Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Deal With A Phobia Of Drunk People?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Deal With A Phobia Of Drunk People?

And it is really just that... A phobia.

So my current boyfriend of a little over a year went on a drinking session with his buddies Friday night, and while he normally doesn't call me because he ends up staying the night at his friend's place, and he knows I get very uncomfortable around him when he calls me drunk, he ended up calling me Friday night when he got home after a drinking session with his buddies. Let me put the foundation now by saying that he's not mean or rude or anything when he's drunk (or at least he hasn't displayed that to me anyways), but rather, overly affectionate. He does and says things he would never say sober, and while maybe it should make me feel a bit flattered with how he talks to me when he's drunk, I end up second-guessing him because it all sounds rather exaggerated and fake with the way he talks.

When he finally fell asleep on me over the phone, and I hung up, the entire night left me feeling extremely uncomfortable with him drunk and got me thinking about what the future could hold for the both of us.

Some backstory here, and it may be a bit nitty-gritty for some readers. (Please tell me if this needs to be in a mature area of the forum for the content about to be listed.) When I was younger, in my highschool years, I was sexually assaulted by a drunk person. Since then, I couldn't stand the smell of alcohol on someone's breath or the way they acted or behaved, regardless if they were mean drunks or not. Also since I was very little, my mother suffered from alcoholism that tore our family apart, even to the point where she got violent (more towards my dad than me or my brother). These two things, along with the loss of two very special people in my life from alcohol-related incidents has imprinted a very 'fearful' look towards drunk people, and I find myself extremely uncomfortable around them.

Fast forward to now, and it turns out my body can't metabolize alcohol anyways, so I end up just staying away from it entirely, or having a glass or wine or champagne once in a blue moon.

Now my boyfriend is not an extremely heavy drinker by any means, but he does it enough that it makes me uncomfortable. He'll go out with his friends, and it seems the only way the group of them can have fun is to get wrecked. It's easy enough to deal with right now... All I have to do is tell him not to call me, and that's that. But it leads me to think of the future and what it could hold for us. I plan on spending a three-month period with him come summer or next year, just to test the waters for being a long-term CD couple, and it makes me wonder how do I deal with him when he wants to go out and get drunk with his friends? I understand I don't have to join them, and that's probably what it will turn into, but how do I deal with the fear when he ends up coming home? I find it extremely unfair of me to say you have to stay at your friend's house and sleep it off there, just because I have a phobia of those who are drunk. But I get so uncomfortable around drunk people that I just don't know how to deal with it. It brings up bad feelings from the past that I've tried so hard to disassociate from, but find that I haven't quite succeeded yet.

I've talked to him and explained to him my fears, and while he said all I needed to do was tell him to stop getting drunk and he would, I told him I never wanted to be that girlfriend who made such constricting rules like that, and that I would rather put my own emotional well-being on the line to give him his fun and freedom. I know I need to find some compromise for this to work, but I need some advice here. What do I do to try and deal with this phobia of drunkenness?

I would explain to him not to call you when Hes drunk make it clear that you dont like it.

I like to drink on occasion my SO doesnt like drinking at all. I dont drink around him unless he says its okay and I dont call him when I drink out of respect for him

He doesnt have to stop drinking unless its to the point where it isnt healthy. He should just not have you around it.

Also does he know WHY you dont like drunk people ?
    " There is always hope.
    "

Comment

because of the things that have happened in your past...i don't really think there is anything you can do to get rid of the feelings that drinking gives you...those things that happened are such an influence on your life...especially the abuse part...and losing people close to you because of alcohol...so i think it comes down to what you really want to do with it...it's great that you have talked with him about all of this already...that's important...would have been my first bit of advice...and the fact that he has offered to stop drinking means that he is totally devoted to you...and your feelings...maybe he could end up being the one in the group that is the designated driver...so that everyone else stays safe...which is mostly what i do now...i can have fun without drinking...it's not all that important to me to get wrecked anymore...i did enough of that in my younger years...so staying safe for me and the ones i care about...is way more important...and as far as him being all lovey dovey with you when he drinks..i do this too at times when i do have a few....they always say that you will never do or say anything drunk that you wouldn't sober...so i believe everything he says to you is the honest way he feels about you...so...you have to decide what you are comfortable with...and go from there

Comment

I shall add onto my post by saying I don't want him to stop drinking. I have no qualms with people having a few drinks in a social situation; just a thing to relax and to sip on while catching the breeze. I also know he's not one of those people who feels the need to get drunk when he has a drink in hand, and that he can control it. It just seems mostly when he's with this particular group of friends, it turns into a drunken session and that's kind of when it bothers me.

And yes he does know. He only calls me when he's in the right state of mind to actually converse with me and not just sloppily slur his words all over the place. Friday was the exception, for whatever reason. I'm more concerned about how to handle this when we end up becoming CD.

