late in the game for that. >_< However, you could be right and it might solely be down to this. I wouldn't argue it given what going off my antidepressant did.

I used to keep a journal but I got into using LFAD as a journal of sorts. Which I probably shouldn't. :P I gave off the wrong impression of my relationship to a couple people by posting about the hard times we faced. I may still be, I have no idea, but it helps hashing things out with another voice and opinion. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your words of support and encouragement and you taking the time to respond so thoroughly. <3
        Last edited by Haley53; January 7, 2012, 11:35 PM.
        { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
        to be continued...

Comment

@anlgp -- Only saw your response after I posted mine. I'll respond to you soon.

Responding now:

Thank you so much for your response as well. It means a lot that you took the time to share.

I'm normally all right at separating the past from the present. Yes, there are issues that are extremely deep-rooted that can be triggered due to things I have been put through, but for the most part, I am able to say "he is not my past. He is my present, and he is hopefully my future. And that's that." But I think the issue with this is that the emotions I'm dealing with have been repressed for several years.

We moved to the bay area when I was 12 to be closer to my grandmother and grandfather. Within a month, my grandmother was both diagnosed with and passed away from cancer. Given the bond my grandmother had to this family, I/my sister were not only grieving, but my mother reached a point she couldn't function. She slipped into a deep and suicidal depression that led to my seeing her only when she drove us to and from school. She ended up having a bout with alcoholism, and I became the mother through that experience. I helped her to bed, made sure she could walk, held her hair, etc. I also had to care for my younger sister, who was 9 at the time. At 14, my parents divorced, and though I will say it was the best decision my mother ever made (my father was an extremely abusive man), because my father had been the "breadwinner," we faced poverty. My mother started working 12+ hour days. Money was thrown for alcohol and cigarettes, for her, and I babysat so that we could eat. I would literally bring my sister with me so that we could eat during mealtimes with the families I babysat for. Money from that also went to buying food for the family. We reached out to my grandfather, who is extremely well off, and the man saved us from losing our house by paying property taxes etc. For that I'm grateful, but he turned his shoulder and told us he would not give us money for our sanitary napkins. We bought food in bulk and had to go to the food bank. It was a horribly and miserably depressing time and I had no choice but to swallow my emotions if only I were to survive the situation.

Now, we're better off. My mother's a business owner of five years and doing quite successfully, growing exponentially with each year, even if we have high points and low points. I am in university for which my grandfather started a fund, so I do have a full-ride through (the relationship with my grandfather is complicated and I'm choosing not to get into it) and I am so grateful for that/the opportunity. I have a well paying job. We can pretty much count on regular meals now. :P etc. We are no longer at the point we had to share a single tub of water between the three of us so that we could afford the water bill or at the point where burritos were pretty much the only thing we ate. As is typical when things start stabilising, life started becoming a safer place for my emotions. Through medication and therapy, I received the help I needed. However, some of those emotions were still very much repressed, and this experience with my SO is triggering a lot of memories and emotions that I'm remembering now that I didn't five months ago. I'm not saying this excuses my feelings at all, and I haven't let my behaviour affect him as much as I've been able to help it. My behaviour hasn't come across in my relationship as a hindrance to my relationship because I have learned self-control and how to manage my emotions and think them through before bringing them up as an issue. I think I can think of only one trigger for which I become entirely impulsive, which is a massive improvement from where I used to be.

These are emotions that are happening and smouldering in my own mind and I almost am not sure how to deal with them. They have intensified everything I'm going through with my SO, which he might not see beyond what I've tried to explain, but I do. :/ I have gotten a lot better at not blaming present problems on the past, at not categorising my SO in with the same people, and at keeping situations separate. I'm proud of that progress I've made. But in this case I feel like I'm dealing with something so much bigger and deeper? If that makes sense? These emotions have been simmering under a forgotten surface for years. My life was that way for about five years at least, and there was a lot that happened in that five years that stretched even beyond what I've explained/described. So it's like I'm trying to process those emotions, because they're being triggered, on top of what I'm trying to process with my SO, so it's difficult.
          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
          to be continued...

Comment

Wow! Y'all have gone through so much! A lot of people wouldn't be able to handle all that, which shows that both of you have pretty good heads on your shoulders. It's good to hear how determined you both are to stay with each other no matter the situation.

