Seeing your SO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing your SO

I'm with my SO at the moment and this is the longest amount of time that we have spent together.
    It feels really strange because so far I've been visiting him for just over a week and I keep feeling sad thinking that I'm going to be saying goodbye to him soon, even though I'm not! We're only 1/3 of the way through the visit!
    Does anyone else feel like this?
    And does anyone have any tips on how to stop feeling like it and just enjoy my holiday!?
    No time zone or distance or anything can keep us apart

I felt like that on our first visits. I'd start crying a few days before I/he left. I couldn't really enjoy our time together as much as I wanted because I kept thinking "in x amount of time we have to say goodbye again and it'll be heartbreaking."

I don't really have any advice. It went away with time, because we kept seeing each other and I realized while, yes, parting will always hurt, we will see each other again and it will be wonderful. I knew that on our first visits -theoretically-, but I guess I needed time to emotionally believe in it as well.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

It happened to me too, specially when I was the one to visit him. I saw him for only 4 days but the day before I was already crying because I knew I had to leave.

But... this summer he came over for four weeks, it was really good. We have met each other for 3 times while being long distance, so I do not really have that much experience yet, but what I do know is you can get over the sadness for a while if you just stop thinking about the future and enjoy the moment. I had troubles with it at first because he's my first boyfriend ever and therefore when we meet it seems too good to be true, but I guess we have to learn to believe it

My advice is do not think of it... I know every couple is different, but in my case, my SO and I are very active, we go take bicycle rides around or we go walking to the mountains or something. We are also into arts, so he gave me a small course for using watercolor and I gave him one on colored pencils, which is each other's area of expertise... and I think those are the moments when I can completely forget about him leaving and it feels almost as if this happiness was normal.

Whenever we were at rest, and those thoughts about leaving came to my mind, instead of thinking "we'll be away again in 3 weeks" I said to myself "This is great and I STILL have 3 more weeks with him!" It's about doing things together and be active, creative, or just fool around, or anything that keeps your mind busy in happy moments of the present rather than sad thoughts of the future. Make plans to go to many different places and just laugh everything off! I hope you continue having a wonderful visit!

I'm not at expert but I hope it helps

Comment

The last time I went to visit him this happened to me. About half way through my visit (two weeks) I began dreading saying goodbye. My advice would be to just hold him close and try to be happy for the time you have. Instead of looking forward to saying goodbye maybe start planning your next visit so you'll have something more positive to look forward too. This helped me a little bit. Goodluck and enjoy your holiday! (:

"I love you and I've loved you all along and I miss you. Been far away for far too long."<3

Comment

It does take away from your trip when you remember it's going to end at some point =/ I cope by just pretending that it's not a visit.. When I'm with him, I feel like I've finally come home after a long trip, so I just take that feeling as seriously as I can. It's a mind-trick, but a comforting one and I get to fully enjoy our time together without too many of those moments, counting down the hours until the plane ride. If the SO ever reminds me that I'm leaving soon, I just pretend he's crazy
          Last edited by CanadianGirl; July 28, 2012, 09:58 PM.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to visits and end dates. I have never stayed with my SO for more than two weeks (can't really take more time off work) and I just can't stop thinking about the day I have to leave. I count down the days several times a day, actually. At first it's just to reassure myself that I still have time left, but soon it starts taking its toll on my mood, and by the last four to five days I'd break down crying randomly. I still haven't figured out a way to deal with this.
            I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

My girl and I always stay for long periods together, so we don't get that as much. But we definitely feel it as time ticks down.

Comment

Working...
              X