Comment

Maybe when your CD and he has nights like that maybe he can stay with a friend ?
          " There is always hope.
          "

Comment

I see nothing wrong with him staying with a friend when he has a nite like this if you two are living together. How would he get home anyway? Especially if it wasnt a constant occurrance. You wont want to spend every day together, you each need your own thing once in a while to unwind.
            You have told him how you feel, and he seems to respect it.
            This is something that will always be with you. I have several friends that dont drink, and/or dont like to be around that. i respect that
            everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

I really don't mean this to sound offensive, but have you talked to a therapist or counselor about all of this? You've had a lot of very bad things happen, and there's no way of learning to deal with this fear unless you get help. You may always have the fear, but someone can help you find a way of coping with it and not having it be a source of friction between you and your SO. It does sound like he is trying to be understanding about where you're coming from, and it's great that he's willing to compromise.

You've said you'd rather put your own well-being on the line than be that girlfriend, but I really don't think you should make that sacrifice. In order for your relationship to be happy and healthy, there can't be things that are detrimental to you. If you think it would help you to feel better, why don't you do something like that he'll stop drinking for a set amount of time, while you go talk to someone about this specific issue? I really honestly think that the only person who can help you know what's a healthy course of action is a professional that's qualified to deal with it. I swear by therapy, it's helped me turn my life completely around after a lot of bad things happening.

Additionally, binge drinking like that hugely changes with age. My SO used to go out multiple times a week and would always drink what I'd think of as way too much, but since he's been out of school and working and since we've started living together, I've seen him drunk maybe two or three times in the past 3.5 months.

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
              Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

I think you need to seek help for yourself so you can feel better about it.
                It may take a while for you to be 'ok' with it.

You cannot make everyone around you not drink because of your phobia.
                And as you describe, he is not violent or mean when he drinks yah?
                He's just havin fun with friends.
                Plus I'm sure he doesn't drink every nights.

I used to be a heavy drinker and nowadays I drink almost never.
                My bf drinks only on occasion and yes he calls me a lil drunk.
                Personally I don't mind as long as he doesn't drink and drive.

But I understand your past experiences makes it very difficult.
                There is nothing wrong with seeking help.
                It will only make things better for you : )
                ♡ ~~~~ 'When you find something worth fighting for, you never give up' ~~~~ ♡

Comment

Ok, so we almost have the same problem here (honestly i thought I was the only one). My biological father was an alcoholic and beat my mom for what it seemed like every single day. He was a controlling bastard. I was 3 when my mom left him. Now, I can't being around alcohol without getting nervous (it used to be worse, I would get panic attacks, ectect). I told Daniel this later into our relationship and luckily he's a very supportive boyfriend.

He's not really a drinker anyway (he never drinks to get drunk), but he does like a beer now and then. We talk about it a lot and make compromises so I feel comfortable and he still gets his beer. Like, when we move in together the beer has to stay outside in a fridge, and he has to shower/brush his teeth (to get the smell off) after he has what he wants for the day.

So maybe you both and talk about it and make a few compromises so you both are happy?

Furthermore, I don't agree with not being "that" girlfriend. Please do not be ashamed to feel the way you do. You have a serious phobia and he needs to be there to support you 100% of the time.
                  Last edited by Black_Halloween; October 9, 2012, 07:53 AM.
                  Made it official: 12-01-10
                  First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
                  Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

A big thank you to everyone who has commented! In the end, it kind of looks like I answered my own question in a way, as it seems like everyone has backed up what I said in some form or another. When we talked, I told him that it was his decision how he really wants to go about compromising, or if he simply wants to stop getting drunk cold-turkey, because I wasn't going to force him into anything. While it's still a ways away yet, it is still less than a year until I get to spend a long amount of time with him, and I guess I just wanted ideas for when that time comes. It may have to be that he stay at a friend's when he plans to get drunk; I feel terrible about it, but I dunno what else I can do. It's never a good idea for me to ignore my own feelings. Done it before, and I don't plan to do it again.

Originally posted by kteire View Post
                    I really don't mean this to sound offensive, but have you talked to a therapist or counselor about all of this? You've had a lot of very bad things happen, and there's no way of learning to deal with this fear unless you get help. You may always have the fear, but someone can help you find a way of coping with it and not having it be a source of friction between you and your SO. It does sound like he is trying to be understanding about where you're coming from, and it's great that he's willing to compromise.
                    To answer that, yes I have been through many years of counseling. I had a wonderful therapist who helped me through these times, and she did a spectacular job of helping me get on my feet. I used to not even be able to function on a day-to-day basis, but now I am pretty much entirely stable. However, my brain can't really ignore triggers, and there are just some things I dunno if I'll ever be 100% comfortable with. Sometimes I manage, and that's about all I do.

Comment

If you're still really uncomfortable with it when you go and see him, don't be ashamed to ask him to not drink while you're there. He should make spending time with you a priority anyway rather than getting wasted.
                      Made it official: 12-01-10
                      First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
                      Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Working...
                      X