I need some advice, boyfriend got hurt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some advice, boyfriend got hurt.

Hello, I have been with my boyfriend for almost two years.

My boyfriend got into a car accident two days ago and he finally contacted me today, but his father contacted me while he was unconscious to inform me of the accident.
    My boyfriend has a bruised tailbone, 3 broken ribs on both sides, a twisted ankle, a dislocated collar bone, and a mild concussion.
    He's in pretty bad shape. I think now, he cannot come see me, which stinks. He was going to fly out to me March 20th and he worked really hard for money to be able to. I'm really sad about that, but I'm more concerned about his injuries.

Does anyone know of anything I can recommend for him to help?
    If I had the time I would go see him, but I can't.

Send him a care package! Include lots of things to pass the time because it sounds like he's going to be spend a lot of time in bed. Books, movies, video games, his favorite snacks are all good tings to include.
    "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

Well having been on the other side of this situation (I was in a car crash 2.5 years ago, fractured many things, both legs in casts as well as my right hand) just talk with him. He's going to be really really depressed. Whatever you do, don't tell him he's lucky. Yes, he is lucky to be alive, but trust me, he doesn't feel that way right now. Remind him to look at small accomplishments every day. Focus on little things, like today he could feed himself, or whatever. He's going to have a lot of time on his hands and he's going to be bored out of his mind. Chat with him, encourage him to try to come up with a new hobby, watch shows together and talk about them, send him a care package with books, trashy magazines, and a t shirt. Try to find exercises he can do (obviously in a few weeks) to start some endorphin flow. Tell him to go outside and sit in the sun to get vitamin D. Also try to get him to get off the pain killers as soon as he can. A lot of time they cause more damage than they do help. Being so helpless is really frustrating and almost embarrassing. Let him vent to you.

There is no way in the world he's going to be able to fly on March 20th. If you were planning on seeing him then, shouldn't you have time off of work or whatever? Why couldn't you go see him instead? I suppose if there's really no way, that's fine. When I was in my accident my SO never visited, but he chatted with me or sent me emails almost every day. It meant the world to me. Keep up with his doctors appointments and ask him how they went. This is not going to be a quick recovery. Be there for him.

Best of luck to your SO!

Comment

Could you go to visit him instead? I'm sure he'd love for you to be there to keep him entertained while he's injured.

Notes:
        Met: 8.17.09
        Started Dating: 8.20.09
        First Met: 10.2.10
        Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I would consider having someone call and try to reschedule the flight. Sometimes they fuss about change fees but when it comes to emergencies, whether there's travel insurance or not, depending on who assists you, they can sometimes be fairly helpful and willing to change the flight at no added charge or a minimal one.

That being said, maybe you could send him a care package to cheer him up?
          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
          Met online: February 2009
          Feelings confessed: December 2010
          Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
          Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
          First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
          Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
          Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
          Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
          to be continued...

Comment

A care package is a great idea!! I think I will do that.
            I got a day off of work, but that isn't enough time to fly to him and see him.

I'll see if his dad can handle the ticket situation, thank you for suggesting that!

Right now he's really stressing out about his friend that was driving the car, he hasn't woken up yet. And a client he was supposed to meet with yesterday about an art sale. He stayed up all night the day before the crash working on her painting for her and she's upset that he didn't get it to her when she asked, which was yesterday, which was impossible because he was out cold.

I don't know what to say to make him feel better about that.
            He's not asking for something to be said, but I feel like I should say something.

All of these suggestions are really helpful. Thank you.

Comment

Good luck! Hope he has a fast recovery!

Comment

Originally posted by Vonsever View Post
                I don't know what to say to make him feel better about that.
                He's not asking for something to be said, but I feel like I should say something.
                Sometimes you don't need to say anything. Right now he's feeling grief, and very soon it will be anger (if he's anything like me at least). You can tell him how sorry you are, that you're there for him to talk WHENEVER he needs it, and tell him you're happy he's still here for you.

Comment

@Lucy- I will do that. Thank you so much.

Comment

All great ideas have been given, so I'll just add my best wishes for your SO's speedy recovery. Take care, both of you

Comment

Working...
                    X