Movies about LDR ..... and you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movies about LDR ..... and you

I am a big movie fan and I like to fill most of my free/ lonesome time with them.

Recently I watched a movie called "Like crazy". It's exactly our topic- LDR. I won't spoil it to any of you, I just wanted to share it with you. And if you have some other to share - please do it. I like to put myself in the shoes of the characters in movies - I find stunning similarities from time to time, and movies are not always pure pink sugar.

It made me think about the reality of most LDR relationships - How did you go into the relationship at first and how have you changed now towards it. Were you doubtful, insecure, reassured, depressed, delusional ..... or whatever....

P.s. I would love to know if any of you saw the movie and tell me how did you feel about it.

Other than Going the Distance and The Time Traveler's Wife, I'm currently visiting my SO and we took a bus to the movie theater this past Saturday because I was dying to see The Vow. It's not exactly a movie about LDR's, but the emotion felt in it somewhat reminded me of the emotions felt in an LDR.

Comment

There was a thread on Like Crazy a while ago. I really wanted to love it, but I found it disjointed and poorly executed. It was a jumbly mishmash of scenes and the actors had exactly 0 chemistry. I didn't believe that they loved each other, and some of the things that they did just 100% didn't make sense. It was disappointing because I saw the trailer right around the time I was leaving France for the US, and it really stuck with me.

Comment

I'm thinking about Dear John too ...... but it didn't end that well, did it?

I think actors of Like crazy were pretty awesome young actors to look up to in the future. The story made me depressed though.

Yaaamiii - I think The Vow is just so sweet, makes your mood get better. I was eager to watch it too, so glad I did it with my SO.

Comment

I agree with CynicalQuixotic.

I get that movies aren't always "pink sugar" as you put it, and I'd heard that about Like Crazy. It's why I was so looking forward to it! I had wanted to see something that was a bit raw and a bit edgier than something like Going the Distance, which was a romantic comedy and therefore the underlying "srs bsnss" element was lacking, but Like Crazy let me down.

I will say that I thought it was beautifully put together. I liked it better than the way they did 500 Days of Summer which someone compared it to and said 500 Days of Summer did it better, but that may also be down to the fact I saw Like Crazy as being more artistic and free-flowing and 500 Days of Summer more like a logical succession of, well, a movie. But in general I loved the way it was shot, the lighting, etc.

The acting was what didn't do it for me. Like CynicalQuixotic said, I felt they lacked chemistry, and they not only lacked chemistry but there was no actual development of character, either. They didn't seem to learn at all from their lessons, mistakes, or experiences and the back and forth got tiring. They continuously moved towards marriage/the movie showed them through the visa process, but it didn't make sense to me. That entire bit of the plot lacked coherency because neither one of them worked on their relationship. Neither one of them did any more than make decisions they hardly followed through on and they lacked the ability to properly communicate through their issues. They never learned how. I couldn't get used to/didn't like the characters because she was a manipulative bitch and he was constantly whining and victimising himself as opposed to ever really realising that the situation is what it is and they need to deal with it appropriately.

I get what the point of the ending was, but I honestly found it heartbreaking not because of the way the film intended but because it was all preventable. Everything that happened was preventable and it bothered me that that was supposedly the "realistic" interpretation of LDRs that people went on about. Quite frankly, if my LDR were like that at all, anywhere near it, I'd have to seriously second-guess why I was in it. Their relationship was not botched by distance, but it was rather a product of two characters who couldn't handle it. I think the chemistry was lacking between the actors, in the writing, and to be quite frank, the movie came off, to me, as very narrow-minded and pessimistic. It's the reason people think long-distance relationships don't work. They lacked trust, honesty, and communication. They lacked the motivation and effort to make it work. In a healthy, strong LDR, you do not lack those things, and that is why I think Like Crazy was a terrible representation of LDRs.

Shame, because I really wanted it to be something.
          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
          Met online: February 2009
          Feelings confessed: December 2010
          Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
          Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
          First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
          Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
          Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
          Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
          to be continued...

Comment

I found Like Crazy online and watched it with my boyfriend and we liked it, but I think he liked it more than I did. I REALLY was not a fan of the American guy and I felt like she belonged with the English guy more. They just did not seem to get along and I feel like the relationship was kind of forced.

