Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who takes it harder after a visit, and how do you deal with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
    "men don't cry except in really really extreme cases and then you still hide it"
    Like when their football team loses an important game! Anything is allowed then!

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Hey, I can relate to what you posted. My boyfriend left on Monday (2 days ago) and I don't know what to do with myself. When I'm around people it's okay but as soon as I'm alone tears just fall down my face.

Comment

Well, my SO just left yesterday, and that sucks.

Anywho, I think both of us take it extremely hard, but my SO tries to keep the mood as light and happy as possible so he doesn't have to think about it until we're pretty much hugging goodbye. I know this past time, I was actually doing pretty well up until we got to the airport. I felt tears welling up at several different points, but I wanted to be happy for him, and for our last moments together to be happier ones.

When we part, I tend to be more reflective, at least outwardly, and I voice how sad I'll be. My SO is just like, "Ssh, don't talk about it!" and then we turn on some music or ambient noise to block out the simmering emotions and just enjoy each other's company.

The first time it happened, I got upset that he wasn't showing more emotion, but after this summer when I came back to the States, I realized it was just his way of dealing with things. Plus, I much prefer having a happy and light-hearted farewell (at least as much as possible :P) to a morose and stilted conversational one. I think our moments before we leave each other are some of the most poignant, where we just revel in each other's presence, and look forward to the next time we'll see each other.

My SO always says something that resonates: "It's not goodbye, it's a see you later." For some reason, this always helps me deal with the distance more easily. Each moment we're apart is one moment closer to the next time we'll see each other.
        "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

I leave my bf in 4days. It's our first visit since going LD so ill let you know!

Comment

In my past relationship I always felt like he was taking it harder than I did - I was the one visiting 90% of the time. I knew when I came back home after a 3 hour train ride I would have my siblings and parents around and by the time I got back to my computer he'd be there. He had to go back to an empty apartment.

So I think after I leave my current boyfriend in march he will be sad that I left and sad that he's now alone in the room that we just shared, but he has a loving family who will help him get through it.
            I will go back through a 20 hour tour until I get home, to my family, who all (except my dad) disapprove of this relationship and because of the time difference I won't even be able to talk to my SO :/ I'm not really looking forward to this very sad first day that I'll be back.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
            Married: 1/24/2015
            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I believe that I take it much harder than he does. I had to leave him yesterday after a one month stay. It is always very difficult for me to leave him, especially if he is crying because that just breaks my heart. However, I don't cry as much when I leave him. I cry a lot the day before I have to leave him and the day of leaving, but when he has to leave me, I cry for days. I would say probably a week. It may seem pathetic crying for that long, but I think it's hard to see our memories everywhere I look, so I cry a lot. After one of us leaves, I usually make a large paper chain. I don't know why but it makes me feel better. I'll probably start making one today, actually. Then, I usually hang it up around the ceiling of my room and let the end I'll be taking links away from hang from the ceiling to the floor. I tear one off every day. It feels good to see the chain get smaller and smaller. My chains are approximately 150-170 links long because my SO and I only see each other every 4-6 months. This, plus, the old daily routine helps me get back into things. The first few days to a week without him is very strange and feels so odd, but after a while, everything settles back to normal.
              sigpic

To read our love story, click here.

Comment

I think it's getting a little harder for my SO as time goes on, just have to keep each other strong!

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
                2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
                3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
                4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
                5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
                6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
                7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
                Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
                UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

I saw my SO for 8 hours yesterday and then I had to leave to go back to the university I just transferred to. Since moving here, I am only 3 hours away but today was really rough after seeing him yesterday... I feel like its gonna be harder for the first couple days... I miss him so much already. :/

Comment

Definitely me...just left him after three weeks together. But I think this was the hardest one for him (SO), he had to say goodbye to me and my son (who cried himself to sleep two nights in a row before we left because he did not want to leave my SO), and we were both crying. I think I did better this time than usual, I must either be getting used to it, or was stronger with my son there.

My SO kissed me a dozen times and picked up hugged and kissed my son as well, so I knew it was hard for him. We don't know when we will see each other again, which always makes it more difficult. I feel like when we have a plan for the next visit, I am much better about the departure.

Comment

I am starting to believe that I take it a bit harder than my SO does. I just got back from visiting my SO... and I feel like a complete mess. After he left for the car from dropping me off at the airport, I have been crying on and off throughout the plane ride, and ever since I got into the house. It feels as if I left "home" and I am back in a place where I don't feel at home... I feel a bit out of place.

Comment

I hate the leaving part. Because I'm such a sentimental person, I feel the tears welling up in my eyes whenever I hug him at the airport. I know he doesn't like it either. Hand-holding had never felt so painful to me at that moment.

Comment

Honestly, I'm going to say that I'm the one who takes it harder, although its hard on him as well.
                          He does his best to be strong for me, because I fall apart.

On my last visit to NY I stayed for 4 months. He had a hard time after I left because he'd gotten used to me being there when he got home from work. My stuff was no longer scattered all over the bathroom counter, and he hated going into the kitchen because I kind of took it over. I left some if my stuff behind too. Mostly the clothes and shoes that he liked best on me. I wanted him to be reminded of me when he opened his closet.

So I guess it's hard for both of us, but I'm more of a basket case.

Comment

Working...
                          X