Some Facts About Communication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Facts About Communication

Today's lecture was all about love relationships, what makes them successful and what are the predictors for divorce/breaking up. Since so many threads are often answered with the suggestion to communicate, I figured I would share them here.

What John Gottman coined the four horseman of the apocalypse (something like that) in relationships are predictors that have allowed him to predict which couples are headed towards divorce, by studying them in these four areas, with a 90% success rate. This is one of the highest, conclusive numbers in psychology to date, so I'll start with the four.

1. Criticism - Criticisms are things such as "you're constantly leaving your laundry on the floor" or "you never clean the dishes right. There's always food on them!" Now, Gottman does not advocate that these things should not be said, but rather, it's the way of framing them that can become a problem.
    2. Hostility, contempt - This involves insults, name calling, commands, sarcasm, etc.
    3. Defensiveness - This involves making excuses, such as saying you're too tired to do the dishes after a long day at work and that's why you don't clean them properly, or counter-complaining, responding with a complaint about the partner; the complaint might be valid, but it's strategically placed to deflect the blame.
    4. Withdrawing - This includes being non-responsive, disengaged, walking away (different to the "I love you, but I feel like we need some space right now to calm down," which is actually quite healthy) and it also includes what one student in my class referred to as "stonewalling," i.e. letting the other partner vent and expend their anger before responding.

Now, I want to point out that everyone occasionally loses their cool and succumbs to these things. Where they really start to strain a relationship is when they're used frequently and consistently. I should also note that the want to change can also counter the influence that these things might have on a relationship, as in that case, the partner is actively working towards a healthier method of communication.

The other thing that was pointed out was that disagreements are too often seen as unhealthy. Putting the focus on not arguing, never disagreeing, etc. is avoiding conflict, which is not an unhealthy thing to have in relationships. It's the way that those arguments and disagreements are handled. An example of a very passionate couple was given to illustrate that even those who fight/disagree frequently can be happy and satisfied in their marriages; it was pointed out that they worked on their communication styles so that they were able to recognise when things were getting heated and take a moment to calm down before rationally dealing with the situation. So again, it's less about how many arguments that are had and more about how they're handled.

There are also consistent predictors (as in, they're agreed upon across studies) for what will make a successful/happy relationship, and they are as follows:
    1. Similarity in interests/values. He brought up the saying that "opposites attract" and yet studies have found that couples who are similar, as opposed to opposites, are more likely to stay together, happily, in the long run. If anyone's a Jung fan, this also ties into Jung's philosophy that compensating by finding what we're weak on in a partner can ultimately lead to tension and unhappiness further on down the line.
    2. Trust.
    3. Role sharing. Studies have found that in relationships where men, say, help with the laundry and other household chores, the women are often happier for it, thus leading to the men in the relationship being happier.
    4. Affection.
    5. Good communication.

So what makes good communication? There are two subgroups that help determine this:
    a) Mutual self-disclosure and listener support
    and
    b) Handling disagreement and conflict

a) Self-disclosure (being vulnerable/talking about one's emotions) is about faciliating shared understanding and allowing for shared support. One study - albeit this study was done on friendship intimacy as opposed to romantic intimacy - found that, among a sample of college students, both men and women tended to experience emotional closeness through talking and sharing their emotions, but men were more likely, on average, to experience emotional closeness through shared activities. Although the effect sizes were small - an effect size determines the overlap if you were to plot the differences on a graph, and many times, average gender differences are cancelled out by their overlap, because so many men and women share the characteristics on the same scale - it's still something to think about when trying to find ways to connect with your partner. There's also the fact that engaging in activities - even for LDR couples, there are plenty of activities to partake in - can lead to self-disclosure.

The other thing to practice is both more passive listening and active listening. It's important to acknowledge what your partner is saying, and not interrupt, but it's also important to take advantage of pauses and thought points to try and actively understand the problem. Ask questions, sympathise/empathise, be a part of the conversation and talk it out in attempt to nudge them towards better understanding (or your understanding, if it's a disagreement). As might be obvious, don't make negative statements, such as telling someone they "should have tried harder" or they "should have stood up for themselves" and don't be completely non-responsive.

It has been found that providing emotional support through these two methods leads to higher levels of satisfaction for couples, and for married and cohabitating couples. Instrumental support, which is where the role sharing mentioned earlier comes in, has been found to lead to higher levels of satisfaction in couples where both partners are more egalitarian than traditional; for traditional couples, role sharing has actually been found to lead to feelings of unhappiness.

b) Beyond the basics of communication that we learn from reading around, such as using "I" statements, there are two other keys to handling conflict in such a way that's healthy for a lasting relationship (three if you count the four "what not to do"s from earlier).

1. Listen. All too often we get caught up in wanting to talk, in wanting to convey our point, in wanting to interrupt and clarify if our partner perceives something we say as something it's not, or wasn't intended to be. A part of being a supportive and active listener means listening to gain an understanding of where the partner is coming from. There's nothing wrong with being honest and saying you don't understand so could they try explaining it one more time, because you want to understand, or simply asking them what's been up before jumping to the conclusion that anything needs to be talked out.

2. Demonstrate active understanding. It's important to let the other know that you heard what they're upset about. You don't have to agree with it, but it's important to still hear it and understand it for what it is. Saying "I understand that you're angry with me because...[reason they're upset here]" will get you further than criticising them for being upset in the first place. It's acknowledging what they're feeling, accepting it as valid because they're feeling it, and then moving on from it to explain your position and hopefully come to calmer, more rational conclusions.

Of course there are always exceptions, but these are some of what's been found in both past and present psychological research, and so I figured I would share.
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

This looks really interesting but I'll have to read it when I'm done on the phone with my mom

Comment

I only have time to skim through this right now, but it looks like some great stuff. Definitely a good resource for all of us on here! Thanks!

Also, if this is the result of your note-taking during a lecture...girl, I'm seriously impressed.

Comment

Thanks so much for sharing!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kirbycat View Post
          Also, if this is the result of your note-taking during a lecture...girl, I'm seriously impressed.
          Haha. Well, I'll take that as a compliment! Though everything likely wouldn't be as fleshed out if it weren't this morning's lecture.
          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
          to be continued...

Comment

Thanks for posting this. This is great stuff, not only for long distance relationships but for all couples. It gives me a lot to think about actually as I recognize myself in a few of these things (what I do wrong) and I also see areas my SO might want to work on. I've actually printed this to give it to my SO to read as well and talk about it

Comment

This is a great resource for not just LDRs, but all relationships.

Comment

Thank you everyone. I thought so too. It was really interesting to see the breakdown and when he mentioned it being one of the most solid findings in psychology, it was something I had to share, especially with the influx of people mentioning John Gray's book, which essentially advocates avoiding conflict altogether and dealing with conflict in avoidant, unhealthy ways. John Gottman's work is definitely a good resource for anyone, but I know the LFAD's most loved advice is "communication!", so I thought this would be an interesting read for some.
                { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
                to be continued...

Comment

thank you so much for sharing this is great information :

Comment

That was fascinating! I also wish I could have taken notes that thorough when I was in university, haha. I'm definitely going to keep this in the back of my head, particularly when we move in together and will need it more every day!

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                    Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Thanks for this! Its really interesting

Comment

There are many very vaild points here! A fascinating read, thanks for sharing

Comment

I really like this... you have given me much to think about and review. Thanks

Comment

Thanks! I teach communication, and many of these concepts. You've done a wonderful job summarizing them!

Comment

Working...
                            X