Been here a week and 2 days!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been here a week and 2 days!

I was so afraid of coming here and had feelings of breaking up but since I've been here with my SO I realize that I am an IDIOT! Flying here was so extremely scary for me and I was holding back tears the majority of the time. I really like it here, besides the overload of people here in Florida. I could see myself moving here but I don't know how. We met up with my cousin who has lived here for years, and he said it's REALLY expensive and that it will be really difficult for me to get a job in the city he lives because everyone speaks Spanish. :/ I know some Spanish but I don't think it's enough for me to even be able to get a job. The main thing is though I've been missing my little nephew like crazy and it's really pulling at my heart. He's been asking about me and missing me and it just kills me..that would be the main thing now that would be hard if I would move here - I'd lose the relationship I have with him already because he'll start forgetting about me... I just don't know, and I don't want to go back home, like period. Besides to see my nephew. If I do move here, how am I going to get my car down here, pay for gas, get a job, do all of that? He still lives with his parents so I don't have to worry too much about rent and things like that until we start getting our own place. I just don't know how I'll be able to move here!!
    sigpic
    We've been together since 10.11.10

First Visit-7.13.11
    Second Visit-12.17.11
    Closed the distance-06.20.12

one step at a time. You can drive your car down there. Take 2 days to do the drive - totally do able. Are his parents willing to let you live with them? You can start looking for jobs from home. it doesnt have to be in the city he lives, does it? And what kind of work? What kind of experience do you have? Sometimes you have to look outside of the box when looking for employment. Look at hospitals, there are tons of entry level jobs that pay well. And check the local craigslist.
    Are the two of you ready to make that kind of commitment?
    everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

Take your time. Take everything step by step. You have to come up with a plan or it will overwhelm you....Good Luck!
      sigpic
      Not to get clever
      but with you I see forever
      But whatever it is,
      Here's to you,
      I Love You Kid...

Comment

If you do move down, driving will solve a couple problems -- no scary flight, and you can get your car along with everything you can pack into it down there with you.

As for all the other things, take your time, and figure out what you want to do. It'll all work out. Just take one thing at a time, and it'll work out. Your cousins experience won't necessarily be your experience. You might easily find a job, and with all the companies with online applications, you can start ASAP. As for living with his family, that really helps, just make sure they are willing.

It sounds like it could really work out for you guys. I'm so glad you conquered your fears and made it down to see him. Best of luck.
        Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
        Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
        Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
        LD again: July 24, 2012
        Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
        Married: November 1, 2014
        Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by subeasley View Post
          one step at a time. You can drive your car down there. Take 2 days to do the drive - totally do able. Are his parents willing to let you live with them? You can start looking for jobs from home. it doesnt have to be in the city he lives, does it? And what kind of work? What kind of experience do you have? Sometimes you have to look outside of the box when looking for employment. Look at hospitals, there are tons of entry level jobs that pay well. And check the local craigslist.
          Are the two of you ready to make that kind of commitment?
          We both have talked about it for a while and this was the last step to see if we can actually live together and handle it, I know I'm not jumping on it RIGHT NOW- so far it's been about 2 weeks but I plan on staying for a month or so to see how it goes. His parents are loving me here (I don't know why :P) They say they'd love for me to live here and don't mind it at all. His entire family is extremely loving towards me. I just don't know how I will afford everything, I have no experience because I have just graduated high school and have tried like crazy in Ohio where I live and nobody will hire me!
          sigpic

First Visit-7.13.11
          Second Visit-12.17.11

Comment

You mentioned that you were flying into FLL (Fort Lauderdale Airport) in an older post. Yes, South Florida is expensive, as its a big tourist attraction. Your cousin wasn't kidding lol. Spanish is the main language spoken, mostly in Miami. BUT! It's not impossible to get by without it. I've known people who have and have lived in Miami for years :P. Plus, if you're around the language enough, you'll pick it up! jeje Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I know South Florida like the back of my hand .

Comment

I would discuss the terms of staying there with his parents. You don't want to move in with any assumptions and be caught off guard if they have any expectations you weren't previously warned about. I would have a sit down between you and them, without your SO present, and honestly ask them about what would happen if you were to move in with them. Would they expect you and your SO to be moved out by a certain time frame? Would they ask that you contribute to food and utilities, or pay a small amount each month as a means of rent? What would they expect out of you and what happens if it takes you some to find a job? Don't make assumptions based off of what they say now and neglect to have that sit down chat. Like you would with the contract of an apartment, you need to know what their terms would be if you moved in, as opposed to simply visited.

As far as jobs, keep looking, utilise the obvious suggestions (Craigslist, apply everywhere, don't restrict yourself to his city, etc.), but I would also consider taking up a volunteer job. You won't get paid, no, but you will get experience and you will get a reference, and it'll look better on your resume than what you typically put down if you've never worked before.
              { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
              Met online: February 2009
              Feelings confessed: December 2010
              Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
              Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
              First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
              Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
              Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
              Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
              to be continued...

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
                I would discuss the terms of staying there with his parents. You don't want to move in with any assumptions and be caught off guard if they have any expectations you weren't previously warned about. I would have a sit down between you and them, without your SO present, and honestly ask them about what would happen if you were to move in with them. Would they expect you and your SO to be moved out by a certain time frame? Would they ask that you contribute to food and utilities, or pay a small amount each month as a means of rent? What would they expect out of you and what happens if it takes you some to find a job? Don't make assumptions based off of what they say now and neglect to have that sit down chat. Like you would with the contract of an apartment, you need to know what their terms would be if you moved in, as opposed to simply visited.

As far as jobs, keep looking, utilise the obvious suggestions (Craigslist, apply everywhere, don't restrict yourself to his city, etc.), but I would also consider taking up a volunteer job. You won't get paid, no, but you will get experience and you will get a reference, and it'll look better on your resume than what you typically put down if you've never worked before.
                Thank you that is a great idea, but can I even get a job currently even if I'm not a resident? Me moving here isn't in stone yet but I'd like to see jobs available but I'm not sure if they'll hire me since I don't live here, etc.
                sigpic

First Visit-7.13.11
                Second Visit-12.17.11

Comment

Tell the employers that you have accommodation sorted, assuming that you get the job.

And do some volunteering as eclaire said. If you can't get some paid employment out of it down the line, you get experience that can be as valuable as paid employment.

Comment

I agree with Tooki. People seek work out of state all the time, so I'm guessing there's not some massive legal side to it, like there is when seeking work overseas or across the border. I think the most they'd want to know is that you have accomodation sorted and are able to get to and from work reliably.
                    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
                    Met online: February 2009
                    Feelings confessed: December 2010
                    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
                    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
                    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
                    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
                    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
                    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
                    to be continued...

Comment

Originally posted by MissVampyxo View Post
                      Thank you that is a great idea, but can I even get a job currently even if I'm not a resident? Me moving here isn't in stone yet but I'd like to see jobs available but I'm not sure if they'll hire me since I don't live here, etc.
                      You are a United States Citizen you can go to Alaska for work if you really wanted. Residency only is an issue when dealing with immigration from lets say the U.S to Thailand or the U.S to the U.K.

Comment

Working...
                      X