I Got my Answer: Now I am Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Got my Answer: Now I am Confused

This is an update on my other thread ("Now He Might Put an Ocean Between Us!?").

Last night, we talked and it seemed like a normal day. He let me ramble on about all the silly things that happened at work and then when it was his turn he had the usual report about his job. However, I could tell from the tone in his text the night before and the tone of his voice on the phone that something was up. He said "I guess we should talk about the interview I had." Then, my phone lost its battery charge. D:

When he phoned back, he said that they had offered him the job in Amsterdam and he was likely going to take it. Well, instead of having the adult conversation I had hoped we would have, I was so angry and the more he stayed silent or gave me processed answers, the angrier I got. My first response was, "So, I guess this is it, then." I started to put words in his mouth.

Anyway, I am so tired and feel so ill and sad, but I am also extremely confused. In the space of one conversation, he said he still loved me and then that he didn't feel that way any more, and then later that he did still love me but also was torn and wanted to pursue the opportunity. He said that the job is the catalyst, but that one of his big dreams has always (apparently) been to live in Amsterdam (so many things were really just all about him thinking about him); I helped open his mind to other options and possibilities and how they could be good, also. That's where things were left at the end. I had eventually calmed down and we discussed how we both had not seen each other lately and we had come into a bit of a rut when we were talking on the phone (too surface level and too much about work and problems) and that that wasn't a good reason to feel differently about a person. We talked about a lot of things (we should have been talking about all along), I guess, and near the end of the conversation, I even had us laughing (different from the shouting/ crying/ freeze out of earlier) and giving him calm and rational reasons why making a different choice can be something he won't regret or resent. I also talked about long-term adult relationships and how he, himself, had called this a "partnership." Yes, I can't make this decision for him, but I certainly should be in on big stuff like this and be able to offer my opinion.

I got him thinking and he went away (neither of us were ready to hang up the phone) agreeing that he would think about what he wants out of our relationship and the decision in front of him in as a non-biased way as possible. Since I have a really busy night on Fridays, we agreed that we would talk more about it on Saturday. Yet, now I can't think about anything else and worry that it just might be more of the same on Saturday (you see, the job offer is for a year, but they really want people to sign on who want to build a permanent career. We're talking he could be there forever).

I am holding out a little bit of hope; do you think there is a possibility that a resolution I would like to see or one that would be a compromise would come about?
    Also, if one of those resolutions are met, how do we recover from some of the hurtful things and actions taken recently? (e.g., the cold way he approached the topic, him saying he doesn't love me and changing his mind, etc.)

I don't feel like things are ready to end between us romantically; we haven't even been able to try and see if CDR could work. Aside from all that, also, we have been each other's best friends and talk almost every night...I'm also very isolated right now. It would be so hard to lose him as a friend, but I couldn't bear continuing just a friendship while he goes off on his prodigal adventures and likely meets another girl.

Ah...I just want to wallow in misery and never get out of bed, but I guess a good way to distract myself is to keep busy.
    Last edited by Lunar Snow; May 11, 2012, 08:16 PM.

When did he give the clarification when it came to his feelings? It's possible that he's feeling really conflicted between his career and his relationship, and if this is truly the opportunity that he's been waiting for, or if it's something that opens the door for him to pursue a dream/ultimate goal of his, perhaps it's easier for him to snap and say he's changed his mind about his feelings for you? I'm not sure. Sometimes people say stupid things, especially when hurt and especially when fighting. If he retracted his "I love you" and said his feelings had changed while you two were civil, then I can see where that might be cause for concern. If he came back later and said he didn't mean it, I would try my best not to dwell on it, much as it would hurt.

I don't have much time to respond currently, but I was hoping to get clarification on what he said/that part of your thread.
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Comment

Hi, thanks for responding. I was going to get out of bed, but I started creeping his Facebook and feeling sad that no more good times would happen...so I am glad you gave me a boot!

Near the beginning of the "conversation" he was freezing up and getting quiet and the more he did that, the angrier I was. I said I had stuff I wanted to talk about and what was the point now, etc. Self-defeating things, I guess. I was really like a firing squad and I again asked if he loved me or not and told him to "just answer." He said he didn't love me any more. I asked why and he said that he felt we had different goals, since before the interview I had indicated that I wanted to start putting roots down where I was and that stuff had happened so quickly with the job. We were both really upset, though, at that point I did say that it was natural that our goals wouldn't magically be identical and that goals didn't define a person. Anyway, sorry...it goes on and kind of feeds into us talking about how we were in a bit of a rut and hadn't seen each other and he thought it was that too, but then went back to the thing about goals (the "rut" that I mention in my first post, where we resolved things a little more came later. So, it was mentioned several times...but this first time was still when we were both in angry mode). Later, when we both calmed down and I was giving him space to talk and I was being very rational in presenting my ideas, he said that this was the "real" us and agreed that it felt so comfortable and natural and he took back what he had said and said that he does love me. (Sorry if this comment is lacking punctuation and I hope it is enough detail...my laptop is running out of batteries and I can't charge it right now with the little bunny in the room to munch the cord).

