No announcement yet.

Promise rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I absolutely LOVE my promise ring. It is so nice to have something that is physically here with me all the time, it's almost like it's a piece of him. I feel naked without it. This past Christmas he got me a necklace that matches my ring. Promise necklace? Well, I see it as that anyways. I love them both!

Comment

Originally posted by greensweatergirl View Post
      I enjoyed that one.

You learn something new every day. I just have one more question. Is there any way to distinguish a promise ring from a normal ring? Because a few people have said they like others to see they are taken when they wear their ring. But if I saw someone wearing one of the promise rings they'd posted I wouldn't assume "promise ring", I'd assume, "Oh, a nice piece of jewellry."
      Honestly, I don't think there really is! I wear it more for personal significance and therefore don't really care if anyone else knows it's a promise ring. Mine has our names engraved on it so maybe that's a clue but I'm not sure. Typically they are worn on the left ring finger but then you have the "Is it an engagement ring?" issue. So I'm not entirely sure! Interesting question

This is my promise ring. This is the picture from the website because I don't have a photo of it on my computer.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
      Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
      Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
      Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
      Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

I absolutely adore the concept of promise rings. My SO and I are pushing a year and a half and I've been hoping for a promise ring now since our 1 year anniversary. I've subtly tried to hint to him about it, but he's oblivious lol. I think a promise ring symbolizes something different for each couple. It can be a precursor to engagement, or whatever promise is defined by the particular couple.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Honestly I don't like them at all, and I think it's just how they're represented in the people around me, people here think it's a chastity ring and the only ones who wear it are like born again virgins who are trying to act pure and good and then go around telling everyone how many people they've slept with. It just has a bad connotation to me, if my SO gave me one of course I would wear it and cherish it but I would never tell anyone that it was a promise ring even if it was, I'd just tell them it was a gift from my SO.

Notes:
          Met: 8.17.09
          Started Dating: 8.20.09
          First Met: 10.2.10
          Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Originally posted by Sora1101 View Post
            Honestly I don't like them at all, and I think it's just how they're represented in the people around me, people here think it's a chastity ring and the only ones who wear it are like born again virgins who are trying to act pure and good and then go around telling everyone how many people they've slept with. It just has a bad connotation to me, if my SO gave me one of course I would wear it and cherish it but I would never tell anyone that it was a promise ring even if it was, I'd just tell them it was a gift from my SO.
            Oh around my area those are called purity rings and are normally worn by girls who definitely aren't so pure..... hahah.

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Originally posted by Sora1101 View Post
            Oh around my area those are called purity rings and are normally worn by girls who definitely aren't so pure..... hahah.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
            Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
            Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
            Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
            Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

Where I am from, a promise ring is known as something that the boyfriend gives his girlfriend as a promise that one day it will be an engagement ring. Our "purity" rings are known as True Love Waits rings because that's the class everyone takes at church, and at the end of the course they get a ring. Usually by 9th/10th grade the ring is gone or being worn just so the parents still believe they are a virgin. My promise ring signifies that we are promised to each other and too broke to get married right now.

Comment

We gave each other promise rings last July when Chris and I met for the first time. We went out to the beach after the sunset and after we gave them to each other, some people further down the beach set off fireworks. It was so perfect! For us it was a promise to each other that we would never give up, love each other with our whole hearts, and get married one day =) I love my ring I wear it everyday and only take it off to shower and so does he =)

Comment

I just moved the ring I usually wore to mi ring finger. I don't feel the need for something that is specifically a promise ring... but if i got one i wouldn't think it was stupid and would wear it. They are beautiful rings too.

You had your tonsils out? I had mine out to, as an adult, a few months back. It was horrible!!! They said it is so much worse for adults than it is kids.
                  Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

We got our promise rings on my first visit to her (and our first time we've physically been together) and we use them as reminders of our deep personal commitment to each other (we've agreed that we need to be a little more local before we could possibly even think about getting engaged). We love them and we never take them off.

Comment

I love promise rings. a picture of mine can be seen to the left. my fiance (hopefully) will exchange this ring for an engagement ring.

Comment

I like them... I wear one daily to remind people that I'm in a committed relationship on the course to marriage.... I was never a big fan of them before my LDR but now I can't see myself without one

Comment

I believe the way you can tell if it's a promise ring is if it's worn on the ring finger, like an engagement ring. Which really is damn confusing as engagement rings without diamonds are making a come-back.

I kinda think they are dumb to be honest, unless they are on teens - people too young to marry. It's sweet when you're a kid, but when you're an adult I simply don't get it.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

I believe the way you can tell if it's a promise ring is if it's worn on the ring finger, like an engagement ring. Which really is damn confusing as engagement rings without diamonds are making a come-back.

I kinda think they are dumb to be honest, unless they are on teens - people too young to marry. It's sweet when you're a kid, but when you're an adult I simply don't get it.
                          Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post

Same opinion here. That said, jewelry is always a nice gift, so to recieve a ring from your SO is something amazing, and if my SO had given me a ring when we were dating (just got married yesterday, dont know how to refer to the time we were just boyfriend and girlfriend), I would wear it anyway proudly, because it would be a gift from someone I love, but I would NEVER go around telling it was a promise ring. a jewelry because you feel like giving one is something else, and something really nice indeed!
                            our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

Originally posted by Engel View Post
                              There are some adults that are unable to be engaged at this moment. And LDR couple who wants to show everyone that they're promised to someone. Even if they're not actually engaged. It's about feeling that close connection.

Comment

Working...
                              X