My friend once recommended this Belgian movie to me called Ben X. I actually really enjoyed it even though it wasn't necessarily the best movie, but it tackled a lot of issues that were really important. Part of the movie is that he gets into a friendship/sort of relationship with a girl he meets over the internet... I watched it in between relationships but I still felt very connected to it. I think that one's worth watching, too, if you can find it.
            Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
            Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
            Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

The Time Traveler's Wife has already been mentioned..
              for some reason I think The Lake House is also somewhat a long distance movie...

Comment

I cant think of many. I watch Like Crazy and i was disappointed with it. It could have been such a good movie! The Time Travellers wife... Made the mistake of watching that whilst i was on my period, just after my SO had left. I was left in tears for a good hour XD Going the Distance was an ok movie. Umm... Dear John has already been said too lol. Cant think of many more. They all get me tearing up though, i know im gonna cry when i watch The Vow :P

Comment

I didnt see like crazy. I read the threads on here and didnt really know how I felt abiut it.

But like others said:
                  Time travelers wife is a bit over done thought a good movie. But it is nice to think that he goes though all of that to be with her.

Dear John and Going the Distance, in my opinion, are more real to LDRs.

Dear john doesn't end well and I think a lot of people cant handle the distance and though they love the person, have to go on with their lives. Whether you want to or not, you cant wait forever. Life does move on. And I think it shows how hard it is to have a SO in the military and a lot of people cant handle the not knowing and that sort of distance

Going the distance is defiantly the best. Not only do I love the two main actors, but it is just a good movie and plays into what happens in a lot of LDRs. You meet someone due to a vacation, job change or school and then you enter into this whirlwind romance. But then you come to reality that you may have to be separated. Though you make the distance work for the most part, after a while you just cant be apart forever and sometimes you really cant close the distance. So you may chose to just up and move your life anyway even though it may be a horrible career move, or you just move on and if it is meant to be- then it will.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Ghost, cast away and the notebook have also come up as LDR movies.
                  Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

Have you guys seen "When Strangers Click"? It's an HBO documentary, its not specifically about LDR's, its more about people who meet their SOs online and the process of online dating but it's also about LDRs in a way. Some of the stories are very touching, its definitely worth the watch, I think it is especially helpful for showing family members who may not understand online or distance relationships.

Finding myself.

Comment

Just watched 'like crazy'. I understand why people didn't like it. I liked it.. But in a 'I don't need to watch it again' movie

Next download: going the distance
                      \\ Someday everything will all make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything //
                      \\ happens for a reason //

\\ We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing //

\\ When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” //
                      \\They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, I told them they didn’t understand life!! //

Comment

I watched like crazy a while back when that thread started...i was disappointed. What ppl have already said the poor acting, lack of character development and seriously...just plain silly what they did. Eh i didnt even watch all of it...i skipped alot lol It was jsut too slow and i was falling asleep >.> and i dont tend to fall asleep while watching movies. I'll check out going the distance and that HBO documentary if i can find it, since i met my SO online : )

Comment

I'm Watching 'going the distance' and omg.. It had me at 'sneezing panda' !!
                          \\ Someday everything will all make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything //

\\ We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing //

\\ When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” //
                          \\They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, I told them they didn’t understand life!! //

Comment

I haven't seen any of the LDR movies (apparently I need to brush on them!) but I thought the Vow was sort of applicable to LDRs. The raw emotion and situational issues reminded me of LDRs.

Plus, it was an excellent movie and Channing Tatum is super hot. See it!

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                            Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                            Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                            Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                            Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by floridaellen View Post
                              I haven't seen any of the LDR movies (apparently I need to brush on them!) but I thought the Vow was sort of applicable to LDRs. The raw emotion and situational issues reminded me of LDRs.

Plus, it was an excellent movie and Channing Tatum is super hot. See it!
                              Channing tatum? Ok.. NEED TO SEE THAT ONE!

Now watching :going the distance! Sneezing panda and the phone sex.. Omg.. Awesome!! Still laughing!

Comment

Working...
                              X