No announcement yet.

The "who's moving where" issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I will end up moving to her in Europe.

She is closer to her family. I already live in another city away from my family and I am fine with moving overseas.

In favour of her moving here, I am currently studying and she isn't certain on what she wants to do in the future. I COULD change schools and move to Europe but I go to a top university in Australia and I living fairly comfortably. She could move here temporarily for 1 year on a Working Holiday visa. She speaks very good English, and there is cheap, unskilled work available for people who would be in her situation.

But at the end of the day, we are both nomads and we could end up living close to each others homes at any given stage.

Comment

Well, me and my SO are both pretty (really, actually) young. So right now, neither of us can move anywhere. We were originally planning on him moving here for college next year, but he can't afford it, so will be going to college in Mexico. Which leaves me to go to college (in 2 years..) in Arizona, so I can still study in the USA but be somewhat closer to him (a good 10 hours closer). Eventually, when we're done with college and are ready to get married and whatnot, I really hope we move back to where I currently live. I know he doesn't exactly care, but he leans more on living somewhere else. I want to live here though, because It is where my dream job is and he could get a job here too (he wants to be a psychologist). Also, my mother is blind and It'd really worry me if I lived somewhere more than an hour away from her, even though she's perfectly capable of taking care of herself. So basically, I move closer to my SO for a while, He moves with me after that.

Comment

As far as within the next 2-3 years I have no idea what will happen. I mean I will soon be going to grad school and he is a year below me. I am supposed to be applying for grad school next year and the areas are limited (approx. 26 vet schools in the USA). I definitely want to be together by then but I don't want to limit his opportunities for law school and I have a limited list to choose from. I hope we can find a grad school we can both get into (even though vet school is very competitive and can take a few years to get into). But, I can imagine how hard it is to agree on a common school. So, either we move somewhere together, he can move to where I will be going to school, or the LDR can last another 4+ years! yeayy =/

Comment

No issue for me. Ive mad up my mind and im moving to england! i love it there, its so much better then this shit hole.
          Im looking forward to moving there! I miss his family and friends so much.

Comment

For now, our plan is to close the distance (temporary?) in summer/fall this year. We are trying for him to come to my country to do his Master! After that, the job opportunities in my country will be very good! So we'll see what's going to happen then!
            We'll be moving in together in a flat near the university then!

But first he needs to get accepted and get a scholarship!!

Comment

I always wanted to leave The Netherlands and go to America! so for us the decision is really easy.. Even though I would love it if he would come here for a year or so. I'm just scared that he wants to stay haha

But moving to America isn't the easiest thing. I have to get married, win a lot of money (so i can buy a green card), or get a job where they only need a dutch person with my skills, and I don't think i'm that special :P
              \\ Someday everything will all make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything //
              \\ happens for a reason //

\\ We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing //

\\ When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” //
              \\They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, I told them they didn’t understand life!! //

Comment

I don't have an answer to this one yet; I feel like it's too soon to think about it. I know he wants me to come to him though; as much as I don't want to move to Utah, if things keep going the way they are for me here I might have to. I've been out of college for six years (!!!!) and have my bachelor degree; he still wants to go to school. His whole family is nearby and he is pretty close to them, even though his family is Mormon and he's an atheist; I basically only have my parents here--my mom and I don't get on that great and I'm not as close to my dad as I used to be because of an accident he was in a few years ago which he suffered a brain injury from. Everyone else is pretty spread out. I have no job right now and all the musical things I used to do don't seem to want me anymore. The only thing I'd be missing are my friends and some social activities. Plus gas is cheaper there, and it doesn't get as cold there in the winter, and he hates the cold so he probably wouldn't like it here.

My biggest concerns in moving would be finding a job, and also I am diabetic so I would have to figure out how to get my insulin if I don't have insurance.

I wouldn't mind getting out of Minnesota; I tried to move to New Orleans last year; I was supposed to have a job there, but the job fell through. The only reason I didn't stay and continue to look for work was I didn't have a good place to stay and didn't really know anyone. If I go to Utah I'd at least have a decent place to stay while I look for a job. He wouldn't be able to stay at our house if he came here, unless I had a good job and had my own place to live. He's going to visit me in a couple of months first though, and I want to take some cake decorating classes so I can get some skills and hopefully find a better job. He wants to get out of Utah eventually though, so who knows where we might end up.

I hope that all made sense. I guess in the end I would be ok moving, since I was going to move far away in the first place. I'm not in a hurry to get married or anything and neither of us wants to have kids so we have all the time in the world to think about it.

Comment

the way our long distance relationship is panned out is that he will be in a house or something when i start university. then he goes back to uni, we both are in uni for one year.

then on my placement year, he is in a new house.

then i go for my final year, probably in his house still.

this means that we are trying to get his placement year near London (i wont say where!), so then if he gets offered a job after he finishes university, we can carry on living near london.

which means that i can do postgraduate studies very easily.

so our decision is basically be somewhere that has easy access to London!

Comment

Working...
                  X