Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your SO care about your career goals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captivated View Post
    Okay - I don't know what just happened.

So tonight after work, I get home, eat dinner and we go upstairs and relax. With this whole writing thing still on my mind, as we're playing our usual Facebook games, I casually mention the novel again. I tell him I'll need to start prepping soon but that I had no concrete story ideas - the ones I had were shit. He gave me some silly ideas and then I told him that I was being serious. He then paused and started giving me good ideas. I elaborated on the ideas and he started to get excited. He then - and I can't believe this - turned off the game, pulled up notepad and starting writing an outline for the story. He went on and on, creating ideas and giving opinions on where it would go. LOL He then said I could drop him off at the gym some days so I can get some work done. (he still doesn't have his DL or have a car)

Basically, it was a complete 180 change. Did he see this post?? LOL Well he's not on here so I doubt it. But wow...I'm a bit speechless.
    that's awesome!
    First met online: June, 2010
    First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
    Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
    Third visit together: August, 2012
    Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
    Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
    Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
    Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

That's great news!! Maybe he finally realized that you were really serious about your writing. Either way that's awesome!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
      Married April 18th, 2015!!
      Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

my SO cares and is supportive of my career goal. I'm an aspiring clinical psychologist and want to work with the US military and the SO is encouraging me to quit my job completely and just focus on my school and getting my doctoral degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Captivated View Post
          Okay - I don't know what just happened.

So tonight after work, I get home, eat dinner and we go upstairs and relax. With this whole writing thing still on my mind, as we're playing our usual Facebook games, I casually mention the novel again. I tell him I'll need to start prepping soon but that I had no concrete story ideas - the ones I had were shit. He gave me some silly ideas and then I told him that I was being serious. He then paused and started giving me good ideas. I elaborated on the ideas and he started to get excited. He then - and I can't believe this - turned off the game, pulled up notepad and starting writing an outline for the story. He went on and on, creating ideas and giving opinions on where it would go. LOL He then said I could drop him off at the gym some days so I can get some work done. (he still doesn't have his DL or have a car)

Basically, it was a complete 180 change. Did he see this post?? LOL Well he's not on here so I doubt it. But wow...I'm a bit speechless.
          WONDERFUL news!!!!
          I know how it is to have someone who is not supportive of your career goals.
          In my last (and very short) relationship, there were no schools around where I was living so I was going to have to move away for school. He then asked me to give up all my career dreams for him because he didn't want me to "leave him". Well, he's no longer in my life. In the beginning of my current relationship, my SO, told me that I was not allowed to begin a relationship with him unless I promised to him, and more so to myself, that I would continue on my current career path and fulfill all my dreams!! Planning on hopefully being in school within the next year!!

In my opinion, being supportive of each other is a part of being in a relationship. Now, I wasn't going to suggest you leave him (like I did), but that you slowly start talking to him about your dreams and you were sad that it seemed like he wasn't on board with you. But now, this news is awesome! So glad to hear it.

Comment

That's awesome he's supporting your career goals now! I agree with many of the above poster that since your career is where you spend a lot of time, it's important that your SO is supportive. For me it was extremely important since it's the whole reason we're long distance.

Comment

Thank you everyone! Everything you guys said helped me so much. I'm glad he had a change of heart. Hope it continues!

Met: November 19, 2010
              Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
              Made it official: April 29, 2011
              Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
              Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
              Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
              K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
              Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
              Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

Working...
              X