Facebook- destroyer of relationships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook- destroyer of relationships?

I read an article once that said something along the lines of: now-a-days Facebook related issues are cited in 30% of divorce cases (something like that. My percentage is likely off but you get the idea). Well, I thought I should post about Facebook in LDRs. And my experience since it’s apparently a growing epidemic amongst LDRs and CDRs alike.

My SO had a Facebook account for a few years before I ever came along. I, on the other hand, did not create one until the summer after high school graduation— I figured it was a good way of staying in contact with friends even though we were all going our separate ways to college. Well, up until then (for about 7 months prior) I had been sharing my SO's account with him. I had a security reason for not creating one of my own before the time that I did (past restraining order against an ex and didn’t want to be traceable on the internet). So, he was generous enough to allow me access to his so I could get the hang of the technology and communicate with friends and classmates for group projects etc.

That was all fine.

Well, since I created my account right after high school it was also right before we entered the LD aspect of our relationship; which naturally puts a large strain on things. We found that our accounts were sparking many fights between us. We were getting jealous about how many people of the opposite sex the other was adding. We were getting upset over pictures being posted, “friends’” posting on one another’s “walls” etc. was all adding fire to our new flame of doubt and insecurity cast by the new distance between us. It was immature and all based on our lacking communication and trust.

We let this go on for about 1.75 years (unfortunately) of our LDR before I finally told him I thought we should delete our accounts—together. I had tried to break the notorious Facebook addiction many times myself but always found myself reactivating as doubt crept back into my mind due to the fact that his account was still active. OR since I had access to his account, I would just log in to his—completely defeating the purpose of deleting my account. He, surprisingly, agreed readily to deleting it. He said he rarely used it anymore and only to keep in touch for work related activities.

We deleted our accounts towards the beginning of March. I don’t think he has reactivated at any point. I have, maybe twice, to retrieve pictures but then I deactivated (and he knew when I did). It sucks having all your pictures stored that way basically! Anyways, I found that deleting them together allowed me to break the addiction. It was something I just couldn’t do alone. And honestly, it was affecting OUR relationship so greatly in such a negative way it only made sense for us to both cut the cord.

I found it unspeakably supportive when he was willing to make the break together. I thought it spoke volumes to our dedication to making our relationship better and healthier. And it has. We don’t have petty arguments over stupid insecurities nearly as much as before… It’s really obsolete. He agrees it has helped our relationship tremendously. I know it has helped my school work! Less ability to procrastinate! What had kept me from suggesting it before for so long was I didn’t want to be seen as trying to cut contact between him and his friends and I also didn’t want to give that up myself, but I realized if someone is in my life they have my phone number and other means of contacting me. I don’t need Facebook to maintain my list of acquaintances guised as “friends” and I don’t need “relationship statuses” looking me in the face every time we get in an argument. I don’t need people who know nothing about my relationship thinking they have a right to pass judgment on it and gossip about it. But when you have a Facebook account and make it visible to them, you can’t point fingers. You put it up someone will look!

I just wanted to say, that for me and my LDR it was one of the best decisions we made—to delete our Facebook accounts together. It eliminates a lot of miscommunications and unnecessary doubts in LDRs that can be created by a mere photo post or comment or status update. It cuts down on the jealousy factor for me at least. I am quite the green-eyed-monster… And besides all those relationship pros, it makes me more productive overall in school and work. I also don’t have to be exposed to immature gossip or people plastering their opinions where they’re not asked for! I guess overall, I’ve just outgrown the whole concept and it’s been all to the benefit of my relationship.

I suggest you give it a try too if you find yourself experiencing the all too common relationship issues exacerbated by the advent of Facebook!

I think Facebook is only an issue if you make it an issue. It's not the root of the problem, only an aide. That's all I'm gonna say on this.

Comment

We really don't center our relationship on Facebook... I use it to communicate (mostly) with my friends and family members. He rarely does anything on Facebook (like he doesn't post things or pictures, he mostly just sees what everyone's up to) so he doesn't attract much attention. Like Zapookie said, I think it's really only a huge problem if you make it a problem. I think you were smart in both deactivating you accounts if they were causing friction in the relationship. So glad he agreed!

Comment

We've had this topic before, actually more than once, and I agree with Zapookie.

I don't believe even for a second that facebook is the issue at hand, it's only the medium that makes your issues visible.
        The problem is not adding people from the different sex or friends posting comments, the problem is getting jealous over trivial things like that. Deleting facebook takes away the medium and makes your issues invisible, but it doesn't make them disappear. Facebook isn't the issue, unreasonable jealousy is. I'm convinced that all those divorces that are blamed on facebook would have happened without it as well. If someone finds out about their spouse cheating through facebook, then they broke up because of unfaithfulness, not because of facebook.

I don't really understand how facebook can create issues? That's like saying e-mails or telephones create issues. I mean... maybe they do, but I guess I don't understand how exactly.
        I like facebook since it offers a really easy convenient way to stay in touch with people, know what's happening in their life and let them know what's going on in yours. There's a lot of interesting things I would never have found out about without facebook. I like to see my friends' photos and I like to show off mine I don't know how me or my boyfriend communicating with our friends can be an issue in our relationship.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapookie View Post
          I think Facebook is only an issue if you make it an issue. It's not the root of the problem, only an aide. That's all I'm gonna say on this.
          So much this.
          ♥ Erika & Thomas ♥
          ♥ Est. January 13, 2011 ♥ Became LDR July 1, 2011 ♥ Christmas visit December 24 - 29, 2011 ♥ Closed the distance June 2, 2012 ♥

♪ Cause with you I'd withstand all of it to hold your hand ♫

Comment

I agree with Zapookie too. However, if you guys found that deactivating your accounts together helped you that's fine; different things work for different couples. I don't have Facebook but my SO does. I don't question who he speaks to or what he says on there, it's his business. I know he'd never give me his password, not because he has anything to hide but because he values his privacy, and I trust him so I respect that.

