He doesn't like ANYTHING!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He doesn't like ANYTHING!

So if some of you know my little issue that ensued with my communication problem with my SO, he's done with his freshman year in college and has been able to talk a little more.

But I figured something out about him
    He hates texting. I'm basically the only one he ever texts (which is kind of comforting) but he doesn't like to talk on the phone either. The only thing he likes to do is either chat (like Facebook or MSN, etc) which is difficult because he's never ONLINE, and Skype calling, which we haven't been able to do in two months. And his last is talking in person (believe me he LOVES to talk in person). I could literally listen to him talk for hours, he has such a way with words.

But how the heck does he expect us to communicate if he doesn't even like certain forms of communication? Oi, he's a mess. At least he texts me I guess...I just wish I could talk to him more.
    And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

There's this nifty little app (I don't know what kind of phone you have) called HeyTell and it's like a walkie-talkie. It's super fun and it's a free download, too. You could look into that.

Comment

Why not tell him that you need to hear from him more then 140 characters at a time. I would not be able to handle a relationship via text for two months. Talk to him again if you already have and say if he wants this to work then he needs to help meet your needs and he needs to suck it up and use the phone once and a while.

Comment

Oi is right! Boys... I know the feeling. My SO hates talking on the phone, no idea why. But he'll put up with it to talk to me. Maybe you need to remind him that you have limited ways to communicate? I don't know what else to tell you, but I hope you are able to figure something out that works for you two.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I'm actually kind of like your SO. My boyfriend's really the only person I text, and I hate talking on the phone. I don't know why...I think I'm just better at face-to-face communication. Which is why I make the effort to Skype with him at least a couple times a week. And the nice thing about Skype is that when conversation does lag, we can fill the time by sharing videos, pictures, etc. while still enjoying each other's company.

Is there some physical reason you guys aren't able to Skype more often - lack of a webcam or something? If that's the problem, it can be easily solved. If it's a matter of finding the time - well, that's what a relationship is!

I don't have any other advice besides what others have said - just tell him (again, if necessary) that you need more communication.

Comment

Originally posted by kirbycat View Post
            I'm actually kind of like your SO. My boyfriend's really the only person I text, and I hate talking on the phone. I don't know why...I think I'm just better at face-to-face communication. Which is why I make the effort to Skype with him at least a couple times a week. And the nice thing about Skype is that when conversation does lag, we can fill the time by sharing videos, pictures, etc. while still enjoying each other's company.

Is there some physical reason you guys aren't able to Skype more often - lack of a webcam or something? If that's the problem, it can be easily solved. If it's a matter of finding the time - well, that's what a relationship is!

I don't have any other advice besides what others have said - just tell him (again, if necessary) that you need more communication.
            Sometimes we just don't think about Skyping. He's been really sick, and now he's going to have his wisdom teeth removed soon so he's going to be in a lot of pain so I'd rather not make him talk more than necessary. There always seems to be something keeping us from Skyping. Both of us have webcams, that's no problem.
            And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Comment

Originally posted by BlackRoseOpal View Post
              Sometimes we just don't think about Skyping. He's been really sick, and now he's going to have his wisdom teeth removed soon so he's going to be in a lot of pain so I'd rather not make him talk more than necessary. There always seems to be something keeping us from Skyping. Both of us have webcams, that's no problem.
              This isn't really a solution to the underlying problem, but I bed he'd love it if you still Skype with him after his surgery, just to keep him company while he recovers - read him a book, tell him funny stories, play games together online that don't require talking...whatever he might enjoy.

I think all you really need is a little creativity. And hopefully a little creativity and dedication from him, too, to find ways to communicate.

Comment

Originally posted by kirbycat View Post
                This isn't really a solution to the underlying problem, but I bed he'd love it if you still Skype with him after his surgery, just to keep him company while he recovers - read him a book, tell him funny stories, play games together online that don't require talking...whatever he might enjoy.

I think all you really need is a little creativity. And hopefully a little creativity and dedication from him, too, to find ways to communicate.
                I agree with this.

I also feel like you need to be a bit forward with him. It's not fair he's keeping you hanging via short text exchanges simply because he doesn't like the methods of contact that are available. If he doesn't like to use the phone or text, then he needs to make more time to talk to you online or on Skype. If he doesn't want to go to the effort of making the time, then he needs to think about using the alternative forms of communication. It's not fair that he puts you in a bind for his own reasons that he should, quite frankly, be willing to get over. :/

That being said, with being sick + the issue of wisdom teeth, I'd definitely heed kirbycat's advice. I remember getting my wisdom teeth out (had four). It was awful. :P One of my friends went to the effort of camming with me and keeping me company, and I loved it. It made the actual pain of getting them out that much more bearable.
                { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
                Met online: February 2009
                Feelings confessed: December 2010
                Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
                Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
                First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
                Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
                Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
                Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
                to be continued...

Comment

I understand what you're going through. My SO is the same way albeit to a lesser degree. How I've made it better is scheduling time with him to talk online. I text a few hours before and ask "skype tonight?" That usually gives him time to either clear his schedule or tell me he can't. He typically promises a date in the near future for a rain check such as tomorrow or in a couple of days. I also asked him just to text me every now and then and let me know what he's up to. Sometimes we only send 2 texts each in a day and sometimes we have a long ongoing conversation, but I always here from him.

Comment

Working...
                  X