Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does and hour away count as long distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I consider it long distance, but thats not up to me Do U think it's long distance?
    sigpic
    Not to get clever
    but with you I see forever
    But whatever it is,
    Here's to you,
    I Love You Kid...

Comment

Originally posted by lonelyinlove View Post
      I consider it long distance, but thats not up to me Do U think it's long distance?
      I would as well. My best friend lived in Phoenix for a year a few years ago, and her boyfriend stayed here in Tucson. Tucson to Phoenix is, at most in traffic, a two hour drive. You can easily do it in an hour or so if you wanted to. I considered them in an LDR for that year.
      ♥ Erika & Thomas ♥
      ♥ Est. January 13, 2011 ♥ Became LDR July 1, 2011 ♥ Christmas visit December 24 - 29, 2011 ♥ Closed the distance June 2, 2012 ♥

♪ Cause with you I'd withstand all of it to hold your hand ♫

Comment

Personally, if it was me, I wouldn't consider it LD because for me it takes an hour to get into town every day. I reckon that if you live in the same city/town then it doesn't really count as LD but if you were to live say two cities/towns apart and it took an hour to see them, then I would probably consider it LD
        No time zone or distance or anything can keep us apart

Comment

That really depends. For example, if you have two people who live an hour away by car but live somewhere without public transportation and neither can drive for what-ever reason, then yes, that is definately long distance. I think the defining difference is if you can pick up and go at any time, without any advanced warning.

If both people have reliable access to cars or transportation, then its a toss up. I can easily spend and hour and a half one way getting to class in the morning, so spending an hour in the car has never seemed that far to me. However, one hour by car can be like 3 hours by public transportation, which would be significantly more troublesome. I'm not sure its always about the distance exactly, but more about the mode of transportation getting you there and the cost to accomplish it. (i.e. planes are expensive, trains can be depending on where you're going, busses take forever, transfers, etc.)

The answer is their is no definition, like others have said. If it feels long distance, then it is

Comment

It depends the situation. If you're both living on your own with cars and visiting like multiple times a week, probably not long distance.

My SO and I were a hour apart but her mum won't let her stay with me overnight and it was a 2 and a half hour bus ride to go see her so... :P

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCat View Post
              For me, an hour isn't long distance. Two of my closest friends live at least an hour away from me and we catch up pretty often. In fact, I have to travel for at least 40 minutes to see any of my close friends :P I suppose I'm just used to the travelling though and it doesn't phase me. But as others have said, it really is subjective.

I was also nervous on my first meeting, I'm sure it will go well though.
              ^ same with me, I'm actually going to go visit one of my friends who lives an hour away on thursday. I usually just go for a few hours when I visit her too, an hour isn't much to me in the car or on public transport as it takes me an hour on the public transport to get into the CBD of my city.

I really wouldn't consider an hour long distance. I know a lot of people are saying it's subjective.. But I don't really agree (sorry! ) It takes me an hour to JUST get to the airport to start my journey to my SO.. and that's nothing.

the fact is, in the event of an emergency or if something happened.. you could get to him super quick, you could have someone drive you or drive yourself, catch a bus.. Also the price it costs to get an hour is not very much.

I know I personally am in an extreme situation but it takes 23 hours flying time on the quickest route to him, that doesn't count the hour to get to my local airport, the wait at the airport or the journey to his house from London. Even just on the train tube in London you could spend hours getting from one end of London to the other and not even see daylight even though you're in the same city.
              Met Online: February 2009
              Feelings grew: January 2011
              First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
              Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
              Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
              Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
              Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
              Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
              Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
              Engaged: 1st of July 2012
              Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
              Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012