Comment

Originally posted by lademoiselle View Post
              I agree with Zapookie too. However, if you guys found that deactivating your accounts together helped you that's fine; different things work for different couples. I don't have Facebook but my SO does. I don't question who he speaks to or what he says on there, it's his business. I know he'd never give me his password, not because he has anything to hide but because he values his privacy, and I trust him so I respect that.
              I have been in a similar situation, but opposite (I had an account, he didn't.), but he never questioned what I did on there, he had no reason to. And anything I may do that would seem suspect (like I ended up adding my sorta kinda ex after I had learned through a mutual friend he wanted to rekindle our friendship that had been ruined by my feelings for him - that are no longer there since I'm with my SO - getting in the way), I was up front about it and told him because I have nothing to hide.
              ♥ Erika & Thomas ♥
              ♥ Est. January 13, 2011 ♥ Became LDR July 1, 2011 ♥ Christmas visit December 24 - 29, 2011 ♥ Closed the distance June 2, 2012 ♥

♪ Cause with you I'd withstand all of it to hold your hand ♫

Comment

Originally posted by Zapookie View Post
                I too agree with Zapookie. I've had facebook since the day I started college. My SO has as well. We've never had problems about who and what people post on our wall because the person has no control of what someone else posts on their wall. So what if some girl tries to internet flirt with my boyfriend? I know that I'M the one he wants, not her. She can flirt all she wants. I trust him
                "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

I do agree that facebook feeds certain problems or insecurities. In my nature lays a lot of insecurity and that's why I get quite jealous sometimes. I know this and that is not my boyfriends fault at all, it is mine. The only problem is when you are in a LDR and you miss someone, facebook is a very easy way to keep in touch and read into things way too much. The nature of the problem is most likely insecurity, but facebook is something that can feed your insecurity...so if you are both insecure, i think it will help to delete a facebook account if you can. But recognising the nature of the problem, which is fed by facebook, is probably the first step

Comment

Facebook can be a problem if you let it be. It allows the temptation of looking through your SO's friends and conversations with them, which can lead to mis-understandings and jealously where there needn't be any.

I can't really speak of facebook as a benefit, as my SO doesn't use it a whole lot, but I'm sure he gets some benefit of seeing images that I post from places that I've been. Yes I've looked through his friends in the past and seen his ex girlfriend from high school. But that was so long ago, and it's facebook. I know people that have hundreds and hundreds of friends. I'm not even sure I know that many people. I even have friends on there that aren't really friends, they're people I met at Uni or school etc but never really spoke to.

Facebook is a tool, and I think how it effects your relationship is really a matter of how you use and react to it.
                    Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
                    First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

From Zapookie:
                      This.

I was dating a guy before, he had like 100000 friends on Facebook.
                      Thing is, he would go out in a bar or a rave and after the event he would add just about anyone he had met (boys and girls).
                      And as time passed, I would log on my FB and see updates from his wall.
                      And I was seeing more and more pictures of him drunk or high with girlS ( yes there is a 'S ' to 'girlS).
                      And was seeing comments from girls saying how cool the night was and such.

It did spark many many discussions.
                      We talked a lot and he said Facebook is hell and a tool only to break couples.

BUT! The real issues was....
                      He was spending times in bars and raves cheating on me.

Facebook wasn't the issue, him cheating and hanging out in bars and raves and not being home with his gf.
                      That was the problem

I'm actually happy I saw all the pics and comments on his FB.
                      Made me realize how big of a fool I was
                      ♡ ~~~~ 'When you find something worth fighting for, you never give up' ~~~~ ♡

Comment

Facebook has never caused any trouble between me and my SO.
                        I agree with Zapookie.

Comment

People take Facebook entirely too seriously. I use mine for keeping up with friends and family, not drama, and I don't mistake it for real life and my boyfriend is the same way. It's not Facebook's fault someone chooses to accept a friend request from an old flame, and then decides to spend all night "catching up" on chat. It might make it easier to do things we know we shouldn't, but ultimately, we are responsible for our own actions, not some dumb website.

I don't scrutinize my guys (small) friends list, I trust him. I don't analyze every word, sentence structure, and hidden grammar messages in the notes he gets. If someone posts "Hey, it was good running into you last week", I don't assume it was in a hotel room. While I do agree that FB IS a relationship killer, it's because people make it into one either by their own bad behavior, or overactive imagination.

Thanks for the advice, but I won't be deleting my account, instead I'll just behave myself and enjoy everyone else's drama vicariously
                          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm on facebook pretty regularly, sometimes too much. My SO looks at it maybe once a day, but that's about it. It's never been a problem for us. I think it takes a pretty insecure person to get in a hissy fit about their partner "liking" or "commenting" on a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                              I'm on facebook pretty regularly, sometimes too much. My SO looks at it maybe once a day, but that's about it. It's never been a problem for us. I think it takes a pretty insecure person to get in a hissy fit about their partner "liking" or "commenting" on a picture.
                              This exactly. Except my SO goes on probably even less than that. Sometimes he makes fun of my addiction but in a teasing way so it's okay.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                              Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                              Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                              Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                              Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

Working...
                              X