I would love to hear more of your thoughts when you are able. What you summarized there, in your second sentence, is a pretty good summary of how he expressed things at the end of the conversation (and I also inferred and said to him that he was trying to convince himself that the career option was better, but really hadn't thoughtfully explored other options or considered us enough) .
      Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
      When did he give the clarification when it came to his feelings? It's possible that he's feeling really conflicted between his career and his relationship, and if this is truly the opportunity that he's been waiting for, or if it's something that opens the door for him to pursue a dream/ultimate goal of his, perhaps it's easier for him to snap and say he's changed his mind about his feelings for you? I'm not sure. Sometimes people say stupid things, especially when hurt and especially when fighting. If he retracted his "I love you" and said his feelings had changed while you two were civil, then I can see where that might be cause for concern. If he came back later and said he didn't mean it, I would try my best not to dwell on it, much as it would hurt.

I don't have much time to respond currently, but I was hoping to get clarification on what he said/that part of your thread.
      Last edited by Lunar Snow; May 11, 2012, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Hi hon!

So, I've been following your thread for the past couple of days, and I'm not sure if what I'm going to say will be of any help, but these are just my thoughts, and I wish you the best of luck (and happiness) in figuring this whole situation out.

I think you've already recognized that he seems to be conflicted between his career and his relationship. The thing is, when he went into this job interview (before he flew out to Amsterdam), it sounds like he thought both of these constituents were aligned. Obviously, for you, they were not (and rightly so, due to lack of communication). To me, this seems to be a problem of goal misperception and misunderstanding, but I do think it can be cleared up if both of you continue to reflect and clearly state what you want out of this relationship and the future.

Regarding your most recent conversation, I wouldn't take the, "I don't love you" too seriously, because it sounded like the whole conversation was a rapid-fire of the first thoughts that popped into your head, and those can be said in the heat of momentary frustration. I think it is crucially important, though, that you write all your thoughts down in one place, and him, too, if he's up for it, and maybe email them to each other so all of your thoughts are condensed, and you can understand them and not have to worry about saying the wrong thing? Just a suggestion, but writing always helps me figure things out.

I believe you two still love each other, and want to be together, but maybe it would help to try to see things from the other's perspective. You shouldn't have to sacrifice all of your wants and needs, especially ones that are deal-breakers, so that he can be the only one to pursue his dreams. However, I do think it comes down to the question of, can you truly, truly see yourself with this man, regardless of location, time, place, or responsibilities? Would you do anything to be together? Are roots more important than being together (if the situation comes down to that)?

I know the Amsterdam situation is still hypothetical, since he still has his current job, and he doesn't need to accept this job in Amsterdam. However, if it's something that's so vitally important for him, that he's even considering a future there, that's some pretty serious business. I'd really, really take some time for yourself, to figure out if you're willing to be with him there, because it sounds like he's pretty set on this. I think the most important thing you can do, as his girlfriend, is be there for him, but don't compromise your own feelings. I know I have a hard time doing that, speaking up and being completely honest about my emotions, in fear of hurting my SO's feelings, but I've never regretted a single time that I have. In fact, it's only brought us closer, and made us more honest with each other. There's a reason "Honesty is the best policy" is a cliche! :P

My heart aches for you, because I can't imagine having the past couple of years suddenly reach a crisis point because of a hypothetical job opportunity. Don't compromise yourself, but don't compromise your relationship because of fear, either.

I wish you the best, sweetheart, and let us know how it goes! Feel free to PM me if you need to talk more.
        "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

Really good responses so far so I'll just add my little bit. I honestly feel for you, I really do. It's difficult when you feel like your coming second to a career choice especially if perhaps you, like me, are more of a person who leads with their heart. My SO has extended the amount of time that he will be away for by an extra 4 months so that he can further advance his career. He didn't have to do this he chose to and to be quite honest I was furious when he told me he was going to! I had believed that he would try and shorten the time apart not extend it so like you I felt pretty upset. It took me a month to even be calm enough to not cry when speaking about it but after talking to him I now fully support him. Like your SO situation, him working away is a brilliant career move and something he always wanted to do, the extra four months just means he can fully experience everything he wants to do. So basically you seem to be in a similar ish situation, it's up to you if you can support him and stand extending the LDR, I guess you'll also have to think about relocation and don't forget to think of your own interests. Dont do anything that will lead to resentment on either side, sacrifices have to happen in relationships but keep priorities and never do something that you will regret and blame the other. If you can try and see it from his point, it certainly helped me understand and kept us together (I was going to break up with him I just didn't know how to). Bit of a rambling post- its late! But I hope it helps!

Comment

Thank you both so much for your comments--they were sincere, empathetic, and descriptive. I feel so upset about this issue right now that it is hard to formulate my thoughts. I am thinking of making another follow up thread and I have been losing sleep over this whole thing, so it's difficult for me to elaborate right now.

I guess I have a lot to think about.

P.S., I might just take you up on that PM

Comment

Working...
            X