Yea that's true. It is hard to really talk to yourself without thinking of your reflection as an individual. I guess maybe a different way of going about it is looking at your inner qualities first. Working from the inside out. Rewards can really help out when you've done something good, even a little thing. It doesn't have to be anything too pricey if it makes you feel guilty afterwards. I have a good friend who has bought her family groceries and gas on multiple occasions, but when it came to her buying herself even a pair of pants, she felt guilty afterwards. Don't let yourself get to that point. Take yourself on a date. Go wherever you want to go. Do what you want to do. We all need to pamper ourselves once in a while

Wow, it's people like that that make me wonder why they're in the profession. It's like having a teacher who hates kids o.o. Well hopefully that craziness hasn't affected you much. Well, it's good that you've been able to see people based on your needs at the time. It's also good that you don't seem to have formed attachments to these people either. I've heard a few times of people getting emotionally attached to their therapists even though they didn't give the best advice. I hope this next person is the right match! Third time's a charm.

I think to a point, especially for how long they have to go to school, doctors know what they're doing. But only you know your body, so if you really feel certain about it, then go for it. Just because they went to school for so long doesn't mean they know everything. And if you're just as fine on just one med instead of multiple, that's definitely a good thing!

LFAD is a great place for group therapy. But I think it doesn't do everything that keeping a personal journal can do. The same can be said for group therapy. I've found that doing both really helps me stay emotionally stable lol.

Anyway, I'm sure things will start looking up for y'all.
            sigpic

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Eclaire,

I hope me butting in and offering advice isn't too forward since I don't know you particularly well.

You mentioned struggling with a sense of "not being good enough", and feeling your accomplishments are worthless unless they are recognized by somebody else. And while I struggle with this still, I find (of all things) keeping a Woody Allen quote I once read in mind helps immensely. Some interviewer commented that Woody Allen didn't seem particularly pleased with some Oscar award he had won, and he replied something along the lines of "If you accept awards when they give them to you, you have to accept it when they don't". I think I would personally add that you also have to accept that there are only a finite number of categories for achievement.

If you'll forgive the tangent - I've spent a long, long, long time trying to have my parents, particularly my father, recognize the things I do as achievements. My parents see success as distinguishing yourself academically, getting a PhD, finding some amazing job, making lots of money, then buying stainless steel ovens from the future. I spent a long time trying to follow this route - I was in all the super gifted schools growing up, then went to what would probably be considered the U.S. equivalent of an Ivy League university. It was exhausting, and I was miserable. I was also incredibly frustrated because all the things I truly loved were ignored since they didn't fit into their "success plan". I did a bunch of drama plays and finally overcame pretty debilitating shyness (it only took 5 years), then started to get lead roles. I became an adventuress and went to Japan. I got recommended by so many students along with being just plain lucky and got to teach some very rewarding classes that other teachers fought for. My parents thought acting was stupid. They thought Japan was stupid. When I came back and I dropped out of a college program because I hated it, my parents wrote me a nice e-mail detailing how I had been nothing but a complete failure.

Anyhow, I'm mentioning all this because I think it's taken my parents telling me they think my life has been a complete cock-up to see that it's imperative to define what an achievement is for yourself, and recognize it whether society views it as something worthwhile or not. And I know this is going to sound arrogant and possibly rude, but I think it's sometimes a harder lesson to learn when you're strong academically, as you've said you are. If you can ace tests and churn out thoughtful essays no problem, you're in a position where someone says "you are good enough" on a regular basis. You become somewhat perfectionistic (or at least I was), because if you get anything less than an A it means someone is telling you that you are only middling, or even bad. And when you're a perfectionist, you gain an eagle eye for spotting faults in yourself. I sometimes wonder if kids who are poor academically learn not to define achievement by what others say are achievements (good marks) simply because it would get demoralizing after a while.

So now, and I know it sounds silly, but when I feel I'm not "good enough" I go over all the Woody Allen categories I've "won" in. I won in the "got on stage and did Shakespeare without throwing up" category. I also got the "supreme adventuress" trophy, and the "got through breakfast without punching my obnoxious brother in the face" plaque. I totally the swept the "kept true to myself and kept going despite no emotional support" award show. It's dumb I know, but I find thinking of my life in this way helps. I know I'll always be good enough if I set the categories and work hard.

