Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what if you met your SO years before you did?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope! I would never have looked twice because I was madly taken with a guy friend that just wanted nothing to do with me. Thank gosh we met now because he's wonderful

Comment

I definitely think, had I met my SO a few years before I did, that we would not be in the relationship we're in today. I'm still the same person in many ways, but there is a lot that happened in the past 5 years that really changed me. I would not have done those things if I had been in a relationship with him, as it took one really shitty relationship to really drive me to a better place. We would also have been very young, and I would have lacked most of the resources and experience I needed to meet my SO in person.
      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

NOPE! Even a year earlier it wouldn't have worked out!!!

Comment

Well we were friends for quite a while before we started dating, and we had both sort of hovered around the idea of contacting one another on the site we met on; we were simply too intimidated to do so. Eventually one of us got around to it and we were friends for about two and a half years before we decided "hey, I like you" and began dating. We aren't together anymore, however, I feel if we had met each other years before we did, then it either would have meant we were friends for longer or never dated at all. I can't tell you which one I assume it would have been! The main reason we decided to pursue LD in the first place was that we were both adults and I at least had the means to make it work, whereas I wouldn't have if I was any younger.

Comment

Hmmm... Our getting together story is kinda awkward but I think had those events not happened we would not be together. Our personalities were quite different when we first met but we have grown together during our time - we're lucky that our personalities grew closer, not apart. If I had not met him, I would possibly be a different person, he has shaped me so much. So if we met now, not having known each other, I'm not sure whether or not we would fall for each other.
            Si tu n'etais pas la
            Comment pourrais-je vivre
            Je ne connaitrais pas
            Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
            Quand je suis dans tes bras
            Mon coeur joyeux se livre
            Comment pourrais-je vivre
            Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
            Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

Comment

If we met any earlier we would have been children But yes, I think it would have worked out, because we didn't date when we first met anyway.
              Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

We've discussed this before ^.^ and agreed that if we would have met years ago we would be married with kids by now.

Comment

We met in our mid to late twenties. I like to play the "what if" game sometimes: for example, what if we had met in high school? However, if we had met then, our three year age gap might have been too insurmountable for us to consider, not to mention the fact that when his family moved after his HS graduation, we might have failed at our LDR. We were also very different people then than we are now.

In the end, we met and fell in love when the time was right for us both. Rather than regret what might have been in the past, we're very excited about spending our futures together!
                  My heart belongs to a pilot!
                  ~*~
                  ~*~
                  [/center]

Comment

Originally posted by Trethsparr View Post
                    We met in our mid to late twenties. I like to play the "what if" game sometimes: for example, what if we had met in high school? However, if we had met then, our three year age gap might have been too insurmountable for us to consider, not to mention the fact that when his family moved after his HS graduation, we might have failed at our LDR. We were also very different people then than we are now.

In the end, we met and fell in love when the time was right for us both. Rather than regret what might have been in the past, we're very excited about spending our futures together!

A three year age gap is not bad! I have one. haha

Comment

Oh, yeah, now that we're 28 and 31, it's basically unnoticable. But at 14 and 17 (Freshman/Senior), it would have been very unlikely for us to get together (he told me once he would have never considered bridging that gap then, ha ha).
                      Last edited by Trethsparr; January 1, 2013, 06:04 PM.
                      My heart belongs to a pilot!
                      ~*~
                      ~*~
                      [/center]

Comment

Originally posted by MadMolly View Post
                        He's 8 years older than me so if we had met any earlier, it wouldn't have worked because I would have been way too young for him! Now I'm nearly 24 the age difference isn't significant at all.
                        My SO is 10 years older than me, so pretty much the same.

Comment

I'm 26 and he's 32 (33 in march). If we had met years ago I'm not sure it would have worked out. He would have been in the Army still and with his frequent but short deployments I'm not sure I could've handled the constant worrying about him being away. Plus, I think years ago we were both still sort of immature. Its nice being older and dating now because we have learned and matured a lot over the years.

Met Online: 02/2012
                          Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
                          First Met in person: 09/22/2012
                          Started Dating: 10/30/2012
                          Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

Well, we met when we were teenagers, so... we probably would have been friends. He might have actually been the "big brother" figure that we tried to pretend he was before getting together.
                            I'm glad that wasn't the case.

Comment

Jeez I didn't even stop to consider our age gap! D:

At 5 years separating us I don't know if we would have worked at all! I think dating a 15 year old was already pushing it for him haha not sure how he would have felt if we were younger, and even though I like older guys I think if I had been any younger the gap might have scared me off. At least from dating, I'm sure we'd still be friends and all that but he probably would have found someone else to date.

Notes:
                              Met: 8.17.09
                              Started Dating: 8.20.09
                              First Met: 10.2.10
                              Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I was 17 and my SO was 24 when we met online for the first time but we were just friends for the first two years before taking it forward. I would have been way too young if we had met some years before. I would have been worried if my SO had expressed his interest in me at the time. I think I was still quite naive and immature when we got together - I was just out of high school, he had just started working as a pilot. In a way I'm glad it happened then as I was still unexperienced enough to think it would be easy to be in a LDR so I gave it a chance. I'm not sure if I would have been brave enough later on in life but at the time I had nothing to lose. In a way it was a perfect timing.
                                Last edited by roosie; January 1, 2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X