Favourite Thing About Where Your SO Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Thing About Where Your SO Lives

Needless to say, being in LDRs, we all do a good amount of travelling. You've probably been to your SO's town or city and seen some of the great things about it.

What's your favourite thing about where your SO lives?

I love the smell of Georgia. It has this lingering scent of pine, and the air always smells so fresh, even in Atlanta. I'll never get over that smell. There must be a ton of smog where I am because everywhere I've been in Georgia smells like what it does here when you get out into the mountains.

My SO lives in Georgia too! (Well, for the time being.) Have you been to the Atlanta Aquarium? If you haven't, it's a definite must-see.

He's considering moving home to Indiana, though, and honestly the thing I love most about Indiana is the fact that it snows. I haven't seen any snow this year, and it's made me sad.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

Comment

My SO lives in a very small town, but from what he's told me it's very woodsy and cool. I'll probably be going this summer.
      And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Comment

Well I live here now too

But anyways, I love the cheap avocados. I love that the most delicious mangoes you've ever had fall off the trees! (seriously, I pick up a few every day from work) I love how green everything is. I love patacones and platanito chips. I love the language and I love the public transport (even though roads, road safety and traffic laws seem to be irrelevant). I love that I can be at a beach, on a mountain, rafting down a river or at the crater of a volcano in 2 hours. I love that I see green parrots fly over me as I go on my walks. I love that I've seen red macaws,toucans and sloths on numerous occasions. I love the clicking noise the geckos make at night. I love that the rain cools down the hot afternoons. I love eating rice and beans at every meal. And most of all, I love being with my SO.

Comment

My fiance lives in England. I love going into town or anywhere really and seeing buildings that are older than my whole country! I went into a cathedral once, and I realized that it was built hundreds of years before Christopher Columbus even thought of coming to America. It blows my mind every time. I love that you can touch history every day. I love it.
          "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
          Made it official: September 17, 2010
          Got engaged: January 15, 2012
          Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
          Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
          Got married: November 21, 2012
          Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
          Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
            My SO lives in Georgia too! (Well, for the time being.) Have you been to the Atlanta Aquarium? If you haven't, it's a definite must-see.
            We made plans to go there on our first visit together after doing the Coke museum, as we thought the Titanic exhibit was still up there. When the lady said, "Naw, I don't know nothin' about a Titanic exhibit, but we do got one about frogs..." we decided to pass on it. As interesting as frogs are....
            What's in it that's awesome?

Comment

Originally posted by LoveJ View Post
              We made plans to go there on our first visit together after doing the Coke museum, as we thought the Titanic exhibit was still up there. When the lady said, "Naw, I don't know nothin' about a Titanic exhibit, but we do got one about frogs..." we decided to pass on it. As interesting as frogs are....
              What's in it that's awesome?
              Atlanta aquarium is like the best one in the USA!! They have a freaking whale shark!

(I've never been but I really want to go!)

Comment

Originally posted by princessmeg1328 View Post
                My fiance lives in England.
                My SO is also from England (although I don't get to call him "my fiance".. you lucky thing )

I love browsing the shops in his town and hearing the local women/shop keepers talking, their accents and the way they talk to each other is a lot more noticeable to me than when I'm in Aus. I do love shopping there too, I always manage to get some great end of season clothes at such cheap prices (like £10 for a dress!).

I love the fact that I am in his country and he can take charge in knowing where to go and what to do and take really good care of me (he does in aus too but it'll take him awhile to be confident here I think ). Mostly I just love to be there with him and to be/see where he lives and has grown up.
                Met Online: February 2009
                Feelings grew: January 2011
                First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
                Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
                Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
                Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
                Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
                Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
                Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
                Engaged: 1st of July 2012
                Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
                Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
                Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
                Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
                Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
                Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                  Atlanta aquarium is like the best one in the USA!! They have a freaking whale shark!

(I've never been but I really want to go!)
                  They actually have 4 whale sharks. The ATL Aquarium has the biggest tank in the world. It's something absurd like, 6 million gallons. It's my favorite tank-by far. I love the penguin tunnel (it's really fun to stick your head up and be right next to penguins!!) too.