Given all the things you've been through - financial duress, looking after a parent, supporting a boyfriend dealing with very difficult problems right now - I'd say you're a capable, hard-working, thoughtful person. But it doesn't really matter if I say it. I do hope though that you'll consider those things as indicators that you might be slightly better than "good enough", even though someone didn't shake your hand and give you an A or tell you that you were peaches and cream when you won the "was a main factor in keeping my family going during a really rough time and came out the other side" prize.

Anyhow, I hope you found something in here useful.

Comment

@ushiwakafox -- I generally save up all my money for travel. Even if a lot of it goes to my relationship, I still like to have it saved so that I can get the most out of travelling that I can, even if sometimes I have to do so on a budget. But I may reward with a book or something every once in a while. >_> I love reading and I always have a list of "must read"s, so that might be something for me to start looking into.

When it comes to doctors, I suppose I have simply lost faith. I do understand that doctors have gone to school and are trained in their profession and are book smart in their field of knowledge, but a trend I've noticed amongst doctors is that a lot of them do not understand the mind-body connection, nor do they see the value in homeopathic remedies. I have actually separated a lot from my doctors, too, based on that they tend to use the past themselves too often to dictate the present. I have gotten a lot more fed up in the past several months based on my experiences with those in the medical profession, which has also led to my hesitancy to be completely honest with them. I'm not trying to say I know everything, either. There's a lot I don't know and I do appreciate the help my doctors have given me, but I feel like, in the medical field, once they stamp you with a label, you become that label. It truly does follow you. :/ And I really cannot have them continuously pinning me as this, this, or this and blaming my symptoms on it if I'm ever going to get better.

I do agree that journalling can probably do a lot that a forum can't. I simply get caught up in that perfectionism thing again. :P I don't want to keep a journal online or on my computer because it feels impersonal. I can't write in my journals because unless I keep my writing the same size and space, and write with the same pressure, I start feeling miserable and like I've ruined something beautiful (I have a lot of unused journals, notebooks, etc. that are "too pretty to write in"). Maybe step one can be discipline, and learning to write in my journal regardless of if it's perfect or not. The last time I kept a proper journal was when I was 12/13 and I'll admit that that did help a lot. As you can tell, I'm verbose. I do a lot of writing in my spare time and that helps a lot as well. Journal keeping may be something I need to finally buckle down and do.

@greensweatergirl -- Will respond soon.
                Last edited by Haley53; January 8, 2012, 12:35 PM.
                { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
                to be continued...

Comment

Yea that's what I did when we were LD. What I did was with every paycheck, I paid whatever bills I needed to pay, buy one thing for myself, and the rest goes to savings. It was easier for me to do that because I was living with my parents at the time. But I think a book every now and then won't put a dent in your travel savings I'm sure your SO would really like the idea of you doing a little something for yourself every so often .

Yea I can definitely see what you're saying about doctors. I had to go to the military hospital for a long time, and most of them had that mindset. Have you ever had a woman doctor? lol I know this sounds really sexist but so be it. I have found that women nurses/doctors seem to be more emotionally connected better XD. No offense to the men. But it's good that you don't follow the label that they pin on you. Like I said before, you know who you are and what you're about. As long as you remember that, everything will eventually follow suit.

lol I did the same thing with my old journals. I have so many pretty journals that I felt are ruined because my handwriting sucked. What I do is just but one of those cheap composition books. Then I'll take it home and decorate if I want. That way I don't feel like I have to write beautifully or even make sense when I'm writing. Maybe that could work for you. I kept a journal pretty well around that age too. And I just stopped, until I moved out of the country and faced a LDR around the time I turned 18. I started keeping a journal again because I only had a few people around me, and as supportive as my family is, they can only say so much before they're either repeating themselves or just don't know what else to say altogether. Journaling really helped me out, and keeping it in a composition book made me feel like I didn't need to make my handwriting so pretty. It still bugs me sometimes, but you can do a lot to make it feel a lot more personal than one you get that already says "Journal" on the binding.
                  sigpic

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Working...