Plans got destroyed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plans got destroyed

I'm so... Upset isn't right. Angry isn't either. It just hurts.

My SO and I will be celebrating our two year anniversary on November 20th, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Early in the semester, I found out my University doesn't have classes for the entire week of Thanksgiving. I was so excited because that meant I'd get to spend that whole week with him. I don't have classes on Tuesday anyway, so I aways thought we'd have that day. But I was excited to find I would have the weekend and that whole week with him.

A couple weeks ago, I found out I have class on Wednesday at the other University I go to. I hadn't even thought of that being possible. I've NEVER had a class on the day before Thanksgiving... So. I was really upset. But I figured, we'd still be together, just here since he's flying in from his conference that Sunday. We could just stay here until my class.

Then, yesterday, the kicker. He has a test on Tuesday, and they won't allow him to reschedule. And he has a project due the next week that he HAS to get to work on from his office. So, his flight comes in on Friday (yay!), but he has to leave Monday to go take his test. And I have to just sit here, by myself, on our two year anniversary. Waiting to go to a stupid class that I really don't want to go to, but really can't miss.

I know, I get to see him. That's great. But after months of looking forward to celebrating two years together, now I don't even get to see him on that day... Moving here has been the most difficult thing I've done in so many ways. I'm so glad I did, but it's really hard. And now I don't get to see him for our anniversary... It just... Hurts.
    Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
    Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
    Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
    LD again: July 24, 2012
    Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
    Married: November 1, 2014
    Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Awe that would be hard, especially since you suddenly have to adapt to it. Would you guys be able to at least skype or something on the day, and celebrate your anniversary in person when he's there? I hope you have a great 2 year anniversary, and congratulations on making it this far!! My SO and I just celebrated 2 years a little while ago too.

Comment

I hate when plans fall through! At least you're still spending time together which is definitely better than nothing!
      My SO and I have never spent an anniversary together. I like to think of it like this: It's just a day. At least you will be together really close to your anniversary and you can celebrate it then. It's like celebrating a holiday with your family on another day because you can't be together on the holiday. It's just a day. If you're still celebrating (even if it's on a different day), it should still mean just as much even if it's not exact. Think about it: The world is never exact. It tosses and turns us all sort of unexpected directions. If it didn't, would you be in a LDR in the first place? So, although it's disappointing you won't see each other on the exact day, you can change your mindset and make that weekend your anniversary! You get more than one day too!
      I hope your visit is still amazing!

Comment

Thanks guys. Yea, we talked about it tonight, and we're probably just going to celebrate it on Saturday, while he's here. I know in the grand scheme of things, it's just that we'll do the same thing on a different day. But I had been looking forward to spending that day with him for so long. Really, it's helped me get through these months. I just need to remember I still get those things. But it sucks to be blind-sided by this.

I can't really talk to anyone about this stuff either. I guess none of us really can. I'm not really close enough to anyone to tell them how much I miss him and how hard it is to lose those little things, because I cling so tightly to those little things. But just being able to tell someone and have them know the feeling... It helps.
        Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
        Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
        Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
        LD again: July 24, 2012
        Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
        Married: November 1, 2014
        Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Comment

Working...
        X