when it is time for an ultimatum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when it is time for an ultimatum?

First of all I want to apologize for my English, I hope it is good enough for you to understand me because I really need a group therapy because I feel that my patience has reach its end and I’m seriously considering dumping my boyfriend.

I just found this web because I was looking for some kind of answer to my dilemma and I have read some of your posts and relate with your problems and concerns so I can feel you can relate with mine too so you can give me a better advice than my friends (who said that I should break up with him and carry on with my live).

My story is this: In September 2007 I started dating my boyfriend. Although he was 27 years old (as me) he was still studying to obtain a vacancy as public servant. Most of the people need at least 5 years to pass this exam and he just started to study for it after finishing his degree. In order to be successful on his trying he needed to study at least 10 hours a day and he only had 1 day off a week so we didn’t really have time to do normal things that couples do, like stay late at night on a weekend or do a short trip to the countryside, it was a really difficult for me no having a normal relationship even having him there physically and after two years I stared feeling that our relationship was kind of stuck. Not being able to move on was driving me upset some times.

On March 2010 he stopped his attempts to access the public administration because the economic situation here obligated the Government to stop offering vacancies. So, he was 30 years old, no work experience and had to find a job in a very difficult economic situation context. I must say that inside of me I was glad because we were going to finally have a normal relationship and being able to make plans for the future and have time for ourselves. But instead of trying to find a job he asked for help and a contact gave him the possibility of working in Germany (he knows the language, I don’t) for an Spanish company as a scholarship for three months, after that they were supposed to have a talk to see the possibilities of hiring him here in Spain or there. I must say that point was never clear for me because he even have different versions... so he went away because he “needed to know if he can do it” and because he has “always wanted to work overseas” I wasn’t happy but 3 months weren’t too much...

Well, those three months became 6, and then 9 and the company still hasn’t had that talk with him. I have been there twice (3 week in August and 1 week in December) and he has come here once (4 days in October). Our time together was everything but perfect, when I was there I was alone most of the time because he worked many hours and at the weekends he was too tired. On December I spent my birthday in Germany with him but he didn’t plan anything to do or brought any gift. And when he came here I had to share him with his friends... like i said, not perfect.

About communications I must say he is the communicative person in the couple. At first we talk to each other a lot by phone or skype but lately the calls have been reduced to one per week or so, also he has had problems with his computer so no skype for the last 3 months. He is the one calling because I’m tired of pretending by phone that I’m ok with our situation.

As you probably know, there is a curve of frustration and angriness while waiting. Sometimes you can manage the distance, then depression tokes over and then you’re ok again and so on. Lately I feel that the “ok periods” are shorter and the “frustration periods” came more often and last longer. The thing is I’m done not being able to make plans for the future, I’m 32 and I feel that our possibilities of having a family are blowing in the wind, I also feel betrayed because he keeps telling me that he is trying to find a job here “for me” because he “doesn’t want to live here” but on our last call he told me that he was going to spend the weekend studying for the exams to became now a public servant of the EU, which will surely involve moving to Brussels.

I have pointed out that I’m not ok with our situation and he just told me that this is hard for him too, that he feels that he is doing something wrong and so he needs my support not my complains. I have tried to be nice but I’m done.

In two week, one of my best friends is getting married after two years of a wonderful, normal and enviable relationship; he is also having a child in 4 months. I’m so happy for him but I’m also so jealous... (supposedly) my boyfriend is coming to the wedding too so I think it is the perfect timing for me to give him an ultimatum. I love him (and I know he loves me even more), I want to spend my live with him but I need to know that we are going somewhere, that we have a future and I need to know when

Do you think I have the right to ask him for a closure? What should I tell him/do? Do you think it is time to move on and forget about him? Please, help!

do you still feel strongly about him? if so, i wouldn't move on, but he has to be fair and dedicate time to you and discussing the future (genuinely! and not just 'yeh okay, in a few years i'll buy a place over there and we can live together..' dismissive kinda way),
    he needs to sort his computer, he sounds lazy. especially if hes studying, most people can't survive without a computer for study. does he have a phone he can email you on?
    i know you're unhappy but contact him, too, if he always makes the first move ( i know you said you expressed your unhappiness to him about the situation ) he might get tired of it, and then it will cause a row.
    if he comes over for the wedding, there is your chance to properly discuss it. look into properties and maybe suggest he has work exp in your country for half a year or something?

Comment

I think you two need to sit down and really discuss where the relationship is going. Does your boyfriend even want to get married? When does he want to get married? Why is he waiting? Being together should be the number 1 priority for you two. Talk to each other and make up a plan about realistically closing the distance. Would he move back to you? Would you move to him? Would you be okay living in Brussels or Germany for a few years, and then moving back to Spain(? you're in Spain right?). Tell him how you feel, that you want to get married and that you want a family. That you love him to death, but you can't wait forever. Don't form it as an ultimatum, form it as "where is this going?"

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my post (when I post it I realized it was too long!) and for answer me.
        On his behalf I must say that he has tried hard to fix the problems with his computer (he can’t live without it) but the technical service wasn’t diligent enough. I know I should try to contact him too, it is just that I feel so angry that I’m afraid of saying something that I’ll regret later...

Comment

Once again thank you for your answer Lucybelle, I really appreciate it.

The funny thing is that we have been talking about getting married for 3 year or so, he wants to and he also wants to have kids (3 to be exact) but he doesn’t want to make that step until he is financially stable.

For me moving to another country will be really hard because my family and friends are here and I also have a job that I actually like. I have been working for 10 years, so I'm the one that has an stable live already built besides, English is the only language I can barely speak so for me, moving to a non English speaking country will be tough specially in order to find a job, I work in the communications and marketing area, words are my tools!

I think I’m going to follow your advice and talk to him and then decide...

Comment

I didn't read all the replies and am sorry if I missed something.
            I don't think its ever ok to give an ultimatum, I think if he wanted to be with you ha would have done it already, you are clearly not a priority for him, and I don't see that changing. He has never given you much time and effort.
            I think your friends are right and you would be better off moving on because he doesn't care about a future together, he's only working for himself
            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
              I didn't read all the replies and am sorry if I missed something.
              I don't think its ever ok to give an ultimatum, I think if he wanted to be with you ha would have done it already, you are clearly not a priority for him, and I don't see that changing. He has never given you much time and effort.
              I think your friends are right and you would be better off moving on because he doesn't care about a future together, he's only working for himself
              I agree with my good friend Zephii here, I believe that you are not a priority for him and right now he is focusing on his career and life ambitions. Which again is fine he is 30 years old and wants to be established in life. Perhaps down the road when everything has come together for him and you both are physically and emotionally ready to be in a relationship you guys can start something up again. But from the way I see it - it looks as though the relationship is very one sided and I can relate to you because my ex was in fact the SAME WAY...I had to end up breaking up with him - and as painful as it may seem at first you get the opportunity to discover, grow and learn more about yourself. Perhaps you'll even find a new guy who you are able to have a 'normal' or I guess I should say typical relationship with.

Good luck with the steps ahead of you and welcome to LFAD - glad to have you here.
              .We've Closed the Distance.
              no matter where i am, no matter where you are
              i'll be there when it's over baby - cause i was there from the start
              no matter if i'm near - dont matter if you're far
              all you do is pick the phone up baby & i'll be there when you call

Whenever you need me, whenever you want me,

Comment

Working...
              X