Webcam usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webcam usage

SOOO about how often does everyone talk with their SO on webcam? If you saw my other thread (he's thinking of leaving) my man has currently lost some motivation to stay together and the distance is really taking a toll on him. We don't talk on webcam much (since his internet was kinda bad but he got it fixed apparently) and I wanna see if I can give him some hope by telling him how more webcam usage helps other couples. Let me know!!!

ooooh and let me know Skype vs. Oovoo (or any other webcam options)

Comment

We video call each other on Messenger; there's no particular reason why we use that option, I guess it's just what we're accustomed to. We probably don't go on webcam as much as a lot of other couples (it's more of a rare treat than a daily or even weekly occurrence), but seeing one another's faces every so often really is refreshing. Webcam is great for bringing the other person closer, it's almost - almost! - as if they're in the room with you and that's a very comforting feeling indeed

Comment

We use yahoo messenger, both on pc and cells. So we cam anywhere from once to a few times a week. And we can do it anywhere, which makes it even better.

Comment

We use webcam just a few times a month to make it "more special." But we talk to each other everyday (through typing).

Comment

We use Skype (we've both used it before to stay in touch with family). We try and see each others faces at least 2 times a week-even with my crazy busy schedule. We talk on the phone almost every night and text during the day. I definitely think that Skype/webcams has helped our relationship. We were LD for several months, then CD, and LD again now. The first round of LD was very hard on both of us. This time is a little easier, simply because we do get to see each other. (Plus he can see my new apartment and wave at the cats! Haha)

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
            Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
            Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Wow. I'm surprised by those of you who only use webcams like twice per week. Not saying it's bad or whatever, but compared to what we do, it's a big drop off.

We're on webcam, literally, everyday and for hours at a time. On late days, we might not start facetime until 9:00pm my time, but that usually lasts anywhere from 3-5 hours. On days where we both get home early, we can have serious marathon sessions. And as far as making a recommendation on which cam service to use, we have totally taken advantage of Skype being a free service, which also allows things like picture sending while you're in conversation and screen share, so you can look at the same stuff on the web. We're also just now starting to use G-mail chat video, which is a little more grainy at full screen, but doesn't flow as much data at Skype, so you get less of a risk of freezing or timing out because of a bad connection. And when I say grainy, it's not even that big of a deal. It's slightly more pixelated than Skype, but the benefit is that it doesn't lose connection or freeze nearly as much.

There are times when webcam chats, especially ones where you're faces are really close to the monitor and you're fresh off having each other physically are REALLY hard, just ask LoveJ. The fresh memory of what your SO feels like, and then being so close that they are basically life size, but being limited to a 2 dimensional screen that you can't just throw your arm over and rub their back or you can't slide you hands into the virtual world and cup their face and pull them in close for a kiss.... those are some pretty hard moments. But, overall, it is a Godsend for couples who have to live apart temporarily.

Like I said, we're webcam pros.

It's also fun to share videos online, like a movie date night or to share youtube sessions and stuff like that, just so you have one more thing that you can do together.

Comment

My SO and I Skype every day during the week, not so much at the weekends as I work and he often goes on trips. But I love to see/speak to him via webcam, just hearing his voice is so comforting

Comment

One more thing, don't forget that hitting "PRINT SCREEN" will save a copy of the image of your screen.
                  You can then paste that image into a PAINT program and you get unlimited pictures of your SO while they're on the webcam.
                  It's especially nice to do when they are yawning, sneezing and making ridiculous faces. You can then go back and add your own lettering and otherwise edit the image so that they can be completely embarassed. Hell, they might even make it their profile picture on facebook if you make it pretty enough....

Comment

Originally posted by LoveL View Post
                    One more thing, don't forget that hitting "PRINT SCREEN" will save a copy of the image of your screen.
                    If you're on a Mac, ctrl+shift+4 and you can snapshot the screen. There are also a number of programs for PC that do this. I'm fairly certain all Windows 7 machines have "Snipping Tool" on them and there's a freeware version of Gadwin: https://www.gadwin.com/download/.

LoveL, I would love to video chat to my SO as much as you guys do... but I work 12+ hour days and he usually ends up working on the weekends. But I agree with you-it is definitely worth doing.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                    Progress: Working on it.

Comment

We talk for hours every night through msn voice call. It would be webcam, but our connection is bad and we freeze all the time, which also makes us sound funny as lot We've always talked for hours in end. Nine hours on average, all day friday (we both have Friday free), all afternoon Saturday until late Sunday morning, and then all day Sunday when we wake up. It's the same every week. It's a bit like a routine, and to me, it makes the days fly by until we can finally meet each other.

Comment

I hadn't skyped with my partner for 5 months before last time, and it has been a month since we have Skyped with cams involved. I can certainly say that going from Skyping every weekend to that did take a toll. We now have a way of talking on Skype while he's in bed (voice only) and it has helped me a LOT. I definitely feel a lot more connected being able to hear/see him, so I do think Skype can do great things for LDRs. It wears on you after a while, not being able to see/receive anything but type from your SO. :P
                        { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
                        Met online: February 2009
                        Feelings confessed: December 2010
                        Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
                        Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
                        First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
                        Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
                        Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
                        Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
                        to be continued...

Comment

We had at least 5 webcam sessions so far

We're not able to do it every often since either of us is busy or too tired to do it.

Joined in 2012. Restarted in 2017!

Comment

My SO does not have Internet. Therefore, we rarely Skype. Maybe once every 3 months he'll be able to go to his dad's house and Skype me but it's rare. It does help our connection though and I highly recommend it, even if it's occasional.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                            Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                            Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                            Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                            Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

My fiance and I Skype four times a week for at least two hours (longer on the weekends). It's the best thing for us since we're international, and calling and texting internationally can get expensive really fast. I love being able to see his fast while we talk. It's nice to know that he's really there, and it helps our relationship a lot. I think it's the best!
                              "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                              Made it official: September 17, 2010
                              Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                              Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                              Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                              Got married: November 21, 2012
                              Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                              Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X