I also highly recommend the ATL Botanical Gardens. There's always something to see, and their orchid display is always fantastic. During the summer months they even have cocktails in the garden with live music-I would looove to do that.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                  Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                  Progress: Working on it.

Comment

My bf lives in London... lots of amazing things about it but I think what I like the most are pubs. Just awesome English pub setting with delicious food and ale.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Malaga View Post
                      My bf lives in London... lots of amazing things about it but I think what I like the most are pubs. Just awesome English pub setting with delicious food and ale.
                      Haha, it's funny because to me as a Londoner that's one of the most ordinary things in the world!

As for where my SO lives, well, it's Paris! I love the architecture, the history, the cobbled streets and cafe culture... as a city it has the most incredible atmosphere. One of my favourite things though (and I'm going to sound so greedy saying this) is that you can find a patisserie on pretty much every corner. As far as I'm concerned you haven't lived until you've tried French pastries - spending my first extended weekend in Paris with an obliging SO, I thought I'd died and gone to cake heaven

Comment

Well of course, the fact that my SO is there kinda makes the place for me

It's Tampa. Honestly, I'm not really a big city girl, but I think what I like most about the place is the university. The university is probably the nicest thing about that area of Tampa. That and one of my other friends lives there, too. I'll probably find more to like about it when I move there. As it is, I've spent most of my time there in his house.

Comment

My SO lives in rural Nicaragua and I love how we can just be sitting on the porch and when I mention to him that I want some coconut juice, he will get up, grab his machete, climb up a tree right next to the house, and chop down a coconut for me. Then he will use the same machete to cut the coconut open, making it perfect to drink from

I also love that 'adios' is used as a greeting and you actually sit down and chat with your neighbors (not the case in NYC!)

Comment

I love the people and the sense of community. I love how you can talk to anyone, any stranger, and call them your cousin or brother or father. I love how people look out for each other. I love the delicious and cheap mangoes. I love the crazy rainstorms. I love the multitude of languages and the colorful, descriptive phrasing. I love the three rounds of tea and the groups of men that sit outside all evening/night drinking tea and talking. I love going to outdoor, neighborhood markets to buy my food rather than the giant supermarkets I used to go to in the USA. I love how I feel more comfortable here in my body than in my home country, I don't think I've ever heard the word "diet" here. I love the starry night skies.

Oh crap...I think I was supposed to name only one thing!

Comment

The people. I have to say that Dubliners, though some have the typical big city feel (then again, when I go to San Francisco, I get it there too), are the friendliest Europeans I have met. I'll admit I was nervous, given that my boyfriend said a lot of them hate Americans for no reason, but they honestly treated me like one of the locals, even after I had spoken up! I love the zoo. It has a lot of neat animals, baby ones too!, and they're all very active. I'm not sure if it's the weather or what but here in California, the animals always seem lazy and depressed; in Dublin, they actually acted like animals both times we went. The weather is an adventure even if I do miss my California sun, but it's absolutely gorgeous. Getting out of the city and travelling to Bray or Howth or to the countryside, man. It is so marvelous and breathtaking.

What he loved here was the ocean, the fact that we have woods, the ocean, the city, and the country all within driving distance, and the sense of community. He felt that where I lived specifically was small enough that the small town community existed, but large enough that it lacked the small town feel. There was enough to do here to keep him occupied and close enough to the city, but it was far enough away to avoid being at the heart of the city as well. He liked that everyone here is also so liberal, wacky, and progressive. Good thing, too, because even if I had to move to Dub for a while, I don't think I could stay away from my hippie beach town forever. He also liked that everyone here was super friendly, even if their forwardness with it (people here treat you like they've known you forever even if they've only met you once) made him shy and unsure of how to react at times. xD
                              { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
                              Met online: February 2009
                              Feelings confessed: December 2010
                              Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
                              Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
                              First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
                              Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
                              Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
                              Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
                              to be continued...

Comment

Working...
                              X