My girl handles the distance better than I do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My girl handles the distance better than I do

So I would definitely say that she misses me but I seem to handle missing her worse. Every day I feel like I miss her a lot and she doesn't really say that she misses me that much or doesn't show it. I'd say i'm pretty emotional for a guy so I guess it's not surprising but I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has this going for them? I feel that as the man I should be the rock and a lot less emotional about missing her and also I can't help but tell her how beautiful she is every single day i see her on skype. I guess i'm also afraid i will push her away by coming on too strong...

I think my SO handled it worse then I did. Nothing wrong with being a guy that has emotions.

Comment

I miss my boy every single day, and I miss him so much too! I don't say it every day though. It's unspoken knowledge really. I tell him when I am feeling it a lot more than normal, or if there are brief moments of silence where I'm left to just think, and I always think about him being here with me, and then I'll say that I miss you. There are moments that we both share together when we're missing each other. Though, I do avoid it when he's upset or depressed already, because it will just make him feel worse. Thomas used to do the same everytime we were on webcam on msn, though we don't go on webcam much anymore because of my internet.

I don't think that you are coming on too strong by telling her that you miss her. But then, I guess it depends on how long you have been together, on how she will view it, and on your relationship over all. I always tell my boy that he is handsome for example, but we also tell each other that we love each other a gazillion times a day! Haha It just really depends on your relationship. I can't really speak for your girlfriend, and I can't really give any more advice other than that because all that you've said is you don't want to tell her that you miss her too much because she doesn't say it very often. Maybe she feels the same though? That she doesn't want to come on too strong? I hope that some of that is a little bit helpful!

Comment

If it helps any, my boyfriend is often sooner to say "I miss you" than I am. It doesn't mean I'm not thinking it, but it's easier for me to pretend the feelings don't exist if I don't speak them out loud. It might not be the healthiest way of coping with the distance, but if I don't dwell on the feelings, then it's a little easier for me to focus on what I love about my partner and our relationship, or it's easier for me to think about the future and how our next visit is manageable and so on. My partner, however, is more likely to say he misses me when he's feeling it. I see nothing wrong with it, and I don't see it as his inability to be the "rock" or whatever. I don't see it as incompetence on his behalf. I actually really appreciate his sensitivity, his ability to be vulnerable, and his honesty with me and himself about his emotions. I think it's a wonderful quality. So I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone handles distance differently, everyone expresses it differently, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
        { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
        Met online: February 2009
        Feelings confessed: December 2010
        Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
        Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
        First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
        Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
        Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
        Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
        to be continued...

Comment

Thanks for the replys
          I know she definitely misses me and cares just as much about me as I do for her. I would consider myself to be a more open and emotional guy than usual so I guess it makes sense. I'm not really scared of pushing her away either, I guess I just wanted to hear it from others. It gets hard sometimes and helps to know and hear others that are going through the same thing. Thanks

I know I need to also get a lot busier than I am since right now too much of my time is just sitting at home or talking to her. Activities I'm sure help

Comment

Originally posted by Forca View Post
            I know I need to also get a lot busier than I am since right now too much of my time is just sitting at home or talking to her. Activities I'm sure help
            Yes. This. While I agree it's important to feel and process your feelings, I also think that it's healthy and important to have other things that you enjoy doing as well. When my partner's mother passed away, I almost made it my obligation to be there 24/7, even when he didn't have access to the internet; the mere chance that he'd get online was enough to glue me to my computer. I was miserable, and so I made up my mind to take care of myself. I enrolled in classes for kickboxing and yoga and through kickboxing, found something I absolutely love and enjoy doing once or twice weekly! I love yoga, as well, and I'll be getting back into the habit of jogging this quarter, in addition to working and school. Finding something you enjoy to keep you busy not only helps keep your mind off things but it also sort of helps put the fact you also have an independent life to take care of into perspective. It can be really easy to set yourself aside in LDRs, but I honestly think that relationships improve when both partners are steadily taking care of themselves. Perhaps you could look into community classes or get back into something you used to really enjoy doing?
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
            Met online: February 2009
            Feelings confessed: December 2010
            Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
            Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
            First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
            Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
            Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
            Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
            to be continued...

Comment

Just stay busy man, improve yourself. That will help the relationship a lot more once you two are unified!

Comment

Working...
              X