Should I feel bad or flattered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I feel bad or flattered?

I'm leaning towards flattered and excited. My SO and I haven't been dating for very long but we have known each other for years and it is so right. He is in Australia and I am in USA. He is planning to come here for a road trip with me before I move back to Australia in August. I am so excited to see him and I know he is excited to see me but he is postponing a trip to Thailand he had planned before we got together (he had tickets and everything). My question is, should I try harder to convince him to take his originally planned trip? Is it selfish of me to let him waste the ticket and stuff to come here? I wasn't the one to suggest it or anything, I just feel bad that he's missing out...

Well, it sounds like it's a decision he made completely on his own? I would love to take a trip to Australia, but while I'm in a LDR, I don't see that happening. Granted I never had anything booked, but it was the way I decided to arrange and organise my priorities. It sounds like he's done the same with Thailand.

That said, I would probably feel a bit bad if my SO had already had air fare and everything arranged for his trip. Would it at all be possible to afford going with him? Or, since that's a bit of a far-fetched suggestion (may not be, depending on your circumstances ), I might open up and tell him that you're flattered and really excited about the idea of seeing him, but at the same time, you don't want him to regret postponing Thailand when everything's already arranged. That way, you're still not swaying him one way or the other, but it will at least get him to think about if that's the decision he really wants to make and might end up resulting in the reassurance so that you don't have to feel bad about it.
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Comment

I did tell him that I feel guilty that he is giving up this trip for me... he said that part of it wasn't up for negotiation. I don't think there is much I can do to convince him to go on the trip :/

I wish I could go with him to Thailand. Unfortunatley I am making the move back to Australia (where he lives) in August which involves spending about $10,000 to bring both my dogs with me. It all depends on if he can change his time off dats anyway, we will know in a couple of days. If he does decide to come, it will be amazing, it will be the first time we hug, kiss etc. I can't wait.

Comment

To be as delicate as possible, it depends on why he was going to Thailand in the first place. (Don't blast me people, I'm just being realistic here, since he planned it before they were together!)
        If he just wanted a few days with friends, laying on their beautiful beaches, encourage him to go a little more, if he doesn't, that's OK, you gave him the option. I'd feel a little bad about it too.
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Oh don't worry about being delicate or anything I've been to Thailand, I know what it can be like. He was going to travel around the small countryside areas rather than the big cities. He is big into travel, one of the things we have in common. I do tell him that he shouldn't give it up for me but he always replies with "we can go together some other time" and my guilt is ever so slowly being replaced by excitement at the prospect of a road trip with him.

Comment

Haha, thanks, some people are so freakin' sensitive about such things
            Since you're both into travel, and it seems like he'd really rather wait until you both can go, don't worry about it and enjoy your road trip! It sounds like a blast.
            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
              Haha, thanks, some people are so freakin' sensitive about such things
              Since you're both into travel, and it seems like he'd really rather wait until you both can go, don't worry about it and enjoy your road trip! It sounds like a blast.
              I agree with this.
              { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
              Met online: February 2009
              Feelings confessed: December 2010
              Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
              Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
              First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
              Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
              Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
              Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
              to be continued...

Comment

Thanks everyone, I think these were just the answers I was looking for I am very very excited, hopefully he can get the time off!

Comment

A roadtrip in the US will be fun! I can see him viewing it as an opportunity to travel a bit in the US, since you're here. So it's not really that he's missing out, just taking a different opportunity. It's a good sign that he sees you as someone he wants to share these travel experiences with. I would feel a bit bad, but not tooo bad, if I were you. Take some time to do some research and find some very cool things to show him while he's visiting. Fingers crossed he can take the time off!

Comment

Working...
                  X