Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My SO and I would like to know .........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My SO and I would like to know .........

Do your friends think you are nuts for being in a LDR? His buddies think he's crazy. hehe...

I don't believe so, no, actually, but I don't treat it like it's anything special. Some people disagree with it, but the most I say to those people is something like "the situation is what it is and it works for us, so it doesn't matter whether or not it would work for you." I think his friends are more curious and fascinated by it, to be honest.
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Comment

My true friends don't have a problem, they encourage me even if they don't think they could manage it. Some acquaintance thinks that he's cheating on me every single day.

Comment

It's not the fact that I'm in a LDR that seems to bother/astonish some of them. It's more the fact that I'm in a relationship with a foreigner, someone from a completely different ethnicity and background. A good thing I don't care, right?
        I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

All of my friends are really supportive and nobody thinks I'm crazy. I get more admiration than anything for doing it. Also there are many people I know who have been or are in a ldr so it isn't that unusual. But like Eclaire I don't make anything special out of it but treat it as something normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiyama View Post
            All of my friends are really supportive and nobody thinks I'm crazy. I get more admiration than anything for doing it. Also there are many people I know who have been or are in a ldr so it isn't that unusual. But like Eclaire I don't make anything special out of it but treat it as something normal.
            I've honestly wondered if this sometimes plays a part in it. Like, I have known people who get super defensive when anyone questions it, or who get bent out of shape, and these people, who are most effected by it, seem to get more flack than I do? And I've often wondered if it's because I act so nonchalantly that either people don't bother to try and rattle me or they pick up on the nonchalance and accept it. To me, my LDR doesn't mean our relationship is stronger or more meaningful than anyone else's, either, so my LDR really is treated like a CDR and I think even when people question me, they pick up on my "vibe" pretty quickly and leave it alone. It'd be interesting to see if people's reactions vary depending on the way it's presented by the LDRshipper.
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
            Met online: February 2009
            Feelings confessed: December 2010
            Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
            Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
            First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
            Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
            Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
            Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
            to be continued...

Comment

I've had a few comments that I thought were sort of backhanded attempts to insult me but I just sort of brushed them off. Just someone saying online friendships don't count and when I point out that I met Matt online he didn't have a thing to say suddenly. That was the only thing though, my friends were more surprised I was with anyone than that I met him online. I had an aquaintance say he couldn't believe I was with anyone but an anime character. To me it's just a relationship that needs work like any other, not that I've been in a lot of those. I've never made a big deal out of it being an ldr though. His family has issues with it, which is weird because most of his exes were online too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
                I've honestly wondered if this sometimes plays a part in it. Like, I have known people who get super defensive when anyone questions it, or who get bent out of shape, and these people, who are most effected by it, seem to get more flack than I do? And I've often wondered if it's because I act so nonchalantly that either people don't bother to try and rattle me or they pick up on the nonchalance and accept it. To me, my LDR doesn't mean our relationship is stronger or more meaningful than anyone else's, either, so my LDR really is treated like a CDR and I think even when people question me, they pick up on my "vibe" pretty quickly and leave it alone. It'd be interesting to see if people's reactions vary depending on the way it's presented by the LDRshipper.
                Oh yes, I agree! My SO and I have never treated our LDR as being anything out of the ordinary, and nobody we know has ever made comments about us being crazy and suchlike.

Comment

Originally posted by lademoiselle View Post
                  Oh yes, I agree! My SO and I have never treated our LDR as being anything out of the ordinary, and nobody we know has ever made comments about us being crazy and suchlike.
                  Same. :P If any of my friends do think it's weird, they don't tell me. Some think it's admirable but couldn't do it themselves. Since I'm in college, it's actually a bit common to meet someone who is/has been in a LDR.

Comment

one of my friends told me at New Year "Grant, we think what your doing is weird but we support you 100%" so i dont think they understand how strong our feelings are for each other but least they are supportive.

Comment

My friends think im crazy, but are supportive.. i wouldnt care if they wernt to be honest, because its love.. and love holds no bounderies

Comment

My friends are very supportive, I have some family members that don't really understand but don't have anything negative to say. My SO's brother thinks he's crazy & doesn't understand who he doesn't look for a woman closer he also has friends that don't understand why he doesn't just drop everything & move here

Comment

My friends were supportive of my when I was LD, but they didn't entirely understand it and made me feel like my relationship problems were different/easier than the ones in their own relationships, so they would never talk to me about relationship stuff because they thought I wouldn't understand. (which made me sad, really.) But whatevs, we're living together now so it's cool.

Comment

My friends don't think it's weird per say but I guess I'd say they just don't understand it, they always talk about how they'd never be able to do it and that I'm crazy for doing this but I just think it's just because they haven't encountered someone that is worth being LD for.

Notes:
                            Met: 8.17.09
                            Started Dating: 8.20.09
                            First Met: 10.2.10
                            Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Some of my friends think I'm nuts and that we both have so much opportunity to cheat and wondered if I actually did. One even asked me flat out if I cheated. I gave them the look of 'really?'. I'd rather be a little nuts and have my SO so far away than be normal and having a change in partner every 5 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X